Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

was able to grab another pair of vibergs during their last round of sample sale today!

can´t wait to give them hell cuz i think that these should age beautiful with wear as well...

- Service Boot, Vintage Tan Smooth, Brogue Toe Cap, Dainite Sole, 2040 Last, Box Toe

845721.jpg

845725.jpg

845723.jpg

845724.jpg

Edited by ThinFinn

Yes and no. I keep meaning to take them to terry dear to get a hole punched on the strap and possibly a patch in the heel to tighten things up a bit.

It wasn't too bad in winter with thick wool socks but it is too much now.

I wear 9.5e in semi-dress, these are 9.5ee but are way roomier and xxl leather which is softer and stretchier. If I were buying again I'd size down a half or a width to d.

Yes and no. I keep meaning to take them to terry dear to get a hole punched on the strap and possibly a patch in the heel to tighten things up a bit.

It wasn't too bad in winter with thick wool socks but it is too much now.

I wear 9.5e in semi-dress, these are 9.5ee but are way roomier and xxl leather which is softer and stretchier. If I were buying again I'd size down a half or a width to d.

out of curiosity, why did you go EE?  Did you get fitted that way?  Having a pair of bounty hunters and oxfords in the same size, both being fitted by Bakers, I cant help but think that the tracing method is more for insurance against improper fit (read: too short) vs a method for getting the correct size you should wear.  

Edited by garden gnomes in space

badass nomads right there fre-co! you make me want to grab a pair asap...happy to know though, that i can´t make them work! ^^

those Vibergs look great TF; definitely the best looking pair out of the last round

I was less lucky; 6 rounds and zero pair

i somehow f_cked up on the first 4 rounds (missed 1 and 3, wasn´t lucky in 2 and nott really interested in the boots in 4!)...after the first rounds i pretty much figured out how things work so i had dibs on 6-7 pairs in the last two rounds, copped 2 of´em in the end! pretty happy, especially with that last pair...

So for viberg sizing is UK right? If I wear a US9.5 in whites, I want an 8.5 in viberg? There are a few nice ones left on the SF sale.

yap, viberg is always using uk-sizing (stamped size in boot = uk size!). i´m a US9 in red wing and yuketen and a UK9 in all of my vibergs (no matter what last!)...oh and a US9.5 in converse chucks...don´t own any white´s...yet! ;)

out of curiosity, why did you go EE? Did you get fitted that way? Having a pair of bounty hunters and oxfords in the same size, both being fitted by Bakers, I cant help but think that the tracing method is more for insurance against improper fit (read: too short) vs a method for getting the correct size you should wear.

It was a choice between d or ee at the time. I am not really a d in anything so I went ee. I don't know if you have more options now.

Finally got a chance to take some pics of my vibergs, they now have oil stains thanks to work. it'll all even out eventually.

9038530162_0da1d1bc86_z.jpg
IMG_0665b by jgomez541, on Flickr

9038546084_f9cea752bb_z.jpg
IMG_0662 by jgomez541, on Flickr

9036331505_7b79876ffe_z.jpg
IMG_0659 by jgomez541, on Flickr

9038563424_d35b64b605_z.jpg
IMG_0658 by jgomez541, on Flickr

they are the 1950 service boot icy mocha cxl with the cats paw heel and the vibram 269 sole

and my freshly cleaned white's bounty hunters brown cxl

9036348635_f09f8478fe_z.jpg

IMG_0657 by jgomez541, on Flickr

9038580136_d0cf069dfc_z.jpg

IMG_0656 by jgomez541, on Flickr

9038596624_66c4664656_z.jpg

IMG_0653 by jgomez541, on Flickr

9038604338_4487c86222_z.jpg

IMG_0652 by jgomez541, on Flickr

9036393971_a18297cbd2_z.jpg

IMG_0650 by jgomez541, on Flickr

9036436963_74252c6a30_z.jpg

IMG_0645 by jgomez541, on Flickr

for those that say cxl is not for work, i disagree. They have held up fine and have been plenty durable.

Edited by themexican

Wesco's look like tanks and that's meant as a compliment

themexican; Viberg's are looking amazing; White's brown cxl has really darkened a lot (or is it the lighting?)

Took my first venture into decent boots last week and got myself some LL Bean Kathadin Iron Works Boots. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, depending how you look at it) I had to wear them in ankle deep mud and rain from Thursday-Sunday for 20 hours a day, so they look quite a bit older than one week right now (they did break in fantastically though!). I gave them a quick clean and a once-over with some cheap leather oil because it's all I had at the time and they were really dried out, but I'd like to do something to them to give it it more casual look, as opposed to a work boot look. Is it too late to do that, and if not, what should I try?

Thanks.

ResizedImage_1371251045764_zpsf2ac1da5.j

ResizedImage_1371251007659_zps553ce036.j

ResizedImage_1371251025354_zpsa88915f3.j

PS- they are super comofortable, I'm definately converted from sneakers. I'm already looking at another pair of boots but I'm trying to show some restraint.

Edited by jmfr

@JMFR get yourself a tub of obenauf's heavy duty, I always apply this after i have cleaned my boots, let it dry overnight or use a blowdryer on low or medium to help it absorb into the leather, once dry you can apply any shoe polis you like and they will shine right up for that classy look.

@slab thanks! the Vibergs look so good in real life and the smell of the leahter really needs to be a cologne. the white's look darker due partly to the lighting but more due to raw denim/industrial oils from work

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...