Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Shell cordovan is made from a membrane under the butt of a horse. It's not very large, so you only get about one pair of shoes per horse; it is thusly quite pricey. As a leather it doesn't stretch, is highly abrasion-resistant, and needs little care other than brushing. Wax is occasionally applied locally to a large scratch or gash, but otherwise only about once a year if the boots are well-used. Some people like to use a deer bone to reapply natural animal fats as well.

Shell doesn't crease like ordinary leather; you don't get the microcreases of calf, just a clean bend at each point of stress. Sometimes wax/fat can build up in these creases, but it brushes away easily.

Contact with water can result in some spotting (water + oil, you do the math), but again this brushes away quite easily.

Hope that helps!

As Planetarium sait it is highly abrasion resistant. The microcreases that form on calf eventually always will tear. Cordovan doesn't have these microcreses and therefore is much less likely to tear. As far as i know you are unlikely to find a stronger leather to make a pair of shoes from.

The way cordovan reacts to water is very much dependent on the skin itself, some shells 'spot' and others dont. All (Horween) shell is highly water resistant and therefore also not very breathable. 

This is a horse's butt. You can see how the structure changes where the 'normal' hide turns to cordovan. 

gIOcvNw.jpg

Nj7qD9O.jpg

hAWoYMT.jpg

Here's a nice video on Cordovan.

those viberg service boots in shell that riff has (and I believe you posted on IHUK, Finn) are probably my dream boot.  The fact that someone in another thread made a comment about how Viberg would want $1K, maybe closer to $2K for HH (not shell) guts me.  

Edited by garden gnomes in space

thanks a lot for the info, pics and the video gentlemen...really helped a lot.

now also i do understand the prices shell cordovan boots go for, so thanks for that! 1 pair of shell cordovan boots per horse just has to be expensive...also i like the facts, that the leather itself doesn´t need too much care, just wear and tear!

sounds good to me! :)

those viberg service boots in shell that riff has (and I believe you posted on IHUK, Finn) are probably my dream boot.  The fact that someone in another thread made a comment about how Viberg would want $1K, maybe closer to $2K for HH (not shell) guts me.

now i´m even happier, that i was able to grab a pair of viberg HH 1940 service boots for a great price a few weeks ago!

too bad i wasn´t able to cop those badass shell cordovan boots!

here they are btw.:

836119.jpg

836120.jpg

836121.jpg

836122.jpg

836123.jpg

Edited by ThinFinn

Just for the sake of comparison, here are two shoes in horween leather. One in cordovan and the other in... eeh... something Horween.  

The point is the very noticeable difference in the way the 'normal' leather develops the sharp microcreases that eventually lead to tearing whereas the cordovan creases in 'big waves'. 

tCsWPzF.jpg

Recently acquired a pair of Yuketen Maine guide boots from Barney's Warehouse at well...substantial discount. Needed some new dog walking boots, and I have a rather fond spot for my dress mocs, but they weren't too hot for walking long distances in, as I can slip them on and off without touching the lacing, so blisters are possible. Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but they are my style, and definitely meet the highest standards of comfort.

Olive rough out, with a vibram EVA type sole. I'm not totally convinced on the sole durability, but I'll just get a kletterlift thrown on when these wear out anyway. The only thing I'm not sure about is what I'll do to them when winter comes around, either dub them, or oil them, which will have different effects on the texture.

IMG169.jpg

IMG172.jpg

Quick fit pic. They don't stand out as much as you might think.

IMG179.jpg

They do have some nifty shoe bags.

IMG176.jpg

I have some of the oxfords on black CXL, they have barely left my feet for the last year, most comfortable footwear I have ever owned.

id say my oxfords fit about the same as my bounty hunters.  they are not boots, so the heel area fits differently, so dont be surprised if they dont "hug" the ankle/heel.  with time, they loosen up, but when new it can a bit of a bummer having all that heel slip.  I think Mega's are CXL, so Im not surprised that they are super comfy. My cxl bounty hunters were pretty much broken in out of the box. My oxfords are rough out, so while extremely comfortable once broken in, they proved to be quite stubborn in terms of loosening up and flexing.  The leather is just much stiffer than the cxl.  

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...