Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Anyone here got any experience regarding Saphir Renovateur?

I've used it and it works pretty well. I use on my dress shoes, lays a great foundation for polish waxes. really great shine and results. I don't use it on my work boots so can't speak to that. 

^ Nice work!

These have really grown on me over the years. Upon developing an interest in work boots, I started out not liking the white vibram sole or even the moc-toe. Fast forward 7-8 years and I love the classic look.

Edited by patrick_b

Nice looking boots but they are approaching Viberg prices...

That brown rough out is pretty though 

They're only that expensive if you get them through 3rd parties that have boots in stock or do special makeups. Wesco does charge for "upgrades," but for the most part they are on par with White's ($400-$500).

^ Nice work!

These have really grown on me over the years. Upon developing an interest in work boots, I started out not liking the white vibram sole or even the moc-toe. Fast forward 7-8 years and I love the classic look.

Agreed.  I am not generally a fan of the wedge sole or Christy sole or those various forms of it; but I do think it looks good on the classic Red Wing.  Just like Clapton wore...

Does anyone know how long the turnaround is for the Alden restoration process?

I have a pair of natrual chromexcel Indy boots that I've worn heavily for the last two to three years and I'm interested in getting them redone.

Soliciting recommendations/suggestions….

I purchased a pair of White’s back in August and have worn them fairly regularly since. I try not to wear them on consecutive days, and on their days off, they get a cedar shoetree. I was caught in a decent rainstorm Monday on my way to work and I had the pleasure of a squeaky right boot all day in the office. When I got home, I immediately stuffed them with paper towels/newspaper to try to wick some moisture away, and then treed them overnight and all day Wednesday. To my dismay, the boot continues to squeak across the top at the toecap. To no avail, I rubbed a small amount of Obenauf’s on the problem area. I own other capped footwear and have never had this happen. Is there anything else I should try, or am I going to have to weather through audible footwear until the leather breaks-in a bit more?

It's obviously a matter of personal preferences. In my opinion, it doesn't necessarly look bad, but it can be a bit boring. I think I would go for a black boot with a contrast welt/sole to add a bit of a twist. Whatever floats your boat. :)

Thanks. Yeah, all black would be pretty boring. The first pair could look nice.

I'd really prefer to get an acorn or marron pair, but they're so spensive. Wish I could find a worn pair.

Used to have a pair of Alden Indy in whiskey cordovan. Really regretting my decision to sell those right now =/

Edited by An Oxymoron

Like Integra said, what ever floats ur boat. I think a black boot w/ brown welt looks great w/ dark indigo denim. 

FWIW,  I love Tricker's and think they are worth every penny. They don't seem to get much attention around here, but they are probably my favorite boot/shoe maker of all, and that includes White's, Nick's, Chipp's, RW, Alden, etc.

I have two pairs - One pair of Stow's (brogue wingtip, similar to your post) in all black, and a heavier duty acorn pair w/ brown welt & commando sole. The black pair looks great with indigo denim during the day when you can see the detail on the boots, and but at night they knida get lost, even inside w/ good lighting. A brown welt would really set them off. 

keep an eye on their ebay store. Also checkout STP

Getting four pairs of my boots and shoes resoled by Dr Sole in Taipei. Supplied him with the Vibram soles as obviously he only sells his own branded ones.

He's just done the first pair, which involved removing the original crepe sole and resoling with a ripple sole:

tumblr_nfrcujbNR71t14nbjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nfrcdb2WtD1t14nbjo1_1280.jpg

Double stitched...

tumblr_nfrcptttOy1t14nbjo1_1280.jpg

Photos from his Tumbler http://originaldrsole.tumblr.com/

Edited by rirawin

I was wondering if someone could give me some sizing advice on White's semi dress boots. I'm planning on ordering a new pair from White's after the new year, so they should be able to take care of sizing for me. But, just in case I happen to find a used pair before then, I'd like to know what size to look for. I've never really owned a pair of high-end boots to compare to, so it's tough for me to guess.

I typically wear an 11D in steel-toed work boots; my Danners, Thorogoods, and Rocky's are all an 11D. Same goes for Clark's Wallabees and Desert Boots, and low-top Chuck Taylors. I'm a US 11 (UK 10) in the English-made Doc Martens. I'm typically a 12-13 in tennis shoes and running shoes; 12EE in New Balance 574, 12 in Onitsuka Tigers, and a 13 in Nike Free Run (I sized up on the Nike's because my feet tend to swell a bit running 10+ miles at a time).

I checked the Shoe Sizing thread, but didn't see many comparisons in these sizes, and what was there was mainly comparing Whites to Viberg's, Alden's, etc. I don't have any expereince with either so it didn't really give me much clarification. Thanks.

Anybody have any recommendations for boots that are shaped like these viberg service boots, but aren't necessarily that expensive?

http://viberg.com/products/service-boot-colour-8-chromexcel

$720 USD is a bit steep for me :/ but looking for something that would last a couple years and is at most around the $300 range

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...