Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Are you normally an 8.5 UK size or did you size down? I got the Viberg Service boots from Superdenim in an 11 UK and they fit well although same as you I found the toes area fine lengthways but needed to stretch the width using a shoe stretcher.

thanks mate. decided to sell them though and now i have a sweet pair of 1950 service boots 310 last incoming in a 9 (UK)...

normally i´m a 9 (US) in Red Wing and Yuketen and the 8.5 (UK) in the service boots were just to narrow up front, fine in length but the toe box was too flat and somehow i wouldn´t want to give them to a local coppler since...well, the boots cost a fortune stil being a student...

Actually I looked at some really nice Viberg service boots in horsehide from Manufactum - German website sells them for 799 euros UK website of same shop sells them for 1000 euros.........and you can't order from the German website if you live in the UK!! I thought the EU was about free movement of goods!

Yes I found them narrow in the toe - are you getting the upturned toe ones then?

yes, the one with the upturned toe...310 last!

Actually I looked at some really nice Viberg service boots in horsehide from Manufactum - German website sells them for 799 euros UK website of same shop sells them for 1000 euros.........and you can't order from the German website if you live in the UK!! I thought the EU was about free movement of goods!

if you want to, i could proxy them for you!?

hi, guys.

Here my old timberland boots, when timberland make good things.

they are at last 20 years old.

yes there are not wolverines or red wing but i like them :D

tim1.JPG

tim2.JPG

tim3.JPG

tim4.JPG

Edited by zippopotamme

thanks mate. decided to sell them though and now i have a sweet pair of 1950 service boots 310 last incoming in a 9 (UK)...

normally i´m a 9 (US) in Red Wing and Yuketen and the 8.5 (UK) in the service boots were just to narrow up front, fine in length but the toe box was too flat and somehow i wouldn´t want to give them to a local coppler since...well, the boots cost a fortune stil being a student...

buddy so you guys are saying that if i wear a size 9d on whites semi dress and almost everything elsei get a 9d on the viberg 310 upturned last eh?

^ I'm not saying anything Ed ;)

I'm a stamped 9 in the scout boots (last 160) pictured above and a US9 in red wing and yuketen (don't have a pair of white's yet, so I can't speak for them)!

since a stamped 8.5 in the 4horsemen service boots (last 2030) was too small/narrow in the toe box and the 9 in the scouts fits perfectly, I went ahead and bought a 9 in the 310 last as well...

I'll know more if they'll fit or not in a few weeks, as soon as I've received them!

that's all I'm saying ;)

Edited by ThinFinn

seriously considering of buying a pair of Viberg's myself (service boots, 2030 last). According to Brett, these fit TTS which means your US size minus one full size to get to Viberg sizing? Anyone can confirm? Also, I noticed, although there is a double welt stitching on top, there's only one stitch through the sole. The Shoehealer can only resole boots with a single stitch on the bottom. Has anyone has his Viberg's resoled yet by a European cobbler?

Edited by SLAB

^ Can't help with the stitching/re-soling question Slab, but the sizing is as you described: one full size down from US.

tbh. i've discovered that it's exactly the other way around...I wear US9 in red wing (round and moc toe) and a UK8.5 in the viberg service boot (4HorsemenxViberg 1940 service boot on 2030 last) was too small for me...in length and in width! also the 2030 last toe box was way too narrow/flat for my toes!

after some hours of serious wear I really was happy to take'em off tbh.!

a UK9 in the same boot might woukd have been perfect for me!

so I'd say (without any disrespect to riff or any other "boot guy") to go with the same "number" as you wear in your regular boots...for me that is US9 in red wing and yuketen and UK9 in viberg (2030 and 160 last at least!).

thanks riff and thinfinn! well, I am a true 8.5US and can fit 7.5US in Red Wing so I guess it works out either way; size 7.5 in Viberg should be what I need

^ Yea, the one size down, would be from your dress shoe size, not your workboot size. The Vibergs on the 2030 last are a lower volume boot than the Red Wing, i.e. for a given size of Red Wing, I can fit an insole in, but cannot do the same for the same size Viberg. For my foot, the Vibergs work perfectly.

seriously considering of buying a pair of Viberg's myself (service boots, 2030 last). According to Brett, these fit TTS which means your US size minus one full size to get to Viberg sizing? Anyone can confirm? Also, I noticed, although there is a double welt stitching on top, there's only one stitch through the sole. The Shoehealer can only resole boots with a single stitch on the bottom. Has anyone has his Viberg's resoled yet by a European cobbler?

Any cobbler can stitch it as long as they have a heavy duty machine like a Sutton Rapid-E or similar to stitch through 2-3 layers of rubber and leather. Viberg uses stitch-down construction which stitches the upper to the mid-sole. The outside stitch attaches the mid-sole to the out-sole. Thats why you only see one row of stitching underneath.

wolverine 1000 miles ordered...

waiting now they arrive in france.

a question.

for that type of shoes, with leather sole, did you add an extra sole to protect leather or not ?

I did not, i dont think they would look good with an additional rubber sole for two reasons.

1) They sit on and awkward line between work boots and dress boots so making changes to the look of the sole makes them look even worse.

2) i love them for their comfort and the ease with which you can walk city streets in them, i did not want to stiffen up the soles.

I did switch to a double leather sole after i resoled and after some break in it worked very well.

This is a weird one chaps, but some advice if anyone shares a similar difficulty.

With my new Alden Indys, they are really comfy but I noticed a slight disparity in the fit for each foot.

Upon measuring my feet, I found that my left foot is 2cm longer than my right foot (i.e. almost an inch!).

So whilst my right foot is a good fit, comfortably loose, my left foot is a bit tight.

Not uncomfortably so, but I can feel my toes bunching up a bit and the bottom of my toes hurt slightly.

Any obvious solutions I'm missing? Will the left boot stretch to accommodate over a few weeks?

They're natural CXL if that helps; I hear they can stretch more than the cordovan?

I did not, i dont think they would look good with an additional rubber sole for two reasons.

1) They sit on and awkward line between work boots and dress boots so making changes to the look of the sole makes them look even worse.

2) i love them for their comfort and the ease with which you can walk city streets in them, i did not want to stiffen up the soles.

I did switch to a double leather sole after i resoled and after some break in it worked very well.

ok thank for your answer .

thanks

This is a weird one chaps, but some advice if anyone shares a similar difficulty.

With my new Alden Indys, they are really comfy but I noticed a slight disparity in the fit for each foot.

Upon measuring my feet, I found that my left foot is 2cm longer than my right foot (i.e. almost an inch!).

So whilst my right foot is a good fit, comfortably loose, my left foot is a bit tight.

Not uncomfortably so, but I can feel my toes bunching up a bit and the bottom of my toes hurt slightly.

Any obvious solutions I'm missing? Will the left boot stretch to accommodate over a few weeks?

They're natural CXL if that helps; I hear they can stretch more than the cordovan?

got same problem with symmetry.

with girth, usually it's simple DIY, but for tweaking the length let the local cobbler dial it in for you. half-size is very doable.

matter of fact, i just dropped off my WL TOW this morning for some heavy duty stretching :(

Edited by BrownMetallic

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...