Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Couldn't resist these black triple vamp Russell Moccasin Bird shooters on their ebay store at $160 for a bad weather boot this winter.

This is now my third pair of Russells... oops

Awesome

Note to anyone thinking of getting the Cheaney 'Mallory' boot: they're soon to be discontinued and they're fucking awesome. Suede veldt boots are never seen, so just bite the fucking bullet, eh? :D

Pics to follow over the weekend.

Oh, and if anyone is thinking of the 'Irvine' brogue boot from Cheaney then you should know that it's like wearing fucking radiators on your feet. My shearling-lined Galways are only lined in the leg; the Irvine is fully lined, even on the footbed of the boot. Beautiful piece of kit.

Does anyone London based have experience of John Rushton Shoes repair jobs? I have a pair of Red Wings that need re-heeling.

My 9014 GTs are in dire need of a resole and reheel, and the guys at American Classics recommended First Class Shoe Repairs (online).  I emailed them and they responded straight away, saying this: "We stock all original red wing sole units and repair as new from the manufacturer.  We stitch the soles on as they would have been when you bought them"  I haven't dealt with them yet, but if what they say is true...

My 9014 GTs are in dire need of a resole and reheel, and the guys at American Classics recommended First Class Shoe Repairs (online).  I emailed them and they responded straight away, saying this: "We stock all original red wing sole units and repair as new from the manufacturer.  We stitch the soles on as they would have been when you bought them"  I haven't dealt with them yet, but if what they say is true...

Is this their website? http://www.shoe-repairs.co.uk/

Hi all

Just took delivery of my 13 yr old pair of Tricker's boots after a much deserved resole service and some cobbler's TLC...

Before the cure

null_zpsd82616e8.jpg

After the cure

null_zpsae86e22a.jpg

null_zpsb0d71ef7.jpg

Delighted with the results!

Thank you.

Any sizing tips on those btw? And any recommendation on which shop to purchase em online?

They're on C&J's 365 last which is TTS for most people, but they were a one-off model offered for one season only in that make-up as part of a special run of boots, if I remember rightly. They also did a model recently on the same pattern but in a different leather (some waxy side leather) which might still be available but won't wear in the same way as the rough-out.

I've just sold those boots (for twenty quid less than what I paid for them a couple or three years ago, result!) to fund a specially commissioned pair similar to those by Crockett & Jones. You'll pay through the nose for a special order with them but eight weeks down the line you'll have the boot that you want.

The only similar (English) model to those are the Cheaney 'Mallory' boot which is below and soon to be discontinued.

Absolutely cracking boots, I would have been gutted if I'd have seen these in the flesh after they became discontinued. They're a 270 degree stitch-down which is interesting in light of recent discussions on here, especially as I think they've quite an American look to them; I'll report back if they turn out to be any less effective at keeping water out than a 360 degree veldt.

Wasn't sure about the burnishing on the toe but it's less pronounced in real life than all the pictures I've seen. Shame it's on a Dainite sole though as I'm not a massive fan and I'll get a Ridgeway or Medway unit put on when the time comes. Made of waxy maracca suede, fully lined, with an ankle cuff that I'm liking:

y9og.jpg

djmz.jpg

m843.jpg

Back in August, while I was down in Wellington for our local Beer Festival, I saw some pairs of NZ handmade boots at Wakefield Hotel
which caught my eye. I had seen them before in pictures online, but to hold a pair in my hands was another story and knew I had to
eventually get myself a pair so although I didn't have the funds at the time I sized myself up to order a pair at a later date.

And almost 2 months later to the day, my custom pair arrived on my doorstep. For these, I chose the bailey crust leather with double
leather sole & a rubber toe piece. This is my first pair of real 'solid boots' and I'm over the moon with them. The stitching/construction
looks immaculate and the leather has a lot of character to it and I'm really looking forward to seeing it develop over time - move over sneakers!

qkz8.jpg

Cheers Hemi!

They look great Chris, I've been admiring those on the Wakefield blog and if I was still in Welly, would have ordered a pair myself. They remind me of the William Lennon Dundas boot and I know they use the same, rare brass screw sole construction method.

They look great Chris, I've been admiring those on the Wakefield blog and if I was still in Welly, would have ordered a pair myself. They remind me of the William Lennon Dundas boot and I know they use the same, rare brass screw sole construction method.

Cool - thanks for the info! I'm keen to look into the construction method some more now. I did see a blurb somewhere which said something about the construction being done in some traditional and rare method but I didn't know too many of the finer details - I guess that could make it harder to get them resoled then, if only a handful of people are still doing it? :)

Like you, I've had my eye on them after seeing his blog - and the online pictures do make them look appealing but they look way better in the flesh - all the little/subtle details you pick up. And the deal breaker was when I saw this lighter coloured leather on a pair that Hemi happened to be waxing at the time was there - the other leathers were great, but this particular colour really stood out to me.

Beautiful boots Chris, how much does a custom order cost? Only over in Melbourne so wouldn't be too far to travel for a look!

Cheers Aires, PM'd you - go for it dude! You'll find some more leather options and details here. I forgot to say that I'm over in Melbourne early December and hear you guys have some nice artisan shoe/boot studios/shops/etc. over there - so if you can recommend any places for me to check out, please reply to my PM. Cheers!

Yeh, those are stunners Chris and Hemi is a top bloke.

And again, cheers Mega! I thought what Hemi is doing with his boots is well worthy of living here alongside everyone else's amazing pairs that inspired me to get some in the first place. I've been a long time lurker on this (and the old) threads and had been planning to 'eventually' get a pair of nice boots for ages but for some reason had never got around to it.

Yeah, he's such a nice guy that every time I'd been down in Wellington (which is not enough) I made sure to swing past the store to check out what's new (as many of the brands he carries aren't available up in Auckland where I live) but I would end up being 'stuck there' (in a good way) chatting to him for ages, so much now that I block out some 'Wakefield Hotel-time' into my itinerary - and its one of my highlights!

Edited by theotherchrislewis

Chris, yours are made at a place in Whanganui(?) I think and they'll resole them for you, I'm sure Hemi will give you the details. Check out the William Lennon website or Paul T's excellent but sadly neglected of late, Loomstate.co.uk for more info on the method. Most of all, enjoy yer boots!

A quick querie, has anyone ever lowered the sole on a engineer, specifically a road champ? I'd like to remove two or three of the leather stacks as I prefer a lower heel but will it fuck the geometry of the boot up by lowering it? Got a new pair on the way.

A quick querie, has anyone ever lowered the sole on a engineer, specifically a road champ? I'd like to remove two or three of the leather stacks as I prefer a lower heel but will it fuck the geometry of the boot up by lowering it? Got a new pair on the way.

Why do you want to have the heels lowered, is it because you prefer the look of a lower heel or because you think that the boots will feel weird with the higher heel? I would say just wear them for a while and then decide once they actually need to be resoled. I love the heel on my RCs and would not change it. If you really want to have it done, email or call Raul at Willie's Shoe Service in LA, he's great with Road Champs.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...