Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

The WL type 01 (in black or brown Latigo) are identical to the ones that WL make for Dundas with 3 exceptions:

- the stitching is back or brown rather than red

- the pull tab is black or brown rather than tartan

- they have a WL product stamp rather than a Dundas one

That's it.

Oh, I forgot. They're a third of the price!!!

The standard brown Latigo WL version of the Dundas type 01.

EDIT: I have now customized the order with full leather linings and brass rivets on the facings á la WW1 boots.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Hey man, I've used Leatherique on everything from my car's leather interior to Mulholland Brothers Lariat leather (natural finish) to a natural color ostrich belt and never had a problem - stuff works great

Ha, I've started using Lexol on my stuff as I was a bit concerned that Saphir's Renovateur might actually be a little too strong for regular use - try using it on corrected grain and look what it does to the pigment there (apart from Church's Binder leather, which is a better class of CG).

On a different note, can anyone post some pics of the reverse kip on these WL boots?

And in other news, my C&J special order veldts should be on my feet by the weekend...

Dylan, I wouldn't know, I don't have it! Only got a sample swatch, but handled the boot and tried them on in the factory.

I just use a heavy boot lard. You know the stuff, Obenaufs, Huberds boot grease etc, or Chelsea Leather Food - I've tried them all and probably favour the last. In my opinion it's this sort of leather that the heavy grease is better for, I;d use Bick4 on anything smooth out.

Thats cool, I thought that would be the case! This strikes me as the kind of leather that can withstand some pretty severe treatment and I plan to use these boots with no halfsoles so the uppers have to be tough enouph to stand up to multiple resoles! I'm sure the normal WL leather is fine but I kind of like the extreme nature of this leather!

Anyone able to give me some boot recommendations? I'm currently looking at Redwing Iron Rangers in amber harness or copper, but I'm wondering what my other options are? I would like to remain around the same budget and also keep the classic style. I am curious to see what brands you favor.

This looks a lot like Viberg's "brown wax flesh," which they describe basically as roughout that has been heavily waxed...

The 'rough-out' is not in fact all that rough. I've seen hairier, so to speak.

\

11072843204_7606ac72f1_c.jpg

...BrownMetallic has a pair in the black reverse kip, posted in the HWB comp. Sure he can speak further on the leather.

From left to right:  Flat Head SKB-30H (Black), SKB-70H (Red Brown, mine), SKB-30H (Red Brown)

NeXXhsB.jpg

And my boot (left) next to my friend's (right).  These started out the same almost-bright red color, my friend's boot has been worn about six months, and the horsehide leather has changed to a really nice golden brown hue.

oKlUCtQ.jpg

Edited by Cold Summer

...and new.

8384660326_c600d5191f_c.jpg

You mentioned resoling, bear in mind these are not welted. The brass screwed construction is pretty unique and I doubt that a regular cobbler could help. You'd most likely have to send them back when it came to it, although of course the benefit is that they would be resoled on the original last on which they were built. 

Thanks for taking the time to post these up mate, these look absolutely stunning! As for resoling, yes I would send them back to WL, they seem to know what they are doing;-)

Also I like the zug grain steerhide leather they have on their website here...

http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/footwear/107f-field-boot.html

..This looks like it would be a bit tougher than the standard waxy tan leather too!...So many choices!!

The main difference is that the 30H has a round toe and a Vibram 100, while the 70H has a more tapered, western-influenced toe with a Vibram 430 sole.  I can barely get my foot into a 30H, the 70H fits me a lot better - probably because of the lower heel.

The pictures don't quite capture the color difference between the new and used horsehide leather, it's really amazing when you see it in person.  I'm really looking forward to how these evolve over time.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...