Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

On a highly semantic level, you are correct.  Ed didn't "claim" anything about Lofgren having products made in China, he "implied" it.  However, when a person who positions themselves as an authority on a type of things insinuates something like that, most readers will have doubt about the veracity of Lofgren producing exclusively in Japan.  Saying "who knows!?" doesn't soften the insinuation that Lofgren is producing in China, it underscores the idea of "how do you know Lofgren produces in Japan?" that it seems like he was getting at.  If you don't understand how that can be damaging to a brand that has built it's reputation on it's production, then I'm not sure what else to say.

Edited by tmadd

i guess we agree that he didn't claim that lofgren was produced in china; imo he raised skepticism about the integrity of these makers who unreasonably jack up their prices and how far they are willing to go for their profits.  and really, in the words of "the master": "who knows?"  

being hyper defensive doesn't make me as a consumer feel any more confident about these producers, indeed it makes me even more skeptical.  i wasn't sure why you became so hyper defensive until i remembered these: http://www.selfedge.com/john-lofgren-and-company?product_id=1219  i dont' blame you, i guess we all have to find a way to eat our donuts

Edited by ironheartfan123

Let's not make the mistake of conflating the pricing/profits claims Edmond was making with insinuating that somebody is producing somewhere other than where they say they are.

My comment immediately following Edmond's response about that wasn't really intended to be read seriously…if me calling Edmond a "donut slanging sack of shit" was interpreted as me trying to start a fight or being defensive, then the error in tone is mine.  Edmond read it exactly as I intended for it to be read, told me to shut up, and moved along.  I don't agree with all of the arguments that Edmond made in his Viberg vs Lofgren assessment, but I also didn't think anything (except the China implication) was counterfactual…just a difference in opinion…not something anybody wanted to read a debate on.  The "donut accusation" was an off handed joke I was making based on the commonly recited (at least I've heard it a lot) notion that donuts are one of the highest profit margin prepared foods, and the fact that Edmond has previously been involved with a donut business.  

The China bit was a response to a later post that thought I was taking someone's assessment of boots personally, and I was acknowledging exactly why I did.  Without directly saying so, I was assuming a common knowledge on this thread that I work for Self Edge, and Self Edge carries Lofgren.  I was attempting to acknowledge that by saying "I end up having to answer questions…" This is a whole different scenario than if someone said: "hey, I have actual reason to believe brand x is lying about there they are producing, this is a real concern," which is something I personally would take very seriously, and do what I could to address those issues.  My fundamental issue is with Edmond flippantly saying "maybe it's made in China, who knows?"  I think the fact that you and I are now having this conversation proves what a detrimental thing an irresponsible statement like that can be.  I acknowledge that my reactions have also played a part, but I hope you can understand that it's difficult to decide between not addressing the issue and hoping nobody takes Edmond seriously, and responding and risking "seeming hyper defensive" as you've said I do.  

Now, I feel like a jerk for derailing one of my favorite threads, and I'm probably going to have to spend some time today cleaning up boots so I can take photos to post as an apology.

whoaaa i didnt know this could blow up like this but then again. who would know about china and japan productions eh? who knows he never posted a picture of the factory and all. again we will never know

can anyone help a brother out with suggestions of footwear brands? 

affordable and nice

ex. ralph lauren, brooks brothers, cole haan 

cole haan was always my go-to brand but i feel as though their design and quality are leaking [rapidly]

...headed to a gala next wednesday. rented a tux; don't own any (formal) black shoes. not looking for something super elegant that i could only wear with a tuxedo, but perhaps something just fancy enough that i could dress down a bit.

would greatly appreciate your vast knowledge and recommendations. thanks!

Question for the cordovan buffs out there...  Horween doesn't still make color #2 or many of the non-standard colors these days, do they?  I saw a 20 pair limited 20th Anniversary pair of color 2 Alden longwings go for $1825 on eBay today (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alden-Shell-Cordovan-Color-2-Longwings-7D-Barrie-Holy-Grail-of-Aldens-/121434541180 ) and was just curious about that leather.  Was it probably just deadstock?  My impression was the only way to get more unique colors in a new build was to buy from Rancourt, who dyes the cordovans themselves.  If Alden was building boots in that #2, I'd probably have to get a pair, presuming the price wasn't $1825...

a pair of lotus veldtschoen boots, great color fade from bottom to top -- size is uk 7 g (wide), outside length of the sole is 290 mm. toe box is unfortunately very flat, so toes feel a bit uncomfortable. will have to see if a cobbler can stretch/widen the boxes, otherwise i'll have to look for a pair in size uk 8.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

So I think the new WWII Impressions Boondockers are finally shipping, as I noticed the charge on my card. I put myself on the wait list back in February of 2013 when the price was $179. The new batch has raw corded soles, which is cool I suppose, but they boosted the price to $250. Whatever, I've been on the wait list for over a year and a half, and I'd still like a pair. The charge on my card is $307.39. Holy damn. I guess they are charging sales tax because I'm in CA, which would be just under $25, so they must be charging $35 to ship them.

I assume they are still made by Corcoran, and I assume Corcoran's quality and quality control have not improved. I remember previous Boondockers having lots of loose threads and less than exemplary stitching, but for a decent boot made in America for $179, it was easy to look past those issues. Even the picture of the new ones they used for the website shows a burn mark on the edge of the midsole:

rawcordboondockers2_small.jpg

I swear if these things aren't perfect or don't feel rock solid they're going back and I'm getting a Hathorn Rainier, or possibly a faux Flightmaster.

I am aware of McCoys. The construction and materials are probably much better, but I'm not a fan of the toe profile, and considering I'm bitching about $300 Boondockers, I don't think the solution is $1000 Boondockers. You'd make a good automobile salesperson though.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...