Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Went hunting on ebay a while back for something similar to the Thorogood roofer but a little different. Found these Charterhouse boots and figured I'd turn them into something unique.

The shoes originally:

BUulbV4.jpg

I'd wager they were made in the 60-70s; can't find much info on the company online, but the leather was definitely showing some age.

Decided to get them re-soled with Vibram wedges and a leather midsole:

9Vmqao7.jpg

Although the cobbler was able to replace the rather worn outsoles, the uppers were still looking pretty dry. I gave them two coats of Obenauf's leather oil and was greeted with this:

eDdpNup.jpg

They've turned a nice chocolate brown color now that the leather's moisturized. I'll probably hit them again with oil in about a month. Pretty happy with them so far; super comfortable and very light.

Crat, I had a laugh to myself when I scrolled down to that last picture. I was thinking that many years from now, if those boots ended up in a second hand shop or on whatever the future equivalent of ebay is and someone finds that written inside them. The puzzled look on their face would be pretty funny.

Just received these - boots of my dreams , Flathead SKB-30D - the deerskin engineer boots...they are one size too big for me - so have to re-order and I'm sure there's somebody who will give these a home...

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/132925-flathead-engineer-boots-fresh-in-beatles-thrift-store/

038mgskb-30d-s.jpg

The Munson Iron Rangers by Red Wing are mouth-watering!

I always want a pair of boots built on the Munson last because I really like the wider toe box and always want to experience if it is really that comfortable. Currently, there are still several boot-makers using the Munson last to build shoes, for example, Russell Moccasin, Corcoran and Matterhorn, Chippewa (for L.L.Bean), and so on.  

Unfortunately, the Munson Iron Rangers are still Japan-limited now. Perhaps they will be launched in the Easter Asia and European market in the future.  

1450310_580700098651789_1907859653_n.jpg

1463940_580700065318459_993405602_n.jpg

1457487_580700075318458_145659479_n.jpg

1453334_580700131985119_1192698099_n.jpg

All pictures from 2nd Magazine 

The Munson Iron Rangers by Red Wing are mouth-watering!

I always want a pair of boots built on the Munson last because I really like the wider toe box and always want to experience if it is really that comfortable. Currently, there are still several boot-makers using the Munson last to build shoes, for example, Russell Moccasin, Corcoran and Matterhorn, Chippewa (for L.L.Bean), and so on.  

Unfortunately, the Munson Iron Rangers are still Japan-limited now. Perhaps they will be launched in the Easter Asia and European market in the future.  

All pictures from 2nd Magazine 

The munson last is great, my custom russells are on the munson last. They are so much roomier than the standard last. as quoted they hug your heel and arch with a roomy toebox. quite different to anyof my other boots

I was seriously tempted to buy a pair of the Cabourn collab boots that Lofgren had for sale. They are built on the Munson last and in the sand colored rough out/suede were especially nice. Unfortunately I think that the largest Japanese size would have just been a tiny bit too small. I really hope they bring the Munson range to the US and make it in all the leathers that they currently use on the normal Iron Rangers.

I was seriously tempted to buy a pair of the Cabourn collab boots that Lofgren had for sale. They are built on the Munson last and in the sand colored rough out/suede were especially nice. Unfortunately I think that the largest Japanese size would have just been a tiny bit too small. I really hope they bring the Munson range to the US and make it in all the leathers that they currently use on the normal Iron Rangers.

Check this website: http://shop.doubleselect.com/brands/red-wing/nigel-cabourn-for-red-wing-hawthorne.html

Just got my pair from there. 

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/vintage/tma1315-13fw/

or what size do you need? you might find them also from other shops on Rakuten

Thanks, I did find that listing after posting here, but they do not have my size (10 US).  Also, I was hoping not to have to order a pair all the way from Japan. (I am in the US.)

I have never actually seen Toys McCoy boots in person.  Can anyone testify to the quality?  Or sizing?  Or how the leather wears over a few years?  They certainly look really cool, and I think the shape of the boot (narrow heel, wide in the toe area) would work for me.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...