Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

What's the standard height of the Nomad's shaft?

Ed, if Baker chop off the shaft they need to reconstruct the top of the shaft and reattach the top straps and buckles, isn't that costly?

Recently decided that a vibram lug sole was a better option for my 1000 mile boots.  I posted pics of the previous sole awhile back, but here is it again

7ac94d64.jpg

I had a couple of slips this winter and the last straw was I reinjured or re-tore meniscus in my left knee.  So I took them back to my boot guy to put on a lug sole.  I put the same sole on a pair of Allen Edmonds boots so figured it was an easy switch.

Wasn't the case apparently with the Wolverines.  I can't explain it myself but they are not worth their pricetag.  My guy told me to stick with Allen Edmonds.

Anyways, here are some pics

DSCN5886_zps7e2c0e33.jpg

The shoe is perfectly balanced.

DSCN5889_zpsf5e31cdf.jpg

He had to trim a good portion of the heel in order to have the boot balance (cant)

DSCN5890_zps54e5d203.jpg

close up of the heel and how much was taken off

DSCN5887_zpsb147c913.jpg

The sole itself

DSCN5888_zps4c638e90.jpg

I think they look great with the new sole.  I also think I am very fortunate to have such a talented cobbler.

Recently dyed some shoes and shirts for the fiancé's bday and during the session decided to dye my iron rangers as well. it's a ton of blue but i think it came out really well! These were all done by Rain of Darn It. 

VqSo7JVl.jpg

Z0k82Ftl.jpg

UdUfrKtl.jpg

zWpQ3Ill.jpg

ecOppkZl.jpg

I recently sold my MF Road Champs because of the heel slippage.

Is it always to be expected in engineer boots or do I need to search for another brand/model?

I have fairly thin ankles and legs so I'm probably looking for an engineer boot with thin shafts? 

Any suggestions? Preferably a black leather that fades to brown and soft toe.

Get the Phigvel version that Hickorees has available now in black. They literally hit every criteria you are looking for.

Plus they look awesome, the celastic toe collapses to a nice flat look with wear, and they have a number of other nice details you may not notice until you get them in hand.

Hey Slab, I know that Brian the Bootmaker is going to start making Role Club engineers. I think they will be made to order, so that should solve your heel slippage. Seeing his repair work, I think his boots will be great. You might want to contact him about price. I think they will be available soon.

I'd like to see a worn pair of those Phigvels as well.

Ray do you have any shots of a worn-in Phigvel boot?  I don't think I've seen any, but the leather they use looks *really* nice.

I've been thinking about these as well. I think this might be a pic of them (at least that's what the tag said when I searched on google images).

http://a1.smlycdn.com/data/product2/1/8217fd22441f95ad9bbe9870caaf9f83e4c4ac32_m.jpg

Edited by Quoise1203

hey Rayw44, I think you had to pre-order for those; site of Hickorees shows them as sold out

thanks superfuzz, I forgot about Brian, definitely an option

hi guys kyle is gonna give me 5 percent off if there are 4 of us and more discount the more we add to the bulk buy

Ed, is this still on, or should i contact Kyle directly? Sorry, pm-ing you doesn't work.

Any updates on using SD brown dress leather on a Nomad?

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...