Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

One--of three--pair of my godfather's boots. These are Lucchese lizard skins, which he said "wore like iron"

DSC_0271.jpg

DSC_0272.jpg

DSC_0273.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

DSC_0275.jpg

Edited by wgmds

Gents,

I'm brand-spankin-new to the world of wearing boots. My sneaker days are fading behind me. I really don't know much about boots, and thus must ask the experts the following:

I just picked up a pair of Timberland Boot Company Easter Standards (got them on clearance from Nordstrom Rack -- still on the fence, possibly might return them and go for 1000 mile, redwing, or something else) for a decent price. I'm not too sold on the quality of them, but then again, I don't know much about these things...

My question / concern is -- the heels of the boots, when placed on the floor, do not sit flush with the floor. There's not obvious sign of wear; in fact, I'm positive it's not heel drag. Is a heel that's a little short some sort of style or functionality thing of some sort? Or are they slightly defective and thus the reason they were in Nordstrom Rack. Basically, when standing in them, I can rock back onto the heel. It's weird. I'll put up pictures later. Any thoughts on this?

not a flaw. its just the way it is. When the last is removed from the boot (are Timberlands even lasted?) the boot basically constricts a bit. Its normal. I would recommend Red Wing. I would really recommend saving your money and getting some White's built. Every time I handle the Wolverine 1000 mile, I am reminded why I will never buy this boot in my life. Just my opinion though, many are happy with it. I think the quality of construction to price ratio is fucked however.

This is exactly why I posted. I literally am a complete noob at boots.

I feel like even at discount, they are over-priced. I'd much rather throw another 100 or 150 down for something significantly better.

Lasted means...? I'm gonna return them. They were pretty beat, cosmetically, anyhow.

Thanks for the push off the edge.

the last is the wooden or plastic/composite foot shape the boots are built around. Different lasts are shaped differently, thus resulting in a different fit. Whites are not cheap, but they are sturdy, extremely well made and will last through the apocalypse. The arch can take some getting used to but once the boot breaks in, they are the most comfortable boot you will wear. Red Wings are nice,I have a pair myself, but Whites are like 3 steps above in terms of construction and materials. They are closer to $400 however, but some red wings are pushing close to $300.

If you are in New York, there are a few places that stock White's. Go try them on, get the sizing down and order from Baker Boots or Whites directly, as most places that stock White's mark them up by $200

Edited by garden gnomes in space

Lexol cleaner, then Lexol conditioner and Meltonian shoe cream on my 2 years old Bourton :)

2n66iyp.jpg

kai876.jpg

will polish the 5/6 years stow soon, just have it cleaned with Lexol cleaner for now, waiting for it to be completely dry and will apply conditioner to it...the stow looks dry and crack in some area, anyway to prevent it getting worse? :mellow:

1ekt91.jpg

get yourself some Obenauf's or other heavy duty wax. Apply liberally. Let it soak in and apply a second coat. That should help, but I dont know if it will cure the issue. Maybe dont wait so long between treatments next time?? Not trying to put you down, as its hard to tell sometimes and easy to overlook this kind of thing.

I need halp.

I want to buy whites nao, but bakers boots website has waaaay too many options. Like, more options than the whites websight. Which is pretty simplistic (which I love as a FNG). Are these aftermarket tweaks? Any worth considering? Or silliness??

I basically want to order the most standard brown SD boots. I'm boring. I. need. help. though.

So many options....

fuck man are you on dope? or ar eyou spammin?

oddly enough, I was pretty ripped up at that point. So the answer would be:

1. Yes

2. No

What I was trying to say (seems pretty clear to me, even sober) was that there are an overwhelming amount of tweaks and options on the Baker's site. Double Soles, Triple, Heel Options, Soles, all this crazy shit that I really am not too dialed in on. I was simply asking what the stock options are, and how the other tweaks vary, and if any of them are worth considering.

Yeah.

jesus christ, give him a break.

bestie- i went through the Whites options just like every other person here did who ordered them. It can be overwhelming, but its pretty basic once you start to wrap your head around what each option is. PM me with specific questions if you want, I dont care if its stupid, redundant or pathetic. You gotta start somewhere. apparently these guys forgot that.

go to www.buildaboot.com and just screw around with options. its not the most realistic in terms of how the boot looks, but it gives you a place to start.

Edited by garden gnomes in space

jesus christ, give him a break.

You gotta start somewhere. apparently these guys forgot that.

go to www.buildaboot.com and just screw around with options. its not the most realistic in terms of how the boot looks, but it gives you a place to start.

Bestie already had the answer to part of his question, " Like, more options than the whites websight. Which is pretty simplistic (which I love as a FNG)." He has already been there, and seen the standard SD that he is looking for. The rest is just preference and if he is unfamiliar with boots or White's or the options available, then it is on him to figure out what he likes. If he starts off taking advice about options from the new batch of folks around here is is gonna pop his cherry with a block heel or triple leather sole and completely miss the point of getting a pair of White's. There is no getting that virginity back once it's gone. Many of us who can or were willing to contribute to such questions didn't have a "builadboot.com". Come to think of it, maybe that is why we are scarce anymore... need to make room for the new ways.

Was that a can of worms?

If you have any questions, please email me or call...

[email protected] please put 'attn kyle' in the subject link

toll free 1800-879-0514

I'm there 830AM-6PM

We need a 'pop-up' store in LA it sounds like.... :-)

Thanks,

Kyle

Baker's Shoes

www.bakershoe.com

www.buildaboot.com

I need halp.

I want to buy whites nao, but bakers boots website has waaaay too many options. Like, more options than the whites websight. Which is pretty simplistic (which I love as a FNG). Are these aftermarket tweaks? Any worth considering? Or silliness??

I basically want to order the most standard brown SD boots. I'm boring. I. need. help. though.

So many options....

Bestie already had the answer to part of his question, " Like, more options than the whites websight. Which is pretty simplistic (which I love as a FNG)." He has already been there, and seen the standard SD that he is looking for. The rest is just preference and if he is unfamiliar with boots or White's or the options available, then it is on him to figure out what he likes. If he starts off taking advice about options from the new batch of folks around here is is gonna pop his cherry with a block heel or triple leather sole and completely miss the point of getting a pair of White's. There is no getting that virginity back once it's gone. Many of us who can or were willing to contribute to such questions didn't have a "builadboot.com". Come to think of it, maybe that is why we are scarce anymore... need to make room for the new ways.

Was that a can of worms?

This is very true. I was a little anxious and overwhelmed by the options presented by Baker's. I definitely want to ease into things and keep things simple because I don't know what I'm doing. But some of the tweaks could be useful. Some of them are cosmetic. Whatever. The #38 Swing Last is one that I was eyeing.

In the end, it doesn't matter; I was eyeing a block heel but ultimately went with my gut decision to go with as little customization as possible, simply adding leather pull tabs ($10) and a full composite sole on the standard SD boot directly from White's in their dark brown.

The only other thing I would consider tweaking -- if it's even possible -- would be to darken the stitching at the sole (rather than white) and to make the midsole and heel one single dark color rather than the natural leather/wood/rubber (whatever the materials are composed of) look.

I do appreciate the help boys. I apologize if I basically asked "how do I size APCs?" --boots version. Now that I'm part of the gang I'll continue reading and learning, and I'll stop asking stupid questions.

And now we wait. Eight weeks was the estimate from White's...

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...