Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

What are those 2nd from front BrownMetallic? Look Viberg-esque, gorgeous. Any chance for more shots, a fit pic?

Yes! Viberg  Service Boot, Loden Green, Brogue Toe Cap, 8 Eyelets, Commando Sole, No box Toe, 2005 Last

got them posted a few pages back, but prolly won't show cuz i exceeded my bandwidth  @Photobucket__  here are a few re-uploads:

got darker from deep conditioning 'cuz they were semi-parched when i got them ... they're much lighter now.

4g4j.jpg

sdc8.jpg

a6le.jpg

out of the box:

ifvn.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

Yes! Viberg  Service Boot, Loden Green, Brogue Toe Cap, 8 Eyelets, Commando Sole, No box Toe, 2005 Last

The loden green looks gorgeous! I didn't know Viberg got this leather, or I would choose it to be the rolled-up and gusset parts of my Viberg Engineer. 

Edited by thinker0217

The loden green is really nice.  I have a nearly identical pair to the ones BrownMetallic posted and the leather is some of the best I've seen (mine weren't dried out, which is an interesting difference).  I've had them for about 10 months of moderate wear, and they've changed to a more olive shade.

My first ever C&J, the Arran in rough out, after a hard day's paintballing.

I was actually going to wear the Snowdon, but rain was forecast and I didn't fancy getting bogged down with a clogged-up commando sole in the mud.

Soon remembered that it's not just the stitched-down build or waxy leather that makes veldt boots great for shitty conditions, but the bellows tongue too, which the storm-welted Arran lacks. This little insight sprung to mind when wading through ankle deep mud, which came into the boots a little by way of the sides of the tongue..not the end of the world by any stretch, but wouldn't have had this problem with the Snowdon, or Selkirk, or even the Galway...

upah.jpg

2x6j.jpg

8t6a.jpg

Anyone have experience with Dayton boots? Made in Vancouver, BC. Seem to have quite a loyal following.

Those of you with whites boots, how does the arch ease help with foot comfort? Do you notice a diff compared to other boots?

And one more query: whites smokejumper or wesco job master?

ctb, talking of rough out veldtschoen, i'm speaking with Richard at the shoe healer about ordering either the Cheaney Fiennes or the Mallory (with a commando sole rather than the dainite) and just wondered if you know anything about them? I'v not seen them mentioned much if at all here. If I go for the Mallory I'd like to treat the leather with something to properly waterproof it, is there anything you recommend?

Cheers

ctb, talking of rough out veldtschoen, i'm speaking with Richard at the shoe healer about ordering either the Cheaney Fiennes or the Mallory (with a commando sole rather than the dainite) and just wondered if you know anything about them? I'v not seen them mentioned much if at all here. If I go for the Mallory I'd like to treat the leather with something to properly waterproof it, is there anything you recommend?

Cheers

I like them both, and toyed with the idea of getting a pair of the Mallory for a while - was going to ask Richard if he could ask the factory to leave the suede alone on a pair instead of burnishing it.

You could use Sno-seal or similar on the suede, although I think that if I had a pair I'd just wear them and see how I got on with them. For regular leather, Chelsea Leather Food impressed me so much with the ease with which it's absorbed, I've switched to that now instead of Obenauf's.

ctb, that was part of the reason for treating the suede with a wax, I think it will blend the burnished toes in with the rest of the boot a little. If I pull the trigger I'll put up some pics.

We were wandering around Oxford yesterday and came across a pair of Cheney Pennines in a most unlikely place (Toast, for those in the UK) They looked and felt great, the tow profile in particular looked alot better than Internet photos would have you believe. Very solid boots indeed.

Lone Wolf Boots 2008 Collection.

9759252716_235a60f85d_c.jpg

9759340463_b2d435ccbb_c.jpg

9759071072_03e4deb39a_c.jpg

9759074332_3799c9554a_c.jpg

These catalogs remind me one question rooted in my mind for a while: Those Cat's Paw soles and heels used by LW boots are replicas, right?

I believe the TOYO Enterprise owns the trademark of Cat's Paw. If they are replicas, are those paws still attractive to you guys?

Anyone ever purchase the heels via http://labellesupply.com/Prodview.asp?ServiceID=2&ProductID=23&CategoryID=176&Itemid=910 ?

There are some brands claiming that they use NOS Cat's Paw heels, but how can we tell they are truly NOS?  

Edited by thinker0217

The easiest way is to look at the design that has the Lucian Bernhard logo, the cat with only the head and one paw.

The other way is to see if the heel is made in the USA (it says so on the back). Since they are not made in the USA anymore, then it is NOS. Anything that is newer uses the whole cat logo which is made in Canada where Biltrite (the holding company) manufactures their rubber.

Toyo, Real McCoy's, Toys McCoy all use repros. 

catspaw.jpg

Left: 1970's Middle: 1990's Right: 1980's

Edited by coleslawyum

These catalogs remind me one question rooted in my mind for a while: Those Cat's Paw soles and heels used by LW boots are replicas, right?

I believe the TOYO Enterprise owns the trademark of Cat's Paw. If they are replicas, are those paws still attractive to you guys?

Anyone ever purchase the heels via http://labellesupply.com/Prodview.asp?ServiceID=2&ProductID=23&CategoryID=176&Itemid=910 ?

There are some brands claiming that they use NOS Cat's Paw heels, but how can we tell they are truly NOS?  

Having experience with NOS and reproduction Cat's Paw, I'd say I definitely prefer any new boots I bought had repros and not NOS.  Cat's Paws look cool, but my slight preference for the Lucian Bernhard logo doesn't overwhelm the fact that on the brittle NOS heels, I'd destroy that feature in a couple days, and need new soles months earlier than with the repros.  

Would it be possible to stock Lone Wolf boots at Self Edge? I've been wanting a pair of their engineers. There needs to be a shoe store in the states that carries Japanese boots like SE carries Japanese denim. Maybe customs would be a problem.

Totally agree. 

Take my money Kiya!

Would it be possible to stock Lone Wolf boots at Self Edge? I've been wanting a pair of their engineers. There needs to be a shoe store in the states that carries Japanese boots like SE carries Japanese denim. Maybe customs would be a problem.

While they're at it, I'd love to see MOTO (http://www.motostyle.jp/leather-silver/item/mensboots/mens-top.html) boots at SE. That'd be incredible.

While they're at it, I'd love to see MOTO (http://www.motostyle.jp/leather-silver/item/mensboots/mens-top.html) boots at SE. That'd be incredible.

Moto boots arent made for Western feet.   Theyre built on lasts for Japanese feet.   Theyre awesome boots and the store in Tokyo is great but i think alot of people in the US would be bummed on their sizing

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...