Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

35jw09h.jpg

2heab0m.jpg

2czdlhd.jpg

Just got my first pair of Trickers and I really love them. I was wondering, in order to pursue what the title of this thread indicate, shall I use Mustang paste on them to protect the leather?

I also saw that this store in Tokyo recomends to put a metal toe steel in order to protect the tip of the leather sole, which apparently tends to wear off quickly. I would like to know what you guys think about it as after reading the 90+ pages of this thread I have a great respect about your opinion on the subject.

RIMG0074_20120512235727.jpg

RIMG0080_20120512235727.jpg

Cheers!

Not really. You can wear them out and then polish them later. Mustang Paste is really more for Horsehide. I find that a light leather moisturizer and a few coats of polish works the best to give your upper a nice patina.

Since you are in Japan, I would recommend getting steel tips, since they wear out very fast. And getting them done at Union Works is an especially good idea, since their work is top notch, though they are located in Tokyo. I think there is one guy in Osaka, if you want to go to a more local spot, but I can't recall the name.

Thanks, coleslawyum! I'll take your advice into account and search if I can find that Osaka fella.

Edit: I've found a place where they put the toe steel.

Edited by Kobe Beef

it seems most cobblers don't have the tools and/or knowledge to resole a regular pair of White's because of the double stitching through the outersoles. I've noticed the 'close trim' option only has one stitch going through the welt and outer sole. Does this mean the close trim is in fact a regular goodyear stitch and thus easily resoled by cobblers?

What are the chukka/desert boots, far right top picture?

As it happens, I'm in the market for a pair for a summer holiday and while this is most probably the wrong forum if anyone got suggestion then that's cool. Single leather or rubber sole, broad round toe box is what I need and preferably blake stitched.

Ron Rider makes some nice chukka's, with what I believe to be blake-stitch construction.  Worth having a look.

x-post:

Your heels are getting trashed quickly. This happens to my boots too, a combination of speedhooks and putting my crossed feet up I think... but you don't have speedhooks so bang goes my theory.

Edited by fre-co

It was holding the tongue what done it!! Been wearing the boots all day, they're leather lined (were supposed to be cotton drill) and get pretty hot, leather was a bit damp and foot pretty wedged in, pulled tongue down a bit to widen the opening ... and riiiiip!!! 

Gutted!  :(

Hoggy, i agree with fre-co the quality is appalling get in tough with the retailer or manufacturer, If you have had them less than 6 months they will be covered for defects and replaced or repaired. If you can't pull a pair of boots on without the tongue ripping (under the sale of goods act) they are simply not fit for purpose.

Your heels are getting trashed quickly. This happens to my boots too, a combination of speedhooks and putting my crossed feet up I think... but you don't have speedhooks so bang goes my theory.

i wouldn't say that they get trashed quickly...irl there is almost zero to no wear visible on the heels!

ok, a tiny bit (as seen on the pics) but they also have a few miles on them already, so I'd say they wear "ok"...gonna keep an eye on it though ;)

^slight heel wear - but the dainite tab hasnt even worn through yet - nothing to even worry about whatsoever.

everyone has a different gait - those of us who walk "incorrectly" really find benefit in being able to replace the heels without any trouble

:D

I've noticed the same on my Alden shell boots. The speed hooks scratch the hell out of the uppers when I cross my legs/feet. For the longest time, it never occurred to me where the scratches came from. It's yet another reason I prefer all eyelets rather than speed hooks.

The nice part about shell is how easily minor scuffs and scratches can be remedied. I've grown fond of the deer bone for that kind of work.

Edited by patrick_b

Any big benefit of switching to obenauf's over the RW Leather Conditioner I've been using? I got it free when I bought a pair of GT's a while back.

So far it's what I've used on my White's, and have been pleased with the result.

From personal experience, Obenaufs is a far superior protector of work boots than the RW conditioner, especially when it comes to abrasive dusts (cement) and serious water/mud exposure. However, I would also state, that I have personally found the Obenaufs liquid to do a better job of sheer waterproofing than the HD, although, with the application schedule required for my work boots, I may just prefer the liquid because its faster.

i wouldn't say that they get trashed quickly...irl there is almost zero to no wear visible on the heels!

ok, a tiny bit (as seen on the pics) but they also have a few miles on them already, so I'd say they wear "ok"...gonna keep an eye on it though ;)

No I meant all the knocks and dings and scrapes on the back of the heel counter - that what happens to my boots too.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...