Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Just my personal opinion, but for the price of the Wolverine 1K, you could do much better...

I couldn't agree more.

DSC_9880j.jpg

I bought these at a good discount (30% off) at a store that was closing. I'd been considering the RW GT/Beckman and found these to be more comfortable out of the box than the Red Wings. Couple the comfort and the sale price and I went with the 1K's.

In retrospect, I wish I'd done it a little differently. The out of the box comfort is a bit misleading and I don't think these would hold up as well long term compared to a variety of other boots/brands. Unfortunately, I found this thread *after* buying the 1K's. I've since settled on the SD as my next boot but these have broken in rather nicely and have held up well. Perhaps I'll bite the bullet this fall and just order the SD's.

FWIW, the 1K's are a decent boot in the $200 range but at full MSRP, as you said there are better choices. They were a good entry into the workboot marketplace however, and I'm now a lot more educated.

I've "built" [online] a pair of SD's countless times in the last couple of yrs. perhaps I'll finally hit the order button this year.

Edited by patrick_b

Jut got this gran dady.....after finally manage to complete the fund(sold 4pair of my RW & 21oz vx sammies)

I hope this is worth it.

Everyone ....here it is RED WING SKYTROOPERS

P8030519.jpg

P8030516.jpg

P8030517.jpg

P8030518.jpg

still in wearable condition in size 9-10 usa. worn out half sole ,bit slippery .Thinking of resole it with vibram.

Post it on e-bay for some luck. :ph34r:

beautiful pair Inquire; how did you size in Viberg?

I sized the same as my road champs (size 8), I also wear size 7-7.5D in Alden, trickers, red wings

if you do a custom order, they can send you a form where you trace your feet to get you the proper sizing.

Any reason as to why they're "done" with cordovan?

cordovan is exclusive to retailers only.

I couldn't agree more.

DSC_9880j.jpg

I bought these at a good discount (30% off) at a store that was closing. I'd been considering the RW GT/Beckman and found these to be more comfortable out of the box than the Red Wings. Couple the comfort and the sale price and I went with the 1K's.

In retrospect, I wish I'd done it a little differently. The out of the box comfort is a bit misleading and I don't think these would hold up as well long term compared to a variety of other boots/brands. Unfortunately, I found this thread *after* buying the 1K's. I've since settled on the SD as my next boot but these have broken in rather nicely and have held up well. Perhaps I'll bite the bullet this fall and just order the SD's.

FWIW, the 1K's are a decent boot in the $200 range but at full MSRP, as you said there are better choices. They were a good entry into the workboot marketplace however, and I'm now a lot more educated.

I've "built" [online] a pair of SD's countless times in the last couple of yrs. perhaps I'll finally hit the order button this year.

SD ? Would you say the RW 9016 are better than the 1Ks ?

SD ? Would you say the RW 9016 are better than the 1Ks ?

SD is white's semi dress. I chose the 1Ks just for the chromexcel which is way more comfortable imo. I was fortunate to find mine 35% off at some store in the mall so pulled the trigger. You can probably find them for around 240 if you look hard enough on the bay

Edited by bb_tt

I can't imagine why you couldn't do such a job. They are a goodyear welted boot so when you need the sole replaced, just ask your cobbler to install the vibram sole & heel of your choice. I've seen some folks go the other way and have a standard sole/heel replaced with the white/wedge vibram sole on a welted boot.

I'm with you, I like the look of the 213 but once you've broken in a pair of boots, it would be a shame to replace them and start over with a fresh pair just to get a different sole.

Yep, these boots have a lot of life left in them, it's only been a year but they feel amazing. Now, to find a good cobbler. I also wrote to Red Wing, and they said they could do it if I just mark the sole I want on the order form. Thanks, patrick_b!

7732943106_17f7298ed7.jpg

7732954794_2ccc48c730.jpg

7732945370_f19026a352.jpg

RW all the way~~~ Just picked these up today and can't be happier for now. Just gotta wait till the HOT and Humid weather dies down here so I can actually wear some good denim and boots~~

DSC_3783.jpg

DSC_3781.jpg

DSC_3795.jpg

DSC_3787.jpg

DSC_3791.jpg

DSC_3788.jpg

DSC_3796.jpg

DSC_3794.jpg

i need some help from you leather experts!

i am in need of a leather boot, something like http://oakstreetbootmakers.com/footwear/navy-hunt-boot but maybe like $100-150 cheaper?

i want a well made boot but not necessarilly horween chromexecel

any thoughts??

red wing 875 sounds like it could be the ticket...try to find some on sale

i need some help from you leather experts!

i am in need of a leather boot, something like http://oakstreetboot.../navy-hunt-boot but maybe like $100-150 cheaper?

i want a well made boot but not necessarilly horween chromexecel

any thoughts??

Has anyone here got a pair of the trickers Corniche mull Moccasins?

How have they aged? Did I see Beatle with some before?

These might be my next boot.

Thanks

I'm distinctly underwhelmed by the re-imagined Corniche collection by Tricker's - they're not even English-made. At least the original Corniche range had some lovely shoes and boots, even if they were also very much a second-tier product line at the time.

(I also suspect that a lot of the old Corniche models were made of better quality materials, and to better standards, than those used by some top-end makers these days - Tricker's suede from decades past is something else, and their old gorse and zug leather is in a different league to what's used these days.)

If you're set on them, the Shoehealer has them on clearance for around £60 less than retail.

Personally, I'd stick to one of Tricker's 'flagship' models, not summat from this line which looks, to me, a little shabby and just another way to wring out a few more quid from the steadily increasing number of Tricker's fans from near and far.

If you're after a moccasin, look to some of the other makers who are famous for them - you'll be getting a little piece of heritage rather than an ill-considered add-on to a famous maker's key models.

hey fredashco, i have tried to contact your shoe guys with no luck. I even tried Crea blog with no response. Help a brother out?

Anyone know where to get the replacement heel for my lwb (quabaug or catpaws or any recommendation)?

and the heel replacement sole for my indy too?

The first heel is just a regular dovetail heel, although its the Alden version without the English curve. The second heel is called a Thomas heel and its shaped that way for orthopedic purposes. You can get both heels from any shoe repair shop.

finally manage to get this up after countless state hoping....

went to roberto ugolini in florence and spoke to him and stayed on for a while to watch the whole process of shoe making

some pics to share

333363_10150895715012624_1347300808_o.jpg177726_10150895713377624_1438047888_o.jpg177504_10150895714572624_588962552_o.jpg413704_10150895713757624_370912531_o.jpg243763_10150895714162624_970068844_o.jpg

and these are my red wings after 50 days of travelling

photo%25201.JPGphoto%25202.JPG

after some light brush without any conditioner or oil

photo%25203.JPGphoto%25204.JPG

will post more pics of other bespoke shoes maker and my own pair of boots.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...