Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I appreciate the great reply's!!

I want to stay under $500 not because I cant afford it (I am cheap though), but because I know I wouldnt appreciate a top quality boot.  It would be like throwing a 16yr old in a $100,000 car.

ill look up some of these brands you all are mentioning. 

So far I like the  WWII Impressions Boondockers & Iron Rangers.

for $429 you can get a stock Nick's Robert 6" brown boot. Hard to beat that boot for the price. 

http://nicksboots.com/shop/stock-boots.html 

didnt peep that until I read your post

To my mind it looks great.  I've seen some other round toe boots that go too far toward the clown look, but the IRs pull it off I think.  Of course, everyone has their own ideas on chunky vs sleeker boots..

I was looking at the beckman on rw's site and noticed several models were offered in wide widths at some point. Does anyone have any idea where to get these or if they are still even made? The red wing store here told me they never offered anything other than normal width. I'm really in the market for something similar but I really do need a wider width.

If they're a Red Wing store, they should be able to order, for you, anything they are allowed to sell in your location. I wonder if you should just demand it and see what happens haha

It could be the salesman just didnt know his shit, but it looks like according the the website they haven't done another run in wide widths or something. In any case, if anyone knows of anything similar (service boot style, smaller stack, wide widths, ~$200-300) please let me know. I've been scouring and can't find jack shit.

So I just skimmed this thread, and it seems everything in here is $500+

quite the contrary, actually -- there have been numerous posts with quality boots that cost less than € 100 -- some vintage, some bargains et al. if you know what you want and you keep looking patiently, there are plenty of great boots to choose from.

Perfect...I'm just looking for overall impressions. Mainly how well they hold up to actual usage. I'll be hunting/hiking in them if I pick them up. I don't mind paying $600 occasionally for a great pair of boots, but I do mind it if I find out they are shit a year later. They also claim to be pretty seriously waterproof because of the double vamp...is that an accurate claim? Comfortable? Etc...thanks in advance.

They are extremely comfortable, especially on the Munson last. I have one pair that is triple vamp and is pretty much water tight even when stood in water over the toe. single vamp ones let in water on the top around the moccasin toe.

If you want them for wet weather hunting, definitely go for triple vamp.

They have a good range of leather choices and sole options. If you don't like the sole light and flexible, make sure to get a shank. Also, they don't come with heel and toe reinforcement so make sure to decide on these things too.

Overall, I rate them pretty high. I love my custom ones.

and another steal!

just got my swedish army boots from 1942(!) in black, those will be so cool. size is 42/43 -- corresponds to a north american size 9, inner sole is 28 cm, like a red wing moc toe. thick socks, and off they go!

crap pics, but i'll take some after they're cleaned and treated -- price was € 45 including shipping from britain. :ph34r2::happy:

company/brand is named "NORDSKO" and has a great looking logo stamped into the inner sole -- interesting company history, too -> john löfquist skomanufaktur (löfsko) in jönköping bought nordsko (from stockholm) sometime in the early 1910s or 1920s. at the outbreak of world war ii, they produced 80,000 pairs per year. in 1957, they ceased production of men's shoes and focused on women's footwear.

http://100xkulturarv.wordpress.com/utstallningar/skornas-kulturarv/lofsko/

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Edited by cameosis

They are extremely comfortable, especially on the Munson last. I have one pair that is triple vamp and is pretty much water tight even when stood in water over the toe. single vamp ones let in water on the top around the moccasin toe.

If you want them for wet weather hunting, definitely go for triple vamp.

They have a good range of leather choices and sole options. If you don't like the sole light and flexible, make sure to get a shank. Also, they don't come with heel and toe reinforcement so make sure to decide on these things too.

Overall, I rate them pretty high. I love my custom ones.

Thanks Fre-co...exactly what I was looking for...

Another good example of a decent bit of kit under $500!

Under $300, for that matter.

Sorry to hear about the sizing, did you go true to brannock?

Strangely, I don't know what my brannock size is. I went with the smallest size they had, but it was still too large. Stupid petite feet. Oh well, they've probably saved me from spending a ton of money on awful shoes over the years.

For the person who is looking for quality boots for under $300, I've got some ideas. Not meant to be exhaustive, but it should help for people who don't want to read through the whole thread.

Reasonably affordable work boots

1. Red Wing - just wait for a clearance sale. I bought 875s in a different leather from Nordstroms for $160 earlier this year. I have chukkas from Redwing I think I paid $120 for. If you're flexible about when you buy and just keep looking (Black Friday is coming...), you'll find something.

2. Thorogood - They're cheap (for their classic models, they also have expensive horsehide boots as well). They've got a decent heritage vibe. They'll likely last as long as you need them to (or at least until you decide you have to spend $400 on a pair of boots).

3. Chippewa - Their classic workwear boots are very reasonably priced. They are working on coming out with a brand new heritage line (I saw the line at the Ace in NYC this year), but actually getting the boots to market is taking forever.

4. Danner - The new Stumptown collection has a number of shoes/boots in your price range and Danner has a great reputation in the Pacific Northwest.

5. William Lennon - Maybe the greatest price to value combination out there. I don't own a pair, but they look bulletproof and people seem to love them. 

Dress:

1. Allen Edmonds - I know they're looked down upon, but the factory seconds/discontinued models for $150/pair are a great deal.

2. Meermin - newer brand, some customer service issues (see the styleforum thread), but great value for money and more stylish/sleek than Allen Edmonds.

3. Herring - Rebranded Loakes, I think, but they offer a great price to value ratio, especially when they hit their clearance/end of year sales.

Any other ideas?

Great list, thanks for putting it together.

I have a couple of thoughts to add-

I haven't owned a pair, but I know several people that do, and they're uniformly impressed with the quality of Thorogood boots.  Great value, very underappreciated.

William Lennon boots are phenomenal, but the fact that they don't offer half sizes is problematic.  I ultimately sold my pair because I fell between sizes.  Build quality was strong and they were easily one of the heaviest pairs of boots I've ever owned.  I'm sure they would last forever with even half assed care.

Wesco has a Factory Seconds section that has both boots that didn't make it through inspection (usually something cosmetic, like irregular stitching) and customer returns.  If you check regularly, you might just score a great deal.

For the person who is looking for quality boots for under $300, I've got some ideas. Not meant to be exhaustive, but it should help for people who don't want to read through the whole thread.

Reasonably affordable work boots

1. Red Wing - just wait for a clearance sale. I bought 875s in a different leather from Nordstroms for $160 earlier this year. I have chukkas from Redwing I think I paid $120 for. If you're flexible about when you buy and just keep looking (Black Friday is coming...), you'll find something.

2. Thorogood - They're cheap (for their classic models, they also have expensive horsehide boots as well). They've got a decent heritage vibe. They'll likely last as long as you need them to (or at least until you decide you have to spend $400 on a pair of boots).

3. Chippewa - Their classic workwear boots are very reasonably priced. They are working on coming out with a brand new heritage line (I saw the line at the Ace in NYC this year), but actually getting the boots to market is taking forever.

4. Danner - The new Stumptown collection has a number of shoes/boots in your price range and Danner has a great reputation in the Pacific Northwest.

5. William Lennon - Maybe the greatest price to value combination out there. I don't own a pair, but they look bulletproof and people seem to love them. 

Dress:

1. Allen Edmonds - I know they're looked down upon, but the factory seconds/discontinued models for $150/pair are a great deal.

2. Meermin - newer brand, some customer service issues (see the styleforum thread), but great value for money and more stylish/sleek than Allen Edmonds.

3. Herring - Rebranded Loakes, I think, but they offer a great price to value ratio, especially when they hit their clearance/end of year sales.

Any other ideas?

dope list.

Ended up going with the Chippewa Service Boots.

Were about $200 on Amazon.  

Will save this list for the future though.

I used to get new boots, but then I realized that, if you don't mind someone else breaking in your insole, used boots is a good way to go. I've found many boots either online or vintage shopping around North America for pretty good prices. I've found Alden's for $200, Red Wings for $80, Chippewa's for $60, etc. etc. Its been getting more difficult because the market is all over the place, but sometimes sellers just want to move stuff and a good deal can be had.

I think Chippewa is a good bargain, especially when you can get your hands on an 80's era boots which I found a pair for $120, dead stock. The linings were still leather, and the upper leather was a couple of ounces thicker.

I never worry about the soles, because that can always be repaired. Just make sure the uppers is not too dried out.

spence at okun's!?

spence the 2010 bucos were 85000 yen right?

Yes they are! I'm thinking you're thinking of the pre-2008 Buco's which were cheaper back then. I think when they bought back the 2010's they were already ¥126800. The leather is different in this pair, but it still had the big yellow box it came in back then. All Buco boots now are delivered in a big black box.

^Perfect...Would love to see your favorites once they're back in your possession...

Cole - love all of those boots. Want to see your fav's. But those Buco's - wow!

Thank you! I will post it once it returns.

Is your favorite pair the suede Chips or the green shorties?

The suede Chipps that you can get everywhere. I don't know but they were my first pair of welted boots! Like my first love or something. They were cheap, $100 or so, but 8 years later, they are still here with me and still fits great.

Impulse buy "man sneakers" or Uggs for thugs if you prefer. Picked up for significantly less than half retail price, comfortable, I'm happy.

Personally I don't like that type of sole on engineers (prefer heels myself) but the boots themselves look really nice! Is that rough out mixed in?

Recently picked up a couple pairs of boots.  Little wear on either but just applied some Bick 4 conditioner to the Aldens and Venetian Leather Balm to the Chukkas, so thought I'd share some photos.  Both very comfortable.

John

Red Wing Chukkas

IMG_1963.jpg

Alden 403

IMG_1972.jpg

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...