Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I recently came across a post at styleforum showing a gorgeous, full grain, full length leather apron for shoe care. Not being one for frivolous purchases...I knew I had to have one. I wasn't sure I could ever care for my shoes again knowing that such an item exists.

http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/products/la-cordonnerie-anglaise-leather-shoeshine-apron

A followup post linked to a much less expensive alternative and I figured for $10, I'd give it a shot. Anything's better than the old towel I place on my lap while shining my shoes.

Harbor Freight Split Leather Welding Apron

http://www.harborfre...pron-45193.html

I actually quite like it...especially for ten bucks. Unlike the fine leather version, this one is much shorter and hits right at the knee. As its name indicates, it's made of split leather and has a roughout texture. A few pictures for reference:

Texture:

DSC_2889.jpg

Action shots:

DSC_2865b.jpg

DSC_2870b.jpg

DSC_2886.jpg

DSC_2882.jpg

The shoe shining apron is almost as essential as the water-droplet dispenser that we all saw on the japanese shoe shine video. I had to buy one of those too :) .

DSC_9400b.jpg

Video where I saw the water droplet dispenser. It's actually used for solvent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrzNkhJsJm8

Edited by patrick_b

Now that's dedication, Patrick! The only 'proper' shoe care stuff I have is my polishes and a brush or two - the rest of the time, I'm using torn tee shirts, tupperware containers and my fingers!

If you've time, I'd be interested in hearing how you went about getting those shell boots in such a sweet condition - I've a pair of shell Graftons (Church's) and I'd like to see what I can do to them...

Meanwhile, winter seems to be back for one last hurrah so the shearling Galways came out once more:

005bvl.jpg

Now that's dedication, Patrick! The only 'proper' shoe care stuff I have is my polishes and a brush or two - the rest of the time, I'm using torn tee shirts, tupperware containers and my fingers!

If you've time, I'd be interested in hearing how you went about getting those shell boots in such a sweet condition - I've a pair of shell Graftons (Church's) and I'd like to see what I can do to them...

Meanwhile, winter seems to be back for one last hurrah so the shearling Galways came out once more:

005bvl.jpg

Those Galways look great in the snow. I know how you feel about winter, we got another 6+ inches early this week.

As for the Alden shell boots, do you mean the mirror shine or the toned down matte appearance? If the former, I achieved the mirror the same way as I would with calf. Small amount of wax, applied repeatedly to the toe. The only thing I may do differently than other mirror methods is that I'll apply coat after coat without brushing/buffing.

A drop of water on my cloth (cut up cotton tee) and a dab into the wax tin. Then I'll apply in concentric circles. As the cloth dries, it begins to slightly polish, the toe developing from a haze to a slight shine. I'll then repeat with a drop of water, more wax and apply to the toe. I'll do this 4-5 times before ever touching a brush or buffing cloth to the leather.

I think where I differ from others is that they'll apply the wax to a haze then wait for it to dry, then brush/buff. I continue the small circles with my wax cloth until its dry and its starts the buffing process as the cloth dries.

After the multiple coats of wax, I'll brush. Shell likes more brushing than calf. Then I'll buff with a soft cloth. I like the microfiber cloths used for auto detailing. I've heard folks worry about using the synthetic cloths for fear of damaging the leather. I always respond that by the time the cloth is used, there is a layer of wax atop the leather. The microfiber cloth buffs/polishes the wax, not the leather itself. Note, I'm certain you understand this concept but include it for others reading. It was with these cloths that I achieved my early mirror shines so I've stuck with them.

Lastly, I use a combination of Saphir wax and Kiwi wax. If there are 5-6 total layers on the toe, it's probably a 2 to 1 ratio of Saphir to Kiwi. IMO, Kiwi produces that mirror shine much easier/quicker.

With all that said, I found the shine was just too much as I wanted to wear these boots casually as well. So I applied Renovateur a couple of times and brushed out the mirror toe. I wore them for the next 6 months with just occasional brushing. I like the look now. Still works with a sport coat and wool trousers and just as good with denim or cotton chinos.

Edited by patrick_b

Equally shameless: I'm selling a beautiful pair of White's Semi-Dress for a similarly beautiful price.

http://supertalk.sup...rickson-chinos/

F9120427-4964-41FA-93C3-870CDB0D06E7-8389-00000726EBB03BC1.jpg

If I had the cash spare I would take these in a heartbeat, beautiful.

Those Galways look great in the snow. I know how you feel about winter, we got another 6+ inches early this week.

As for the Alden shell boots, do you mean the mirror shine or the toned down matte appearance? If the former, I achieved the mirror the same way as I would with calf. Small amount of wax, applied repeatedly to the toe. The only thing I may do differently than other mirror methods is that I'll apply coat after coat without brushing/buffing.

Patrick, really grateful for your taking the time to write all that down - looks like I'm going nowhere this evening so will probably have a go on them tonight! One last question: is there any actual benefits to using cordovan cream over normal polish? I've got a pot of Saphir's burgundy cordovan cream polish and was thinking of using that alongside Kiwi's dark tan shade of wax...

Never actually known snow to stick like this so late in the year (in these parts, at least) so I'm chuffed to be one of the few people on this planet who have enough of a rotation of veldts to cover a whole week (!).

The Tricker's boots came out to play today:

001iplx.jpg

005jih.jpg

The pics of the Tricker's and the Galways don't do the leather justice as both pairs have very deep burgundy highlights. EG's walnut country calf is actually very similar in feel to the zug used on the Tricker's, although I suspect the Tricker's would win in a scrap between the two pairs...

Patrick, really grateful for your taking the time to write all that down - looks like I'm going nowhere this evening so will probably have a go on them tonight! One last question: is there any actual benefits to using cordovan cream over normal polish? I've got a pot of Saphir's burgundy cordovan cream polish and was thinking of using that alongside Kiwi's dark tan shade of wax...

No worries, my pleasure. Funny you ask about Saphir cordovan cream. I have the same stuff and applied a coat but realized quickly like any cream, its no help at all in developing any real shine. Sure it will add pigment and cover up nicks and scratches but it didn't do much to help with my mirror shine at all (admittedly, that's not its purpose).

That's why I started using my standard brown kiwi and the brown Saphir high gloss Glacage in dark brown. It didn't need a lot of wax to get a nice mirror.

Going forward, my shell boots will get Renovateur every few months, probably quarterly or more if they need it and the Saphir cordovan cream a couple times a year.

I'm not a fan of speed hooks for mostly aesthetic reasons but find that when I cross my legs at the ankle, the speed hooks scratch the hell out of the other boot. I'm going to pick up a deer bone and see how it works on those little scratches.

For those who haven't seen a deer bone in use, this video by "A Suitable Wardrobe" shows how its used.

Was just going to post a picture of some Black horsehide Vibergs, but can't figure out how to! I know, I am a computer loser -- what can I say. I click on the 'Image' icon, but it calls for a URL, when my pic is just a jpeg file on my computer. And alas, the help menu doesn't make it clear to me.

Any advice? Should be easy, and I am sure I am overlooking something obvious... but there it is.

finally manage to get this up after countless state hoping....

went to roberto ugolini in florence and spoke to him and stayed on for a while to watch the whole process of shoe making

some pics to share

333363_10150895715012624_1347300808_o.jpg177726_10150895713377624_1438047888_o.jpg177504_10150895714572624_588962552_o.jpg413704_10150895713757624_370912531_o.jpg243763_10150895714162624_970068844_o.jpg

and these are my red wings after 50 days of travelling

photo%25201.JPGphoto%25202.JPG

after some light brush without any conditioner or oil

photo%25203.JPGphoto%25204.JPG

will post more pics of other bespoke shoes maker and my own pair of boots.

Those 3140's look emaculate

I just bought some Wolverine 744 Ltd from an ebay seller Imperial. They are far from emaculate - although I asked if they were first quality and was told yes one toecap appears to be a completely different colour to the other one. To be fair he's offered a refund but I have to spend $50 sending them back which seems unfair. More worrying is the customer service response from Wolverine, who despite claiming to have made only 1000 of these boots and being provided with the number of my pair are unable (actually unwilling) to confirm authenticity or answer any quality questions. I suspect they made many more than 1000 but some failed quality control so they just sold them off in bulk. I'm less impressed with Wolvering than I am with the dodgy ebay seller. My own fault I guess for thinking I was getting a bargain.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...