Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Nigel Cabourn x Viberg Boots

Resoled with Original Dr. Sole #1092 Raw Cord full sole

Inspired by the soles on vintage Boondocker boots.

These Raw Cord soles are definitely rare and difficult to produce.

I am super glad that the result is satisfying and these are super match with my Nigel Cabourn x Viberg service boots. 

BTW, the pulverized cord in the sole are hemp twines, rather than nylon cord.

thinker:

These are glorious.

Just a follow up on my question from above...I emailed Danner to see what they recommend for leather treatment on their boots, and they sent me a response that said to never use anything with animal bi-products in it because that means it will seal the pores closed, and then it specifically says to not use anything with mink oil or beeswax in it.  Obviously, Obenauf's has beeswax...

SO...any thoughts?  I've had great success with Obenauf's LP in the past, but I guess I'm just not sure about these Danner boots since the leather has somewhat of a suede-y feel to it...

^^ I've had a pair of Danner's for a few years now and have never done anything than a quick brush or wipe down. Granted they aren't the exact same leather as yours but I wouldn't worry about putting anything on them for awhile. Danner's are waterproof right out of the box. They do make their own care products and I've used some on a different pair of boots with good results. I'll end up using that if/when needed.

The other stuff I use and like a lot more than Obenauf's is called Renapur. It's available from the web.

Nigel Cabourn x Viberg Boots

Resoled with Original Dr. Sole #1092 Raw Cord full sole

Inspired by the soles on vintage Boondocker boots.

These Raw Cord soles are definitely rare and difficult to produce.

I am super glad that the result is satisfying and these are super match with my Nigel Cabourn x Viberg service boots. 

BTW, the pulverized cord in the sole are hemp twines, rather than nylon cord.

1375258_10202313281932457_701090758_n.jp

1375878_10202313281412444_377524606_n.jp

Where are Dr. Soles available? UK only? Any US distributers or a website?

Thinker, another vote for the Raw Cord soles here.

Are the sizes given equivalent to US shoes? (i.e. a size 14 would fit a size 14 US.)

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for your interest.

As for the size-picking, it depends on what brand your shoes/boots is. But, based on my experience, size 14 should be OK as my boot/shoe size is US 13-14, and size 14 fits my boots. 

For your reference, the full length of the sole in size 14 is 371mm, which is approxiamtely equivalent to  14 5/8 inches.

You can reach me at: [email protected]

Thanks again.

Just a follow up on my question from above...I emailed Danner to see what they recommend for leather treatment on their boots, and they sent me a response that said to never use anything with animal bi-products in it because that means it will seal the pores closed, and then it specifically says to not use anything with mink oil or beeswax in it.  Obviously, Obenauf's has beeswax...

SO...any thoughts?  I've had great success with Obenauf's LP in the past, but I guess I'm just not sure about these Danner boots since the leather has somewhat of a suede-y feel to it...

Are your Danners Gore-tex lined?

Usually, it is NOT recommended to apply animal fat (ex. mink oil) on Gore-tex-lined boots as it will affect the performance or Gore-tex and shorten the life of Gore-tex membrane. 

I used to apply Red Wing Waterproofing conditioner on my Danner because the instruction said that it is safe on Gore-tex boots. However, the product seems to be no longer available. 

Try Sno-seal: http://www.atsko.com/1330.html it also said safe on Gore-tex lined boots, though it contains bee wax. 

Probably one of the special/limited make-up pairs that was done for their pop-up and in-store events of lately...in limited numbers like 16 pairs.

Often, special hides are only ordered/available in limited quantities or are just plain expensive, so that only limited runs are done.

The type of lace as well as the number of lace holes doesn't bother me due to the built (single mid sole) and last - the boots are "dressier" than any of my other Viberg's.

^^ I've had a pair of Danner's for a few years now and have never done anything than a quick brush or wipe down. Granted they aren't the exact same leather as yours but I wouldn't worry about putting anything on them for awhile. Danner's are waterproof right out of the box. They do make their own care products and I've used some on a different pair of boots with good results. I'll end up using that if/when needed.

The other stuff I use and like a lot more than Obenauf's is called Renapur. It's available from the web.

Contact Woodlands.  I thought they developed that boot so that the leather would break in and discolor like natural leather belts, wallets, etc.  So I would guess no treatment?  To be fair, I have been using Obenauf's LP on my Danner Mountain Lights once or twice a year, depending on how much hiking I am doing, with great results,

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...