Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Perhaps yours is due to a loosening of the bond between mid and half sole (stretching of the thread or shrinking and drying out of the leather) and them moving slightly against each other - I remember reading somewhere that the 8 stitch that some cobblers use on a half sole helps with stability and whites dont use that.....

Do you rotate the boots and always let them dry naturally and not store them near a heat source?

I think this is what is happening. With the boots off, flexing the sole by hand produces the squeak.

I can't recall a moment when the squeak suddenly appeared, so I can't really explain how it developed. Although I've put the boots through some grungy conditions, I've always taken care to dry them out slowly (with shoe trees, or tissue, rice, etc. if really wet), never with direct heat. The composition sole is visibly separating from the midsole around the edges, suggesting that the glue that was bonding the two together has delaminated.

I was on my feet moving heavy boxes all day yesterday and noticed no discomfort so I don't think it's an issue with the arch moving as previously reported.

I wonder if there's a cobbler in town that I can trust to stitch down the center of the sole, if that's at all possible.

Edited by PeterParker

talk about boots "fart" ... 'just posted about couple of weeks back that the annoying squeaks were gone.  

anyway, 'put them aside for a week & took the LW Wireman instead for a trip to the west coast.  came back & wore them for work a week later__ squeaks are back :o.  but,  after the 3rd consecutive day of use, squeaks went away  :) ,,,  damn boots are begging to be worn

noisy boots get more attention,  after all  ;)  

6frv.jpg

TOW [tug of war] model in reverse kip butt.  they're built tough really & not easy to break in. 'my entry for the HBC challenge,  as it turned out, became a personal challenge.

i have not posted anything with regards to my [entry] boots on HBC except the initial post cuz i was having 2nd thoughts about keeping them.  i almost gave up when they  developed an annoying squeak [on the outside side seam], on both.  'wondered if [this] was just a normal "stage" of the break in process, or maybe the choice in leather &/or model ... or prolly i just gotta accept i might have gotten a lemon, plain & simple  :(

thought it might be damaging to WL to post my experience w/o checking with them 1st, so i emailed WL a couple of times.  ... but, queries were ignored. 'almost gave up if it weren't for  simonc's & michaeljcr's advice to soldier on.  thanx guys!

fast forward:  after 6mos = 3mos effective wear,  the squeak is suddenly gone.  "farting", as simonc's son described it, was just part of the break in stages, indeed ... at least for [these] kind of boot build,  i suppose.

the "farting stage" is finally over, TG!  the leather has softened quite a bit & the triple soles are showing some flex.  with the "Superfeet" half-insoles i found,  the wearing experience had greatly improved.  i've been wearing them a lot more lately. 

3dgm.jpg
Edited by BrownMetallic

Always loved the look of the Lone Wolf Engineers. But since I already own 2 Engineers I don't think I'll ever buy one. But since I don't have black Engineers...We are the same size feet-wise, aren't we Rafa?

not really sure buddy :) i'm a US9 in RW's, a UK9 in Viberg!

if you're coming to St.Gallen i make sure to bring them ;)

Any opinons on Yuketen Guide boots? I'm looking for something in that price range to share everyday wear duties with my Whites Oxfords, which have now seen better days.

Yuketen's build quality is very impressive, right up there with White's, Russell, and so on. I wouldn't go with a suede offering, but just about any other leather will be really tough. They use the thickest cuts of chromexcel I've ever seen; unlined they are about as thick as lined leather from White's.

Try them on in person or find a place with a good return policy because the sizing of moccasins is very different from more structured shoes.

On a somewhat related note, I would advise against Oak Street Bootmakers. They use the absolute thinnest unlined chromexcel I've ever handled and the boots stretch like mad.

Are you commenting on OSB's moccasin-constructed shoes or also their Goodyear-welted trench boots? My understanding is that the latter are constructed in New York, and so I'm not sure if they're using the same leather as the made-in-Maine offerings.

I'll agree with Hogg up there; my feet are basically Hobbit paddles so Yuketen did not suit them, much to my dismay. Quoddy allows for the sizing that I need. If you're interested in a shoe/boot without a welt, I would recommend Quoddy very highly, though I recommend getting them lined unless you're doing a pair of light bluchers.

I was commenting on the moccasins as I have no experience with the trench boots. George says they use a much thicker cut of chromexcel for those boots, but I don't know what that translates to in real world terms.

Personally I find Oak Street to be a highly derivative brand and I'm not enthused by any of their designs.

Just my two cents on the Yuketen and Oak Street talk. I have two pairs of Yuks, the tall Maine Guide and the Oxfords. I like them a lot but as was said earlier, don't buy from somewhere that's going to fuss about a return. They can be tricky to size. I got the Oxfords at a trade show direct from the guys themselves at a very reduced price. Technically they are 2 sizes too small but have molded nicely to my foot and fit fine. I bought the boots off ebay, they are my 'correct' size and were too big around the heel until I slipped a half insole in them.

The craftsmanship and materials are top notch but be aware that they are hand cut so they do show slight differences in some areas unlike a machine cut shoe would.

As for the Oak Street's, they are not in the same league as the Yuketen. While the leather appears to not be that much thinner it is definitely not of the same quality, feels cheaper. The welt and the sole are thinner too. I got mine on sale and they aren't bad for the price but I wouldn't pay full retail for them. I would for another pair of Yuketen though.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...