Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

^ It’s hard to stop staring at those, they are amazing!

is there much difference between Obenauf's and Sno Seal? 

Need to add some type of protection to my boots, and I have a can of Sno Seal laying around.

I personally cannot stand the smell of Sno Seal so would use Obenaufs. Huberds also works great and smells good too.

Agreed (although as an Englishman I'd prefer they were termed 'derbys'!) - and I really like these. The '54' shoe last looks great. In other images I haven't been too convinced but these are fantastic.

At first glance I thought the quarters were a different leather, giving a pretty cool two tone effect - I realise they aren't of course.

Your eyes are correct, for whatever reason the counters are a darker natural cxl than the toe vamps, my hunch is the lasting stretched the leather and being of the pull up variety the vamps became lighter. 

should also mention that i requested these without the toe reinforcement which resulted in a lower profile toe. 

Edited by themexican

Makes sense, and looks good!

Is the arch ease any less with the shoe on this last?

I read one review I think that suggested they size bigger than the regular Whites lasts, was that your experience?

Please post some more pics! A top down would be great and a side profile would be great if you have time ;-)

no problem

15645433545_ef5e905fbc.jpgimage by jgomez541, on Flickr

15459291628_b48917fe13.jpgimage by jgomez541, on Flickr

thanks! I think the arch ease is not quite as pronounced but still quite comfortable and supportive. I have spent all day on my feet in them with no soreness or fatigue. I have whites on the semi-dress and the swing last all in a size, 8D. I can wear the oxfords/derbies comfortably with thin to mid-weight socks, the boots are most comfortable with heavy to mid-weight socks. as summer shoes they are perfect, really looking forward to next spring. 

full specs btw are

retro oxford

natural cxl

brass eyes

double midsole

heel lowered 1/4"

close trim

Edited by themexican

Thanks Hoggreaser. I have tried different things. Obenauf's heavy duty lp once, red wing boot oil once and mustang paste once.

Of the three I think mustang paste is my favourite. Obenauf's left a sticky surface and rw boot oil darkened the boots quite alot. Mustang paste did not leave any sticky surface and did not darkened the boots much.

Nizzel,

How do you manage to keep the sole edges of your RW chukkas so clean and white? I clean the edges of my moc toe soles with an old toothbrush every now and then but it doesn't really seem to make much difference.

Nizzel,

How do you manage to keep the sole edges of your RW chukkas so clean and white? I clean the edges of my moc toe soles with an old toothbrush every now and then but it doesn't really seem to make much difference.

My advice: baby wipes! :biggrin:

Just took delivery of first pair of whites and all I can say is wow. I knew they were built to last, but jesus they feel like tanks but at the same time they're super comfy. Arch support is bang on for my feet, and already feel great. But then again I am just going to be sitting around in them all night.

I'll throw up some pics later on, but I will say I was inspired by Megas Whites, and just needed something for work so didn't go balls to the wall

Edited by bradl

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...