Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

In UK sizing, I generally wear an 8, sometimes 8.5, as I have wide feet and usually a 9 in trainers.

In my Red Wing 875, I bought a 7.5D (I would have got an E if it was available). I consulted almostnice first and took his sizing advice (to go down half a size) as he is manager of the Red Wing store in Hamburg. They fit tight at first across the foot but now the whole toe box has stretched and they fit perfectly. Length wasn't a problem as the 7.5 is the same as my size 8 Alfred Sargent Dumfries.

My $0.02.

I love the Dumfries, they are beautiful, sturdy boots, very well made. They are also nice and wide for my foot shape (I have very high arches too - if my feet were flatter, I'd be a size bigger!).

I also have some Loake Burford boots which I bought in an 8.5 as they are a narrower (F) fitting than the Sargents. These have a slightly less rounded toe and a more refined, less rugged look than the Dumfries so are more suited to slightly dressier occasions; they are also more of an acorn colour and less orangey.

Updated on Hoggy's sound advice!

Edited by Maynard Friedman

@devilish: so I take this as it won't help me to ask "I'm a US 9,5 in Red Wing, Chucks, Clarks, nearly everything else...what size am I and Yuketen Maine Guide"? Or is it quite safe to assume a 9,5 would be right?

No shoe or boot should feel tight in the toes. If the toes are too tight the size, or more relevantly the last, is wrong.

Unless you mean across the instep / waist of the foot behind the metatarsal joints.

Tilmann, I am a UK 9 'E' pretty much exactly - for both feet, both weight bearing and seated (I have firm feet) as measured on a Brannock calibrated to UK sizing just two weeks ago. I've just ordered myself a US calibrated Brannock to compare, but until that arrives I can't obviously advise my US size.

However, I bought the Yukuten Maine Guide in US9E and US9.5E.

The smaller size, 9E, pinched my toes terribly although heel to ball was a reasonable fit. The larger size 9.5E was a little to loose in the heel.

When I tried the Red Wing 875 in a 9D (we only get 'D' width in the UK) I could barely get my foot into it, and finally when I did it was awful. Way too tight in width and really clipped my toes. Felt quite a lot tighter than the Yuketen Maine Guide 9E. So I'd most likely suggest you'd want the 9.5 in the Yuketen. The E width isn't hugely wider I wouldn't say, just enough for comfort.

However I would just suggest taking a pencil outline of your feet/foot and comparing against a birds eye view of the Yuketen boot just to check the toe box against your toe spread. They are 'quite' pointy.

Sorry for the long rambling e-mail.

Thanks. My little toe feels a little squashed but the rest of the boot feels okay. Maybe they are half a size too small...

Japanese Red Wing moc toes are on the same 23 last, but they often use E widths over there. This is perfect for my small paddle feet; I own the olive green Japanese exclusive in an E width.

bF, I will say that your Yuketen size is usually your Red Wing size or a half size down. When moccasins are sized via width, it's one width all the way except where they taper around the heel and toe. Mocs are generally not made on combination lasts; as a result, even a wide moc can feel tight in the toe (which was my experience and hogg's experience) if your feet start narrow at the heel and then widen consistently from there.

Well you might be alright then, also depending how new they are.

Just my personal opinion, but most important is that there is no clipping of the big toe, instead that there is a straight line on the medial side right to the tip of the toe - in other words, the big toe is not pushed in by the toe box tapering. A swung last, that is one where the forepart shows some inward rotation - or inflare - counters such clipping, a good example being the Alden Modified last. I don't know anything about Red Wing though.

What I like to do, is wearing thin socks really try and feel the insole using my toes (works better if you are wearing boots with a proper leather insole - Red Wing should be fine for this) pressing down with the toe tips to find the feather line of the insole where it meets the upper. If the tips of your toes are within the insole, then you should be good - the pinching you are feeling might just be the upper pressing down, rather than too narrow a toe box. Good leather should stretch a little to accomodate I would have thought. But again, all just my personal experience and opinion.

Yeah they are new 1907's. Very helpful, thanks.

Fuck you, autumn, I'm ready for you...

embn.jpg

33vj.jpg

And a possible new addition to the clan, now that the clearout is taking effect...the Coniston by C&J in navy grain, makes a change from my usual parade of brown boots. I've got a MTO pair from C&J on their way, and they'll be supplemented by either these or the Cheaney Mallory boots:

jcdp.jpg

DSC02682.JPG

These are the Oro-legacy 875. One size smaller than my usual size but my right foot still feels a bit loose. With thicker socks the fit is perfect so I'm considering wearing these only in winter. I think if I buy another RW moc toe I'll size down 1.5.

Did you mean .5 down? The guys at Red Wing told me to go half a size down from the chukka. The Oro-legacy leather is lovely. I prefer it to Oro-riginal.

Edited by jung

Alden Indys in natural Chromexcel that I got back in January.

I love the look of the Chromoexcel Indy, but the more I see other people's Indys, the more I see variances from my 405s. I guess that is people's personal orders, and sizes, and also the danger of hand made shoes?  Some Indys I see look really very round at the toe, and some have the stitching right towards the toe. 

I think some of it could have to do with the angle of the photo I took.

I was looking at a friend's 405s and noticed some differences as well.

I'm thinking I need to get some Saphir reno on these soon, they've yet to get any kind of treatment besides brushing.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...