Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Yeah, these really look great!  BTW, what is "toe bug stitching"...?

Custom Semi Dress by White's Boots
Hardware All Black Eyes, Celastic Toe Box Single Celastic Toe, Midsole Single, Heel Base 90 Degree Blocked off Heel (Traveler), Upper (Shaft) Leather Distressed Rough Out, Toe Cap No Thanks, Toe Vamp Leather Distressed Rough Out, Sole Trim Close Trim, Last Standard, Leather Liner No Thanks, Pull Loops No Thanks, Size - Width E, Toe Bug Stitching No Thank You, Sole Vibram 430 Mini Vib, Heel Lifts 1/4" Lower, Edge Natural, Toe Bug Stitching Color Does not apply, Size - Length 10

Yeah, these really look great!  BTW, what is "toe bug stitching"...?

It is decorative stitching on the vamp right before the toes. You see it most often on western or cowboy boots.

Interesting -- never seen that on Semi Dress boots...

Should be more of it, IMO...

2d767fp.jpg

Edited by freyeisen

I believe these are Red Wings that were resoled and cap toe added by Brass. I read their blog religiously!

Yeah, so basically... this is how Red Wings are supposed to look...! ;-)

By the way, is it just me, or are the guys at Brass obsessed with boots having a 3" thick mid-sole...?!!  Looks cool, but I don't know about having to actually walk around in them. Plus... the additional 3" would put me up to 6' 5"... ;-)

Edited by freyeisen

ha ha, I just re checked sombrero's post and they have the same back drop too!  ;)  :ph34r:

Ha, are they CLINCH? sombrero just posted some of their shoes above  that look suspiciously like these!

I believe these are Red Wings that were resoled and cap toe added by Brass. I read their blog religiously!

Yep, they're from Brass, makers of Clinch. From their Blog.

Amazing job, isn't it. They made a totally different boot out of the Beckmans. And while they of course are doing that all the time, what is special about this one, at least to me, is the added toe cap that fits in so nicely.

Well, it's a classier way to look taller than putting lifts in your shoes, I suppose.

I have always liked the look of a thick leather sole, like these william lennons!...

http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/popup_image.php?pID=322ℑ=0

Yeah... but this sort of thing is something else...

20131206_295462.jpg

Perhaps there is a craftsmanship element to it... but I'll just come out and say it... it's pretty silly, in my view.

Sorry for a sizing ?.

I've poked around a bit, but couldn't easily find sizing info and I can't make the search work to save my life.

What size am in Whites (Standard last) if I am:

8.5 - Viberg service boot (310 Last)

9 - Red Wing 9011 Beckman

I'd say size the same as red wing, or possibly half up if the RW sizing is snug. White's are certainly not roomier in my experience. I have some 875 in RW in 9d that are years old and I only wear for gardening and 'real work' now, I remember them being a snug fit at first. I wear 9.5E in White's SD. I had a pair of BH in 9E that just were not quite big enough.

There is a thread on boot sizing advice where you may find a lot of opinions on this very question. It took me three goes to get a good whites SD fit.

Edited by fre-co

here are my 12yr olds, but starting to crack up, still wearing them though, resoled with DrSole, super comfy, and almost bouncy!

sorry for the shitty phone pics, but my cam is giving me some problems...

and thanks to thinker for hookin up!!!

p4pb10395928.jpg

p4pb10395927.jpg

Edited by zephyr11

here are my 12yr olds, but starting to crack up, still wearing them though, resoled with DrSole, super comfy, and almost bouncy!

sorry for the shitty phone pics, but my cam is giving me some problems...

and thanks to thinker for hookin up!!!

My pleasure ;-)

Thanks a lot and enjoy the soles. 

Edited by thinker0217

Shameless Plug:

We're trying to get enough peeps on board this MTO Viberg Tan Bison Scout Boots. Pls pm "LA Guy" @styleforum if interested.

the mash-up:

w0ym.jpg

A) Tan Bison Scout Boot

Leather: tan bison
Model: Scout boot
Last: 110
Toecap: none, unstructured toe
Sole: Double leather sole , natural
Eyelets: 7 antique brass eyelets

if seems there's not enough peeps who voted for the Tan Bison Scout who ACTUALLY put in the order. it'd be a shame to waste the opportunity to acquire a fab & unique build up such as this.

honestly, the 1 & only apprehension i have that's preventing me from pulling the trigger are the leather soles .... 'just could never get used to them. but, if they're EXACTLY like the soles on the 8" ENGINEER BLACK [Japanese] HORSEHIDE__ ie, Cat's Paw half-soles, i'm mosdef on board.

FOK said if we can "... scrounge up enough guys in week", we can make it for round 2. LET'S DO THIS PEEPS!!!

Edited by BrownMetallic

I was doing some research on my Fathers Florsheim imperial brogues and came across this website www.classicshoesformen.com

I am not an expert in any way but I believe originally a double leather sole was used for extra support for "Stout" gentlemen.

In my line of work I end up having to crawl up a lot of ladders and have found that a single leather sole is not adequate when balancing on a rung. 

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...