Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Those Sagara boots are beautiful, and the price is really good as well. I might have to consider these once it becomes more boot season. Ive been eyeing up 1k miles also!

I just checked Baker's to fool around with the configuration for the White's Nomad, and it's saying that natural chrome excel is available.

Not sure if it was just a mistake or something but I may have to place an order.

I have done the same probably 5 times since they became available. The fact that White's is saying no to a few simple changes keeps me from committing. I love White's, and would love to have a pair of engineers from them. Don't you think brown semi dress leather would be perfect for a pair of engineers?

so who of the UK guys ever heard about Bexley Shoes?...Ctb?...

the Bexley Enfield is what i got...

worn ones:

Boots2.jpg

Boots1.jpg

not sure about the brand (continental european, no?) but those boots look very much like a pair that crockett & jones make for purdey, the famous english gun-makers (this pair is grained leather but i've also seen it in smooth calf). very handsome boots indeed...

quick question, I've got a pair of Brooks Brothers cordovan wingtips I bought used. I've removed all of the polish that had built up from their previous owner but they feel a little bit dry to me. I've seen shell crack before and I'd really like to avoid this. I've been told that Saphir Renovateur is a good product for this task but it's a bit tough to find and rather expensive. Is there anything else you guys might recommend for rehydrating shell cordovan shoes? If not I suppose I'll just grab the Renovateur but I figured I'd ask anyway. Thanks for any help you can give me.

quick question, I've got a pair of Brooks Brothers cordovan wingtips I bought used. I've removed all of the polish that had built up from their previous owner but they feel a little bit dry to me. I've seen shell crack before and I'd really like to avoid this. I've been told that Saphir Renovateur is a good product for this task but it's a bit tough to find and rather expensive. Is there anything else you guys might recommend for rehydrating shell cordovan shoes? If not I suppose I'll just grab the Renovateur but I figured I'd ask anyway. Thanks for any help you can give me.

You could try Allen Edmonds Cleaner/Conditioner and cordovan cream. 4 bucks for the conditioner and 8 bucks for the cream with free shipping in the US (Allen Edmonds website).

Edited by schmallo15

Guest INDIGO QUEEN

I recommend either:

Crockett and Jones. Or

Gaziano and Girling

For smart wear

And

Timberland walking boots

For the country

Sketchers for an alternative to trainers

Fitflops for summer or indoor wear

There are others I'd like to try but can't comment yet on their wear.

My Crocketts have been going the longest with only one repair (rubber soles and heels because leather is best left to Prince Charles!!!)

I recommend either:

Crockett and Jones. Or

Gaziano and Girling

For smart wear

And

Timberland walking boots

For the country

Sketchers for an alternative to trainers

Fitflops for summer or indoor wear

There are others I'd like to try but can't comment yet on their wear.

My Crocketts have been going the longest with only one repair (rubber soles and heels because leather is best left to Prince Charles!!!)

who the hell asked you

Question: anybody know if you can have red wing's "iron ranger" sole & heel put onto a pair of their 875s? I've been wearing my 875s for a year and i love 'em, but i've always had a preference for a heel, and I think the sole looks great too.

So can I put this sole & heel:

7691505860_c38f88f9e4.jpg

...onto this boot:

7691506662_315b3a1a81.jpg

Thanks for any input!

^ hard to see what they actually look like with the contrast dialed up so much!

Son of a bitch! These showed up on TheShoeMart Alden seconds list for $300. I called 1.5 hours after the list went out (stupid work getting in the way), and they were already gone! In the off chance someone here picked 'em up and they turn out not to fit... holler.

FD-44661.jpg

Regarding Sagara:

Can these be ordered from the US? And if so, how much?

Their response to my inquiry about MTO offerings and shipping to the States (I'm not posting all the pictures they sent here, but if there's enough interest i can):

1. We have 5 basic upper design, you can check the files "Capital-Imperial-Legacy-Majesty-Manhood" at our

attachment files :)

2. We have a several Leather upper option

a. Black Calf (as you can see at Manhood IV)

b. Chestnut Calf (as you can see at Capital II)

c. Whiskey Calf (as you can see at Capital III)

d. Cigar Pull-up (as you can see at Legacy IV)

e. Dark Brown Pull-up (as you can see at Imperial I)

f. Black Rough Out (this is our new leather, I'm sorry we didnt have picture of them for now)

g. Tan Rough Out (this is our new leather, I'm sorry we didnt have picture of them for now)

3. For the sole option, you can check the file "Commando Sole-Leather Sole-Micro Rubber+Leather". For Leather Sole option you can pick

a. HAF sole (Half at Forepart) as you can see at Imperial I and Capital III.

b. Single Leather sole as you can see at Capital II files.

c. If you need double leather sole, we can make it, I'm sorry, we didn't have a picture showing it
:)

4. You can put your name at sockliner, and the lining leather (tan, brown, black or none).

5. Here's the price list of our MTO, I'm sorry if you feel confuse with this, we're not finish the proper MTO catalogue :)

a. Double leather sole = add $15 additional cost

b. For Legacy and Imperial if you choose with lining option, it'll cost $10

c. Basic cost of the shoes :

1. Majesty = $260 (Goodyear Welted)

2. Manhood = $200 (Stitchdown), $250 (Goodyear Welted)

3. Legacy = $200 (Stitchdown), $250 (Goodyear Welted)

4. Imperial = $250 (Goodyear Welted)

5. Capital = $235 (Goodyear Welted)

d. Since a couple weeks ago, we have a policy that we erase $20 cost for MTO for International order
:)

e. Shipping cost to US is $56.0 plus 5% paypal handling cost

w11114m & CtB - thanks a lot for the feedback guys. the gf found a used, actually almost new pair, on the weekend market last weekend and bought´em for 15€...i got to try them on yesterday and i was quite amazed, since they´re pretty much big bang for the buck! great built, nice leather and the fit is spot on, maybe a tiny bit too big, but still...going to take some pics as soon as i find the time to!...thx!

Question: anybody know if you can have red wing's "iron ranger" sole & heel put onto a pair of their 875s? I've been wearing my 875s for a year and i love 'em, but i've always had a preference for a heel, and I think the sole looks great too.

So can I put this sole & heel:

...onto this boot:

Thanks for any input!

I can't imagine why you couldn't do such a job. They are a goodyear welted boot so when you need the sole replaced, just ask your cobbler to install the vibram sole & heel of your choice. I've seen some folks go the other way and have a standard sole/heel replaced with the white/wedge vibram sole on a welted boot.

I'm with you, I like the look of the 213 but once you've broken in a pair of boots, it would be a shame to replace them and start over with a fresh pair just to get a different sole.

Just my personal opinion, but for the price of the Wolverine 1K, you could do much better...

I couldn't agree more.

DSC_9880j.jpg

I bought these at a good discount (30% off) at a store that was closing. I'd been considering the RW GT/Beckman and found these to be more comfortable out of the box than the Red Wings. Couple the comfort and the sale price and I went with the 1K's.

In retrospect, I wish I'd done it a little differently. The out of the box comfort is a bit misleading and I don't think these would hold up as well long term compared to a variety of other boots/brands. Unfortunately, I found this thread *after* buying the 1K's. I've since settled on the SD as my next boot but these have broken in rather nicely and have held up well. Perhaps I'll bite the bullet this fall and just order the SD's.

FWIW, the 1K's are a decent boot in the $200 range but at full MSRP, as you said there are better choices. They were a good entry into the workboot marketplace however, and I'm now a lot more educated.

I've "built" [online] a pair of SD's countless times in the last couple of yrs. perhaps I'll finally hit the order button this year.

Edited by patrick_b

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...