Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I joined the Viberg gang recently; Icy mocha CXL Styleforum collab; I sized the same as my Alden Barrie/Trubalance boots, a bit of room left but works well with thick socks

11139036676_4471f3d9b4.jpg
DSC_0073 by SLAB13, on Flickr

Had to bring in my Alden Roy's yesterday with the cobbler; some stitching came undone...

11139041756_3fac5ed9f8.jpg
DSC_0081 by SLAB13, on Flickr

And gave my Indy's another heel repair treatment; since the first thing to wear out on my shoes are the heels, I picked up this rubber compound product from Japan from Shoes Doctor. You apply the rubber on the worn part of the heels and smear it smoothly over the surface. Apply as much as needed to bring the worn part to the same level as the rest of the heel. Let it dry and you are good to go for another weeks/months.

10844959304_ba960f99da.jpg
DSC_0066 by SLAB13, on Flickr

10844876846_3256d14d8e.jpg
DSC_0069 by SLAB13, on Flickr

Had to bring in my Alden Roy's yesterday with the cobbler; some stitching came undone...

11139041756_3fac5ed9f8.jpg

DSC_0081 by SLAB13, on Flickr

My Alden Cordovan Chukka got the same stitching issue before.

I sent them back to Alden for the repair job. And they charged me nothing and shipped them back to in two weeks.

However, the same issue happened on the place again after one month's wear :wacko:  

do you wear them with thick socks? I have the impression that this problem arised after wearing them for awhile with thick socks. The boots are under more strain but still it should not happen...

do you wear them with thick socks? I have the impression that this problem arised after wearing them for awhile with thick socks. The boots are under more strain but still it should not happen...

No, I wear the chukkas with dress socks.

Many Alden owners report this issue...

That's truly a serious problem for a high-end shoemaker... 

I blame you for this thinfinn!! Shell cordovan cap toes.

These are supposed to be 10E, which is what I wear in White's, but these are a little too big. Looks like I'll be waiting for a pair to be made in 9.5E and try those. Not confident enough in my sizing to go the MTO route yet. Regardless, these shoes are fucking beautiful. Sadly headed back to Viberg this week.

DSC_0767_zpsd9b46266.jpg

DSC_0768_zpsdc17e77b.jpg

DSC_0770_zpseed8e6c1.jpg

DSC_0771_zpsa891d4df.jpg

Actually, scratch that about them being too big - they fit well I've decided. They're just too dressy for me with the frilly cap toe and the sheen of the cordovan. Not a shoe that fits enough of my wardrobe to justify the cost. For the amount these cost I need something that I'll virtually live in. I think the boondocker is more my speed. TIL I'm a 10E in White's, Viberg, Russell...

Anyone own the White's Vintage boot in the Otto line?
http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30474
whites_vintage_boot_flyer_corrected.jpg

Looking for some background info or stats on these...Not sure why they warrant a lower price tag or if this means lower quality, but I'm in the market for another pair of White's ;)

Just realized BLUE GEAR had a pair of the Blacks and comments that the leather wore pretty quickly exposing brown:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/char3red3/archives/cat_41135.html

Anyone own the White's Vintage boot in the Otto line?

http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30474

whites_vintage_boot_flyer_corrected.jpg

Looking for some background info or stats on these...Not sure why they warrant a lower price tag or if this means lower quality, but I'm in the market for another pair of White's ;)

Just realized BLUE GEAR had a pair of the Blacks and comments that the leather wore pretty quickly exposing brown:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/char3red3/archives/cat_41135.html

What really caught my eyes is "Goodyear welt construction."

I didn't realize White's offer true Goodyear welted boots before I saw this. I always prefer Goodyear to stitch-down.  

Thanks for the info, which would really makes me pull the trigger for one pair of those boots. 

Finding myself possibly tempted by these Frye Logan Cap toe boots (in black).  Anyone have any experience with Frye lately?

http://www.thefryecompany.com/mens-boots/new-arrivals/87917/logan-cap-toe?color=BLK

Also, I don't know, do these look more dressy than workboot-y would you say..?  I have always worn light work boots as my everyday shoes, but now they are getting fashionable and I can't always tell if they are still work boots or not!

Wow I love the look of those Fryes! I've never really looked at Frye before. And I would say that they are at least 1 level of work-bootyness of wolverine 1000 mile boots due to the sole and they are definitely work boot looking! I hope that made some sort of sense!?! 

Makes perfect sense!  I am glad for the feedback.  I am thinking of these as possible replacements for my Viberg 110 Horsehides, which I am very reluctant to let go of, but which may just not fit well enough for the long haul.  Of course, I don't expect these to match up to Viberg quality, but they have a lot that I like about them.  I've always liked the look of the black Red Wing Iron Rangers, but the last on them is so narrow I can't make em work.  But these Fryes have a similar plain cap toe, and that white contrasting stitching.  Wouldn't mind a more substantial sole, but overall pretty nice.

Not sure about what sort of leather that is..

But I see they are on Zappos, so may try them out, counting on free shipping and free returns that Zappos offers.

What really caught my eyes is "Goodyear welt construction."

I didn't realize White's offer true Goodyear welted boots before I saw this. I always prefer Goodyear to stitch-down.  

Thanks for the info, which would really makes me pull the trigger for one pair of those boots. 

Hey Thinker, I believe this might have been discussed at length in another thread but what do you prefer about Goodyear welt over stitch-down?

I sometimes think that people who wear Redwings for their intended work purposes are already laughing at all of us for spending hundreds, if not thousands of dollars replicating the workwear image while keeping desk jobs.

coming from someone who wears my Redwings daly, i'm more jealouse that you don't have to destroy your workwear everyday.

my 899's

one pair at a year and a half, worn 40-60 hours a week

the other worn for 8 hours total, haha

IMG_20131125_164038.jpg

IMG_20131125_164214.jpg

IMG_20131125_164236.jpg

Makes perfect sense!  I am glad for the feedback.  I am thinking of these as possible replacements for my Viberg 110 Horsehides, which I am very reluctant to let go of, but which may just not fit well enough for the long haul.  Of course, I don't expect these to match up to Viberg quality, but they have a lot that I like about them.  I've always liked the look of the black Red Wing Iron Rangers, but the last on them is so narrow I can't make em work.  But these Fryes have a similar plain cap toe, and that white contrasting stitching.  Wouldn't mind a more substantial sole, but overall pretty nice.

Not sure about what sort of leather that is..

But I see they are on Zappos, so may try them out, counting on free shipping and free returns that Zappos offers.

These look awful to me, and I've never ever seen a pair of Fryes (aside from Spanish made ladies cowboy boots) that could come close to being worth a $400 price tag.  It has the same shape as every other generic Made In USA heritage boot, and the "soft vegetable tanned" leather is definitely not anything to be excited about.  Vibergs are game changers, but you can't do anything with a boot that doesn't fit.  If you're coming from a pair of Vibergs, the only thing I'm aware that is an equal comparison is another pair of Vibergs, but if it's an issue of $$$ there is a lot you can get for $400ish that is only a very subtle difference from Viberg, qualitywise.  If width is your problem, you can get a pair of Whites Semi-dress custom built in whatever length-width combo you need for the same price or less 

agreed with tmadd on this one. frye boots are absurdly overpriced at $400 esp with so many other brands offering better made boots in that price range like whites semi dress. or you could even spend a lot less on a pair of red wings and it'd be a much better boot than anything frye offers.

^That's what I am wondering about the quality of the Fryes, which I've never owned.  Am thinking also about White's SD, though there are some things I don't like about them.  As far as quality slipping, Red Wing surely has some issues as well of course...

Yes, Vibergs are hard to follow up, and I may end up sticking with these after all.

If anyone has any direct experience with Frye, feel free to chime in.

Hey Thinker, I believe this might have been discussed at length in another thread but what do you prefer about Goodyear welt over stitch-down?

Someone in another forum, who seemed to know what he was talking about, said that all White's have a Goodyear welt even though they look "stitched down" like a Viberg boot.  Also said he preferred that to stitched down because it is more waterproof.  I have to say though, the Vibergs I have had have about as tight a welt as you can imagine; maybe not totally waterproof, but clearly good enough for everyday (and then some).

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...