Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Viberg Engineer

2005 Last, soft toe
Double leather sole
1″ longer straps
Roller buckles (supplied by customer)
Dyed Brown edges

They are the same boots as the ones shown in Viberg's blog: http://vibergboot.wordpress.com/2012/12/26/11-engineer/

I've been wearing them for 15 months, but I only wear them like twice a week.

I got nothing to complain about these boots; by far my favorite boots among my collection. 

The leather soles are much more durable than I expected; one only drawback of the leather soles is that they are slippery. I will send them to be resoled next week. I will post the photos after they are resoled. 

BTW, the arrow-shaped top straps and instep straps are done by myself; you can see the difference by comparing the pictures in Viberg's blog. 

998472_10201956824581246_790426370_n.jpg1233493_10201956824381241_1742359414_n.j

I wouldn't resole those just yet if you are simply having new leather soles slapped on. If it is an issue of having a half rubber or full rubber for traction purposes, it may make sense, but the current soles are nowhere near finished. You can save yourself some good money and probably hold out a few more years.

Edited by rayw44

Wesco Jobmaster

8"

Black Tie x Black Fire leather

Brown leather lined

Double leather midsole

Brass hardware

Vibram #705

Over 3 years of usage...I custom ordered these boots based on the Japanese limited edition - "Jobmaster King," which equipped with horsehide on the shaft and waterproof Nautilus leather on the vamp and counter parts. Since the horsehide and Nautilus leather are no longer available as order options, I use the black tie leather to replace the horsehide and black fire leather to replace the waterproof Nautilus leather. The result was quite satisfying.

I would like to mention that the Black Fire leather is truly thick and tough; it seems not to wrinkle or age like other leather does. After 3 years of usage, the black fire leather on my Jobmaster still looks like new. I don't know whether it is an advantage or a drawback...

The other thing is that they are damn heavy and stiff. I feel like I am still breaking in them every time I wear them. 

1185957_10201970932333931_1321853964_n.j1186827_10201970932293930_1749422595_n.j

1238917_10201970932133926_1130508796_n.j

Russell Moccasin Mountain Safari "PH"

Brown Weather Tuff x Green Nubuck

Full leather lined

Vibram Kletterlift

Extra order options: Leather heel counter, steel shank, and Poron inserts  

It took me about 3 month to get these boots in 2010. It is said that it takes even longer for current production time. I custom ordered these boots to be my ideal hiking boots. They are triple vamp construction, which means they fully waterproof based on Russell Moccasin's statement. Vibram Kletterlift outsoles are classic in style and very functional in performance in terms of durability and traction. I chose to add leather heel counter and steel shanks for better stability in uneven and rugged areas.

These boots are truly my go-to boots for outdoor activities. They have been accompanying me in many rugged mountain areas, such as Alaska, Alps in Switzerland, Colorado, and Taiwan. 

I always treat them with Sno-Seal to ensure that they are more waterproof. I even treat Sno-Seal on the green nubuck parts to make them dubbed. That's why the green nubuck look so dark. 

1234315_10201970591365407_467678934_n.jp

9242_10201970591325406_890105719_n.jpg

1176324_10201970590605388_433363351_n.jp

Russell Moccasin Mountain Safari "PH"

Brown Weather Tuff x Green Nubuck

Full leather lined

Vibram Kletterlift

Extra order options: Leather heel counter, steel shank, and Poron inserts  

It took me about 3 month to get these boots in 2010. It is said that it takes even longer for current production time. I custom ordered these boots to be my ideal hiking boots. They are triple vamp construction, which means they fully waterproof based on Russell Moccasin's statement. Vibram Kletterlift outsoles are classic in style and very functional in performance in terms of durability and traction. I chose to add leather heel counter and steel shanks for better stability in uneven and rugged areas.

These boots are truly my go-to boots for outdoor activities. They have been accompanying me in many rugged mountain areas, such as Alaska, Alps in Switzerland, Colorado, and Taiwan. 

I always treat them with Sno-Seal to ensure that they are more waterproof. I even treat Sno-Seal on the green nubuck parts to make them dubbed. That's why the green nubuck look so dark. 

Awesome Russells. Nice to see another fan around here.

Those jobmasters are a pair of tanks that can go on your feet! Jeez louise, 3 years? The upper looks appropriate, but that black fire still looks like it came from the box yesterday. Confirming my next shoe purchase--firestormers (whenever that'll be).

Plus rep for the dog alone. Jeans and boots aren't too bad either.

Thanks!  She's a good dog.  That camera I used is really really awful in terms of picking up any color in my denim, but my cell phone, which actually has a better camera, doesn't have a self-timer.  My jeans (710s with a little over 6 months of wear) are in HWDC2 and I put up some much better pictures in that thread a few weeks back if you're curious to see them.  Looking at that picture again, they're getting awfully baggy and I think it's about time for a wash!

Purchased the Allan in red lollipop cavalier leather wuth commando sole . The cavalier leather is extremely smooth yet very heavy / thick.

Great boots, great leather.  I have a pair of Quoddys in red cavalier and absolutely love that leather.  It's extraordinarily resilient and easy to maintain.  I'll be curious to see how yours look down the road.

My Wesco Boss is standard black oiled leather. The black fire leather is really tough and stiff and, based on my experience (see #2895 in this topic), takes long time to break in. I'll post some more pictures soon.

Thanks for appreciating my boots :)  

I almost wish I'd gotten the standard black leather instead of black fire. I'm considering dunking my boots in water and then wearing them until dry, supposedly that helps break them in.

I almost wish I'd gotten the standard black leather instead of black fire. I'm considering dunking my boots in water and then wearing them until dry, supposedly that helps break them in.

That doesn't sound like a good idea to me as it should be very uncomfortable and I remember that the black fire leather is not only fire proof, but also waterproof. So, I guess the result should be limited. However, this is just my assumption.  

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...