Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Cucoo: what they are making looks like it is just made by Thorogood, or whomever Thorogood uses to make their boots. If it is the same factory, the quality should be nice for $100. But if I had to pay $285 for a pair, I would probably rather just find a pair of Thorogoods for cheaper.

Noodle: Herman seems to have been a very good manufacturer through at least the 60s and 70s. The boots you see from them through that period are always well constructed and have nicer materials.

Their quality declined after that, and sometime in the 70s or 80s they acquired (not sure whether it was by merger or purchase or something else) Santa Rosa. They made some nice boots for awhile after the acquisition, although definitely of lower quality than their earlier stuff.

After the 80s, it seems like the quality was more or less garbage. I don't think I have much more knowledge about the brand, but what specifically were you hoping to learn?

Cucoo: what they are making looks like it is just made by Thorogood, or whomever Thorogood uses to make their boots. If it is the same factory, the quality should be nice for $100. But if I had to pay $285 for a pair, I would probably rather just find a pair of Thorogoods for cheaper.

That's interesting. Since I'm in Europe it would be $150 with shipping plus 19% in taxes, so I'm still thinking about it. I doubt shipping would be cheaper when using a service like Borderlinx. That still wouldn't be a outrageous price if the quality is decent, so I pledged for the time being, still have more than a month to decide.

What type of boot are you specifically looking for, and in what size? You can try flea markets in your area, estate sales, or even thrift stores, but that's a crap shoot.

If you're looking for engineer boots specifically, try sending Zip Stevenson an email. He's got a lot of Chippewa in stock from the 40s on and can probably get you something close to what you are looking for.

Thanks ray for the info. My father had a pair of marine green Herman survivors he purchased in the late 60's. At one point I wore them for scouts, my brother before that. They never fit right but it was a rite to wear them. Those Survivors and my fathers imperial brogues were directly responsible for my current obsession. I have since found a couple of pairs on ebay. Will see. Thanks again ray.

Been waiting two months now for better weather to snap pics but im bored tonight and want to share.

Snuck in a final Viberg MTO under the wire. Just started by telling Morgan I wanted a Tobacco color and we went from there! Took delivery in January. 

I am totally jealous...  Really nice boots!

I have no idea who made this pair of engineer boots or how old they are. They don't seem like total crap though. Got them for real cheap, currently feeding them, they're drinking wax like mad. If I decide to keep them they'll need new heels first thing.

jkto.jpg
jxkt.jpg

Only possibly identifying mark is the number stamped on them, but Google doesn't turn up anything meaningful.

6bdp.jpg

Can you show a better pic of the heels and any internal markings? Up close shots of the soles and the sole construction would be helpful too.

Sure! Don't know if this will be any help though. The insides are without any markings.

rn5k.jpg

64ad.jpg

varp.jpg
y70y.jpg
hh8m.jpg

I think that these are nothing "fancy", probably some no-name European retail store brand.

Cucoo you are probably right about the no name nature of the boots, but they still look like a nice pair. The sole is goodyear welted, the heels are made with stacked leather, and the construction looks pretty good. Definitely worth keeping if they fit you, and they look sort of like a better quality version of what Frye does.

Yeah, they're solid and the leather is nice and thick and without major faults too. I was looking into getting a pair of Red Wing engineers and these are perfect to see if I'd get enough wear out of engineer boots to justify a 300€ purchase :) 

Wear them, Cucoo

I will :) Here they are after 2 coats of wax and 1 coat of conditioner, I'm pleased with the leather, it looks a lot less dull now.

4tg7.jpg
69xe.jpg
4j1b.jpg

And I finally have a pair of chunky boots to wear with my LVC 1955 501, those anti fit jeans look silly with slimmer shoes IMO.

ceve.jpg

I also might have found out what these are. They look an awful lot like an older pair of "Cienfuegos by Sendra". If Sendra is involved then quality is really top notch, Sendra is among the two or three go-to brands for awesome quality and hand-made biker and western boots in Europe. Even if they're not handmade in Spain, they should have a lot of life left in them.

Oh, and since I have no self control I couldn't resist on pulling the trigger on these Red Wing 9027 :D

$(KGrHqZ,!ogFI6F+Gc5zBSSZV2Kc-Q~~60_12.J

185 € shipped, too good a deal (I think / hope), although what I really wanted would have been a pair of 2268 in black... my wife will kill me if I start collecting engineers now, though :D

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...