Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I had a run in with a barbed wire fence in my 1000 mile boots. Will post picks later...but basically there is a 7" gash along the arch. Any suggestions? The gash did not go all the way through otherwise I would be posting from the hospital.

They may be dead to me now!

I had a run in with a barbed wire fence in my 1000 mile boots. Will post picks later...but basically there is a 7" gash along the arch. Any suggestions? The gash did not go all the way through otherwise I would be posting from the hospital.

They may be dead to me now!

i get gashes in my boots all the time (i work in a metal shop). barge makes an all purpose cement that I use on my leather projects all the time, apply it carefully with a needle inside the gash let it set for a minute then apply pressure to close it up. it may still be a little visible, once dry you can lightly sand with a very fine sand paper 600 grit or above and then clean and polish. should be almost invisible. thats a pretty big gash, you may just have to press on it with both hands for a little while until it looks like the cement set.

Here is the cut. Start to finish about 5 1/2". So exaggerated a bit. Will try the barges and see what happens.

Hope the link works. Using iPhone.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc441/Noodle361/70F5AB8D-09F8-4132-B2CE-26F902359CE2-2348-000003BC1C0C3A45_zps47b84cf9.jpg

The barge cement should work, just take your time, get a little on the needle and apply it to the inside of the cut, give it a minute to get a little tacky almost dry then close it up. if any gets on the boot where you don't want it, don't worry once it's dry it will peel right off. make sure you peel it before you sand otherwise it can get a little messy. lastly lightly sand but don't be afraid of the sand paper. my work boots have none of the original finish left on them but still shine right up. just use a good creme polish that matches your boot color.

8528310644_cd6b9eb50c_z.jpg

photo by jgomez541, on Flickr

here is a close up of my bounty hunters, the upper still has the original finish the vamp is basically all polish, there is no finish left on them at all. as you can see I gave up fixing them a long time ago so the cuts and scrapes remain and just add character and patina.

and here is a crappy pic of them after they have been cleaned and before polish

8779026767_8e448d0186_z.jpg

photo by jgomez541, on Flickr

Edited by themexican

great photo, like the leather background as well. I bet these will look amazing with some wear..

Yeah these will definitely improve over time.  I feel pretty weird wearing them right now because they're so clean, and the finishing is so immaculate that they stand out quite a bit.  

CTB's post has me excited for suede weather as well. Here are my suede Alden chukkas. The tan pair is Alden's 1494 unlined suede chukka on the Leydon last w/waterlock, flexwelt sole. They are about 5 yrs old and wear like slippers. I love the flexwelt sole, it's heavily oiled making it great with water and exceptionally grippy compared to a standard leather sole. Because they are unlined, they are extremely lightweight, making them great for air travel. They pack virtually flat and are easy to don/doff through TSA.

The darker, snuff pair are Alden's lined suede chukka on the Barrie last w/crepe sole. I wanted a chukka on the crepe sole and they fit the bill perfectly. I didn't know they were lined when I ordered them and almost returned them but the crepe sole grew on me quickly. While they are heavier than the unlined pair, they are still relatively light and very comfortable. They are fairly new and only have only been worn a half dozen times or so.

DSC_2737.jpg

DSC_2742.jpg

DSC_2747.jpg

Snuff on left are a 10.5D on barrie last, tan are 11D on Alden's exceptionally narrow Leydon last. Fortunately, the unlined suede gives a lot so the narrow shoe fits fine. I've heard that many go with an E width with these shoes due to the narrow last.

DSC_2730.jpg

Allen Edmonds - Mctavish - I have always wanted a spectator brogue. These were a neutral brown color to begin with. Picked them up at a Nordstrom sale. Got tired of the color and decided to use some fiebings. Have worn them to death since.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc441/Noodle361/487F1BA1-4CD1-4857-A707-454143050150-3501-000005B0CB86A417_zps7f38366e.jpg

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc441/Noodle361/DFF306F3-FA3F-444A-B7A3-D712AFAA0AB2-3501-000005B07B28B2D7_zps96ed5409.jpg

I was too late for the heavyweight boots championship, but I was finally able to order a custom pair of White's after many years of lusting. Here's my build specs. Those 8-10 weeks are going to feel like an eternity. 

Toe Vamp Leather: Black Rough Out
Toe Cap Leather: None
Celastic Toe Box: Single
Steel Toe: No
Heel Counter Leather: Black Rough Out
Height: 8"
Upper (Shaft) Leather : Black Bull Hide
Leather Liner: Black
Sole Trim: Standard Trim
Top: Cut
Back Stay Leather: Black Bull Hide
Pull Loop: Yes
Eyelet Color: Brass
Eyelet Configuration : Hook and Eyelet
Top Garment: Hook
Lace Design: Plain Toe
Lace: Leather
False Tongue: Black Bull Hide
Sole: Vib 430
Half Slip: Yes
Heel Shape: Block
Heel Height: Minus 1/4"
Last: #38 Swing Last
Midsole: Double
Midsole/Edge Color: Brown

I just bye a pair Of rw brogue ranger and i like them but i have aquestion to the leather expert in this thread.

I didn't find an information about the chaparral leather used by Red wing.

What sort of leather is this ? Aniline, semi-aniline ?

Is there a surface coating on this leather ?

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...