Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Point taken Illumin8um, its just people can be assholes, and there's no need for that. If he was on some Indigo Queen shit, then by all means, but he seems sincere.

Sure, but it was Ed. If you have been around long enough or care to look follow his replies since the sufu gates were reopened to him, then you know what to expect. Gotta love the guy.

The #38 Swing Last is one that I was eyeing.

I was eyeing a block heel but ultimately went with my gut decision to go with as little customization as possible, simply adding leather pull tabs ($10) and a full composite sole on the standard SD boot directly from White's in their dark brown.

The only other thing I would consider tweaking -- if it's even possible -- would be to darken the stitching at the sole (rather than white) and to make the midsole and heel one single dark color rather than the natural leather/wood/rubber (whatever the materials are composed of) look.

See, swing last, block heel, you almost went and made a clown boot. I kid, kinda, not really, but to each his own. Although I think I have seen more folks regret getting the swing last than those who do not.

Leather pull tabs on a boot that has four lace holes and two speed hooks, the softest tongue you could want, and opens wide enough to fit your knee into it?

The sole stitching will darken with use, or application of Ob's, unless they are only worn to church. In that case you should buy an inexpensive bottle of Fiebing's sole & heel dressing and apply it to your liking.

The contrast in color of the stacked leather heel is appealing to most, just adding to the old world, hand made look of the boot. If it is a bother, you should buy an inexpensive bottle of Fiebing's sole & heel dressing and apply it to your liking.

I think that was "Semi" helpful

Nice shoes, nice floor. Interestingly enough, I just swapped Oakstreet bootmakers with a guy because we both fucked our sizing up (easy to do as OSB's sizing info is all over the place, and they are basically no help at all). Anyways, I have a pair of natural CXL trail oxfords now.

You could always have a pair of Edward Greens or Gaziano & Girlings made to order in the colour of your choice and on the last of your choice. $$$$$ though. Carmina in navy shell cordovan would probably cost about the same.

Shame crockett doesn't have anything in navy.

-edit-

Carmina dark green shell cordovan pic, but you get the idea.

fa8f60de_carminagreenshellmaidenvoyage.jpeg

Edited by Crat

ADH92, I just got these Tricker's longwings in this morning & wore them all day. I'm really happy with them, and Pediwear's service is great.

I'm quite taken with the 'Gleneagles' model that Tricker's made for Pediwear...to the point where I almost made a midnight purchase a few hours ago.

Worth noting that the Gleneagles and the Birkdale are both on the 4444 last, and it's normally recommended to size down half a size in this last, relative to one's normal size in the 4497S last.

You could always have a pair of Edward Greens or Gaziano & Girlings made to order in the colour of your choice and on the last of your choice. $$$$$ though.

And a significant wait, at least for EGs - think you'd be looking at around April 2013 for MTO from them. No idea about G&G.

Something like the Grenson, definitely. I don't mean to be a snob, but the Grenson's I've handled have always felt less than substantial. Tricker's are probably the way to go, sadly. $$$

Oddly enough, I just picked up a pair of blue suede Lewis boots by Grenson - definitely flimsy, but they're unlined so unsurprisingly so.

Worth the £65 I paid for them, but at full retail (£230) I think I'd rather pay the extra for summat a little more rugged.

Even if Tricker's look to have increased their prices.

Again.

£285 on eBay for their seconds?! Really?

Sure, but it was Ed. If you have been around long enough or care to look follow his replies since the sufu gates were reopened to him, then you know what to expect. Gotta love the guy.

See, swing last, block heel, you almost went and made a clown boot. I kid, kinda, not really, but to each his own. Although I think I have seen more folks regret getting the swing last than those who do not.

Leather pull tabs on a boot that has four lace holes and two speed hooks, the softest tongue you could want, and opens wide enough to fit your knee into it?

The sole stitching will darken with use, or application of Ob's, unless they are only worn to church. In that case you should buy an inexpensive bottle of Fiebing's sole & heel dressing and apply it to your liking.

The contrast in color of the stacked leather heel is appealing to most, just adding to the old world, hand made look of the boot. If it is a bother, you should buy an inexpensive bottle of Fiebing's sole & heel dressing and apply it to your liking.

I think that was "Semi" helpful

ssup boys real talker here

There's something about Cheaney...the more I handle old veldts, the more impressed I am with Cheaney's models over the past few decades. They seem to have been consistently sturdy from the off, and these 'Tenby' shoes will be getting some serious wear this Autumn, after getting waxed last night:

dsc04862u.jpg

Gave the WW2 Lotus boots a feed, too. Interesting how the zug is ageing differently...pretty certain that the ones on the right were worn a lot less than the others, which also seemed to have been polished with black before I cleaned them down:

dsc04863nz.jpg

I was initially confused by the sizing on the right-hand pair, as they were marked '110' when they were a size 11 (the same sizing system as Church's):

dsc04869c.jpg

dsc02110vm.jpg

Since then, I've handled a few more WW2 pairs of Lotus and they seem to have used this system as standard back then, at least for the boots. The left-hand pair above are size 10, visible here as '100' just below the Lotus stamp on the tongue:

dsc04865z.jpg

Fit pic of the 10s being worn, just to put them into context:

dsc04859h.jpg

Edited by CrashTestBrummie

There's something about Cheaney...the more I handle old veldts, the more impressed I am with Cheaney's models over the past few decades. They seem to have been consistently sturdy from the off, and these 'Tenby' shoes will be getting some serious wear this Autumn, after getting waxed last night:

dsc04862u.jpg

Gave the WW2 Lotus boots a feed, too. Interesting how the zug is ageing differently...pretty certain that the ones on the right were worn a lot less than the others, which also seemed to have been polished with black before I cleaned them down:

dsc04863nz.jpg

I was initially confused by the sizing on the right-hand pair, as they were marked '110' when they were a size 11 (the same sizing system as Church's):

dsc04869c.jpg

dsc02110vm.jpg

Since then, I've handled a few more WW2 pairs of Lotus and they seem to have used this system as standard back then, at least for the boots. The left-hand pair above are size 10, visible here as '100' just below the Lotus stamp on the tongue:

dsc04865z.jpg

Fit pic of the 10s being worn, just to put them into context:

dsc04859h.jpg

The Barbour International "Suit" is fantastic! We corresponded a while back when I came across the other International Suit you were selling. You were right...the one pictured above is a thing of beauty. Sorry for the OT comments...back to the veldts. the brown footwear pair up well with with black jacket. looks sharp.

The Barbour International "Suit" is fantastic! We corresponded a while back when I came across the other International Suit you were selling. You were right...the one pictured above is a thing of beauty. Sorry for the OT comments...back to the veldts. the brown footwear pair up well with with black jacket. looks sharp.

It's the bollocks, isn't it? I'm going to remove the branded patch from the top pocket as it seems to be a more recent addition - none of the hardware on the jacket is branded so I think the patch is an anachronism. Wax jacket plus veldts is a pretty decent combination for the wetter seasons of the year, although this year it's been difficult to tell which one is actually happening at any one time...

Just need to find some water-resisting denims to complete the armour (was looking at the IH-809)...

hell that is a nice jacket i cannot deny. great veldts, always enjoy you throwing in a bit of english dynamism into this thread!

Cheers!

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...