Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

My $0.02 on arch support. The foot is basically a tripod. Make a Vulcan salute, the thumb is your heel, the two fingers are the forefoot points of contact. Collapse one of these arches and you get problems. Whatever works for you do it. If it is minimalist shoes or whites arch ease...do it. Sore feet suck!

i'm a minimalist runner and have used zero drop shoes with no support for half marathons for years, using a forefoot striking running technique, but that is a totally different application than what is needed for an 8 hour day of work on your feet, which is what i do for my day job. that arch support is definitely welcome and needed, which is why i'll be getting some nicks boots once the tread on my red wings starts to get too low. more support and a custom fit will make my feet very happy.

a couple extra pics i took for some friends.

redwing31402.jpg

redwing31401.jpg

As a dedicated runner (12 marathons in the past 15 years) albeit a slow one (I'm a big guy), I totally agree with Rob060 on this issue. I've found that zero drop, less support shoes actually staved off injuries for me despite my size and age. But when it comes to work, where I'm on my feet a lot, nothing beats my White's for comfort. Once my feet adapted to them, I've felt much better at the end of a day with them than with any other shoes/boots I've worn.

When it comes to running though, inevitably we've begun to see some move away from strictly minimalist trends. We now have the advent of "maximalist" shoes like the Hoka One One which have less of a drop from heel to toe than average running shoes but maximum cushion. A very Hegelian reaction I suppose ...

i'm a minimalist runner and have used zero drop shoes with no support for half marathons for years, using a forefoot striking running technique, but that is a totally different application than what is needed for an 8 hour day of work on your feet, which is what i do for my day job. that arch support is definitely welcome and needed, which is why i'll be getting some nicks boots once the tread on my red wings starts to get too low. more support and a custom fit will make my feet very happy.

Where did you find these? I posted a couple shots of my father's imperial brogues awhile back. He bought them in 65 for around $60.00. A lot of money at the time for a pair of shoes. They have been re-soled a couple of times and some repairs have been done to the lining.

Nice! Found the pictures you posted 3 years back and those are some seriously well aged shoes. Kudos to your dad for keeping with those for all that time. Mine were a gift btw.

^ It's an exploration by Teranishi... not yet available for general consumption because they're tinkering with the design a bit.

It's entirely the same leather; the sole was as smooth as the upper, very much designed for around the house use.  First few days of breaking them in was an experience haha, but they've stretched out nicely.

@crunch - Feit. Hand sewn. 

http://www.feitdirect.com/ 

They do limited runs. I think it's the Hiker High. I don't think that one's currently available. I do like that boot much more than many of their other styles. They are doing a Hiker Low currently. 

17081280662_ca11a5d7d3_c.jpg

Got the Lone Wolf Mechanic boots. Sizing on them for me was a size 7, I wear size 8 in Adidas, 8/8.5 in Converse, and a 9 in Nike. They seem to run really big. They fit just perfectly. If you need more info on sizing, lmk, I can give you more measurements. 

My initial reactions (a mile walk in them) are that they will be my new everyday boot. The quality is amazing and they are extremely comfortable compared to other boots I've had in the past (Wolverine, Danner, etc) I would highly recommend them, but please do your homework with sizing. It took me a while, but I think I passed haha. 

I really wish all boot companies would just stick to one universal size. 

Edited by halfbaiked

Have a pair of the farmers in a 9.5 and seriously couldn't get a better fit on a non custom boot. Also they are definitely a cleanly built boot, zero imperfections on mine.

Let's see some pictures.

@crunch - Feit. Hand sewn. 

http://www.feitdirect.com/

They do limited runs. I think it's the Hiker High. I don't think that one's currently available. I do like that boot much more than many of their other styles. They are doing a Hiker Low currently. 

Thanks!  Gone through their site and seems like those hikers were the only ones of interest.... 

Lone Wolfs are great in quality.  Pick up a used pair of 2 tone engineerings and had some cats paws heels put on. - they look amazing with a clean and polish  Turns out it's alittle small for me, I initial thought a 7 was good for me (I'm a size 7 in loakes, 7.5 in Grensons, 7.5 in RW).  Rats!!!

@onehundy - thanks. Did not know that. 

looking at shoe size conversion charts is maddening - every one is different! My foot measure 10.25" / 26cm in length; 9 overall length on a Brannock, but my arch length measures a 10. Different size charts put me anywhere between a US 8.5 to a 10. 

Toys McCoys says their 8.5 is 26.5cm, which is what I think I'd go for. 

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...