Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Here's a bit of age: White's Bounty Hunters, plain brown leather, cap toe. Owned these for four years. Originally made with mini vibram soles. First three years worn as walking around boots, then resoled with Honey Vibrams and taken down 1/4" in the heel for a trail crew job. This is them after 962 hours of service. I wore them every day from April through November, in all weather, through stream crossings and swamps and rock work and up to 12 miles of hiking a day, an average of six. They have scratches and fraying, but not one, not ONE stitch has failed.

8306063876_e76a704768_c.jpg

Old collection pic.

I still have all but the Brown dress and Brown CXL (first and second, upper row)

dsc_0103.jpg

These are my current daily SDs:

dsc_0193.jpg

Yesterday I got a another pair which is Brown dress, single leather sole, cuban heel, double stitching. antique hardware. Super super standard lets say.

Got another pair coming in soon.

#8 CXL, 641 last, minilug half soles, 1/4" lowered block heel, antique hardware.

Whoa nice stuff. SD is the best look for me. especially with toe caps...i will sleep & wear those.

looks like a very decent resoling job; who did the resole?

patrick_b, those cigar boots are no Pitt boots; they are on the modified last from Anatomica I believe

Bodyslam, did Red Wing do that or did you have a cobbler do it?

A cobbler did it.

looks like a very decent resoling job; who did the resole? patrick_b, those cigar boots are no Pitt boots; they are on the modified last from Anatomica I believe

It was done by a kind Taiwanese cobbler by the name of Mr Feng.

can anyone comment on the quality of calf leather used by Tricker's?

I have two pair's of Alden boots that seem very prone to cuts (Alden Indy and kiddskin cap toe boots); Not sure what I seem to be doing wrong but both pair's have sustained some (although small) nasty cuts. I wonder if this is a problem with the calf leather used by Alden or a general weak point of this leather. For example my Alden Roy (CXL leather) and Red Wings 875 just get scuffed so the leather seems a lot more robust. I'm eyeing a pair of espresso calf burford Trickers boots but worry they might end up same as my Alden calf boots

can anyone comment on the quality of calf leather used by Tricker's?

I have two pair's of Alden boots that seem very prone to cuts (Alden Indy and kiddskin cap toe boots); Not sure what I seem to be doing wrong but both pair's have sustained some (although small) nasty cuts. I wonder if this is a problem with the calf leather used by Alden or a general weak point of this leather. For example my Alden Roy (CXL leather) and Red Wings 875 just get scuffed so the leather seems a lot more robust. I'm eyeing a pair of espresso calf burford Trickers boots but worry they might end up same as my Alden calf boots

Slab,

i hear you, on your comments about Aldens Calf being just more prow to getting scuffed up. Yes, i felt a very same way, and to be honest for my shoe type selection on Aldens, i don't really want that sensitivity in my boot personally, so i went ahead and sold off most of my Calf pairs, and have avoided purchasing any more. I must say that Aldens have been some of the most comfortable pairs of shoes i have owned, and currently I still have two pairs of Cordovan and one Chromexel, they are fine.

But onto the other side of the pond, Im perfectly happy with my two pairs of MTO Trickers (from the Shoehealer) that i have worn now, and i can say that the English calf leather seems to scruff up but polish down much nicer then an Alden calf, in my opinion. some will disagree. and allot has to be said about your lifestyle, how you wear and treat your goods.

Now i'm not saying that Trickers are going to be bulletproof in any way.... and we have all seen two-week-old trashed boots (regardless of brand) on this forum, from those Users who like that kind of hyper-trashed-look is ascetically pleasing.

I don't and so i do prefer my English made shoes over Aldens for many reasons, although my only problem with them in the beginning of appreciation of them was getting into understanding how different English Lasts are from American lasts.

Im sure we can agree that users on these boards (SuFu and Styleforum) have gone about with their mojo and shared info of Alden sizing in combination lasts, and over the years i think have provided a wealth of shared real life knowledge helping many with finding a good way into a Barrie or Trubalance and other more obscure last.

But stepping into English shoes and boots from an Alden specific experience and reference will def strike your foot differently, so just be prepared to know that, even when you are sized correctly, they will def have a different fit to them. It will either work for your foot, or you will be put off unfortunately.

i would highly suggest you head over to the Trickers thread on SF for a great resource.

I had a good conversation with an Englishmen living here in NY a few weeks ago who grew up wearing only UK produced; Trickers, Doc Martens, Royals, C&J, ect... and once he became into his early 30's he switched over to wearing US shoe companies; Red Wing, Aldens, Whites, ect..

We both shared our mutual interest, allure and somewhat simalar experience of crossing over into each others national shoe brands. An Englishmen obsessed with American shoes, and myself being a NY'er really into English shoes....

to try to sum up our conversation, what we came down to, was that Shoemarkers, have lasts built for a overall average foot type based off of cultural demographics and social fittings in their marketing, and add when in time those last were created.

sometimes it works, and other times it just never will.

Genetics give us different structures to the types of traits we posses,

our feet are different for many reason, but heredity is a main part of it.

so my opinion is to hopefully be able to try on a pair, to get a good fit first, and then explore what last might serve your foot best from English or any other shoe brand before burning throughout time and money..

jeezes indigoeagle, u know i have a soft spot for the creations of Julian; I especially like that first pair; gorgeous!

those Walk On boots are also nice but i'm not so crazy about the glossy finish and squarish toe shape.

davichan, it's always a pleasure to read about your insights and experiences. You are right, english and us made boots do differ markedly, not only aesthetically but also fit wise. So far I have had not much luck yet with sizing correctly. Luckily there are some shops in Belgium where I can actually try out some pairs but honestly I have not gained much insight yet regarding the different Tricker's lasts so I'll have to read up on the Styleforum thread.

jeezes indigoeagle, u know i have a soft spot for the creations of Julian; I especially like that first pair; gorgeous!

those Walk On boots are also nice but i'm not so crazy about the glossy finish and squarish toe shape.

Agreed first pair are stand alone beautiful. Brown boots biltrite sole coming in a close second.

Coleslawyum will back me up on this, The glass finish leather of the Railmans is rich and deep in colour and character. You can see the natural grain underneath the shine,

The Walk on boots look flat and monotone in colour almost like a patent. Could be just the flash glare causing this.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...