Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I have no idea on the how and where, but I have sent a series of questions to people who do know. This particular set of pics is from Wesco Japan.

Wesco does some "custom" makeups for their Japan branch, such as the Flightmaster (the picture) and the Narrows engineer boot. They tend to have proprietary lasts and things like triple stitching, which you wouldn't be able to order in a custom makeup yourself, but you could get close. The two boots mentioned cost between 3 and 4 times what a regular Wesco boot would cost (so about $1600). The Flightmaster is basically a Packer boot on a last called "Narrows" (or 1339) which is a modified Motorcycle Patrol last with a taller heel. The Flightmaster came out several years ago, and at this point you can order custom boots with it, and the lower heel Motorcycle Patrol last, though they are not advertised on the site. You can basically customize that exact boot now for $450 or so. This info is as I understand it, and might have some inaccuracy. I don't own any Wesco boots.

ALSO, Garden Gnomes In Space: do you have any recent (or broken-in) pictures of your black cxl Bounty Hunters?? They are one of my favorite White's makeups, and I'm curious to see how they'e turned out.

nota bene: the boot you posted in a 7" height, which (along with the MP and 1339 lasts) is not an available option for the Packer boot on Wesco's site. You must add special request at the end. Or order through Bakers (b-ewing @ styleforum has a pair like this, he went through bakers. Much of this info is via his experience ordering.)

i just saw someone on ebay selling a pair of black lofgrens

they look exactly like my lonewolfs from sugarcae. except for the toe box everything is the same

even the small nail hole on the heel where they sew on the label the roller buckles the top shaft the way it collapse after use. i dont know why hes selling it more than sugarcane. volume maybe? more clarifications pls

nota bene: the boot you posted in a 7" height, which (along with the MP and 1339 lasts) is not an available option for the Packer boot on Wesco's site. You must add special request at the end. Or order through Bakers (b-ewing @ styleforum has a pair like this, he went through bakers. Much of this info is via his experience ordering.)

If you call Wesco and speak to someone they can do the 7" height and the MP toe on the Packer, so you'll get something pretty close to the Flightmaster. The customer service at Wesco is really great! I was thinking of ordering a boot like that recently because Wesco was having a sale, but I don't have the funds.

Sagara make beautiful and extremely well made boots by hand, but Bagus (the owner) is a bit of a mental hippy. Really nice guy, and extremely good at what he does, but organisation is not one of his strengths.

You will not be disappointed with the boots though, they are far better than their price suggests. Given the choice between Sagara or Red Wing (or a similar brand) I would take Sagara every time.

Wesco does some "custom" makeups for their Japan branch, such as the Flightmaster (the picture) and the Narrows engineer boot. They tend to have proprietary lasts and things like triple stitching, which you wouldn't be able to order in a custom makeup yourself, but you could get close. The two boots mentioned cost between 3 and 4 times what a regular Wesco boot would cost (so about $1600). The Flightmaster is basically a Packer boot on a last called "Narrows" (or 1339) which is a modified Motorcycle Patrol last with a taller heel. The Flightmaster came out several years ago, and at this point you can order custom boots with it, and the lower heel Motorcycle Patrol last, though they are not advertised on the site. You can basically customize that exact boot now for $450 or so. This info is as I understand it, and might have some inaccuracy. I don't own any Wesco boots.

ALSO, Garden Gnomes In Space: do you have any recent (or broken-in) pictures of your black cxl Bounty Hunters?? They are one of my favorite White's makeups, and I'm curious to see how they'e turned out.

I will post some pics when I have a moment.  We have a 7 week old daughter thats running the show right now, so send me a PM as a reminder if I dont post in the next couple days.  

I have not worn them in a while since i have been wearing my Bakers Oxfords almost exclusively

Sagara make beautiful and extremely well made boots by hand, but Bagus (the owner) is a bit of a mental hippy. Really nice guy, and extremely good at what he does, but organisation is not one of his strengths.

You will not be disappointed with the boots though, they are far better than their price suggests. Given the choice between Sagara or Red Wing (or a similar brand) I would take Sagara every time.

LOL, good description (Mental hippy).  Not directed at Sagara, or anyone really but in this day and age get your shit together and build a proper web site.  Im so sick of dealing with shitty sites that look like they were build for Netscape Navigator.  

edit* fuck it, Im calling out Whites Boots and History Preservation Associates.  

Edited by garden gnomes in space

I feel like I've seen some pics of Sagaras where the leather and workmanship appears sub-par after some wear, but can't remember where now.  If not, they are definitely a nice price...

Maybe some older stuff (I haven't seen any), but certainly not anything they've made in the last couple of years. The problem they used to have, which is common to all SE Asian leather brands, was getting quality leather. I know that most, if not all, of these brands now source better leathers from Europe, the USA and South America now.

Here's my Whites.  iPhone pics.  If I were to do it again, I would get a block heel (lowered, maybe) and a different leather. Also a full sole, not the half sole.   CXL is nice but its missing something, cant put my finger on it..

I might send them to Brian the Bootmaker and have the celastic toe removed, and try to get a more streamlined sole put on, similar to Viberg.  Not sure though.  

34A83049-4F20-4DE9-AEC5-1887325F48C6_zpsF128B440-8753-4D35-B4F0-F5CF18CBDE0C_zpsEBF2BCEB-1FCE-4F8E-9F68-C1452E01C4EA_zps

Edited by garden gnomes in space

Thinking about selling a lot of my sneakers and start buying leather shoes. Only shoes I've been wearing the last couple of months are visvim and redwing so I might as well clear some of my sneakers

Careful of what you sell as I did the same and now regret some of my choices. I only wear boots now in poor weather or when temperatures drop, wearing them in summer is just overkill with most of the pairs I own. I've now gotta decent split of boots, trainers and shoes with some top notch models in all formats!

Just around 50 pairs in total now...although trainers make up 60% of the collection.

cxl leather is just a hype really except for the natural cxl who i think

is a great leather aesthetically. i suggest use usr that pair first wear

it down to pulp before you send them to brian. i did the sAme to my smoke jumpers

( block heel lowered and all) regretted it , wanna go back to cuban standard heel

I have Red Wing Chukkas with the same soles.  Is the consensus that the uppers are fine but the soles should be replaced (when necessary) with something more durable (Vibram, Christy, Armortred).  Is this the kind of thing a competent shoemaker can do?

Edited by JohnM

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...