Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Hi there, I have a question for you all, and hope this is an appropriate place to ask.

I am about to resole these old friends, Tricker's mod. William, which I bought in 2000 and had served me very well over the last 13 years.

I will put a vibram commando sole this time. I am tempted to put a honey commando sole, what do you think? does anyone have photos of similar boots sporting a honey commando sole?

the other (safer) possibility is to go with a dark brown commando.

null_zpsd82616e8.jpg

Hi volvo240thebest,

If I were you, I would probably go for the black commando. Black outsoles never go wrong with the burgundy uppers (Are your tricker's burgundy? That's what I see from my computer). But, that's just my personal taste. 

Edited by thinker0217

I hope this is the right place to ask.

I am interested in ordering a custom pair of Vibergs, so I sent an email with the basic details to [email protected] (which I found on their website) along with a few questions about some options I was not sure on. That was a week ago and I have not gotten a response. Am I writing to an outdated email address? I've no problem waiting of course so hope this doesn't seem like impatient internet baby stuff... just want to make sure I am in the right queue.

Hi there, the boots are dark brown. Also the cobbler suggested to go with black actually but I don't like to mix up black and brown.

Should anyone have photos of other English country boots equipped with a honey commando sole I'd love to see.

Thks

Volvo

@ ColdStorage. That does seem an over long time to wait. I got a prompt response (within 48 hours), though in the end I was really disappointed by how little I could actually customise.

I couldn't choose the leather, last or construction I wanted. Needless to say I didn't take the order forward.

Wesco Jobmaster

8"

Black Tie x Black Fire leather

Brown leather lined

Double leather midsole

Brass hardware

Vibram #705

Over 3 years of usage...I custom ordered these boots based on the Japanese limited edition - "Jobmaster King," which equipped with horsehide on the shaft and waterproof Nautilus leather on the vamp and counter parts. Since the horsehide and Nautilus leather are no longer available as order options, I use the black tie leather to replace the horsehide and black fire leather to replace the waterproof Nautilus leather. The result was quite satisfying.

I would like to mention that the Black Fire leather is truly thick and tough; it seems not to wrinkle or age like other leather does. After 3 years of usage, the black fire leather on my Jobmaster still looks like new. I don't know whether it is an advantage or a drawback...

The other thing is that they are damn heavy and stiff. I feel like I am still breaking in them every time I wear them. 

1185957_10201970932333931_1321853964_n.j1186827_10201970932293930_1749422595_n.j

1238917_10201970932133926_1130508796_n.j

Wesco Jobmaster

8"

Black Tie x Black Fire leather

Brown leather lined

Double leather midsole

Brass hardware

Vibram #705

Over 3 years of usage...I custom ordered these boots based on the Japanese limited edition - "Jobmaster King," which equipped with horsehide on the shaft and waterproof Nautilus leather on the vamp and counter parts. Since the horsehide and Nautilus leather are no longer available as order options, I use the black tie leather to replace the horsehide and black fire leather to replace the waterproof Nautilus leather. The result was quite satisfying.

I would like to mention that the Black Fire leather is truly thick and tough; it seems not to wrinkle or age like other leather does. After 3 years of usage, the black fire leather on my Jobmaster still looks like new. I don't know whether it is an advantage or a drawback...

The other thing is that they are damn heavy and stiff. I feel like I am still breaking in them every time I wear them. 

1185957_10201970932333931_1321853964_n.j1186827_10201970932293930_1749422595_n.j

1238917_10201970932133926_1130508796_n.j

These are a very nice make-up....I never thought I'd dip into LTT, but it really is what Wesco does best as far as lace-up boots, and these look absolutely phenomenal...I'd really like to get something like this for my next everyday beater.

Man I want those boondockers so bad. I also know part of the appeal is to wear them in but I just don't know if i can sit well with staining them up...does the oil/wax that they provide help with general dirt/scuffing?

Yes.

As TresUnCool says, and I agree, I'm not a fan of how light they are out of the box. They need to get beaten up and darkened!

Wax (or dubbin) really darkens them and makes them scuff resistant, though rough out already is much more than other leather.

Yes.

As TresUnCool says, and I agree, I'm not a fan of how light they are out of the box. They need to get beaten up and darkened!

Wax (or dubbin) really darkens them and makes them scuff resistant, though rough out already is much more than other leather.

I don't really get wearing light colored rough out and not waxing it up, especially with super heavy duty boots.  They show every single stain, scuff, and abrasion and it really stands out in a way that I don't dig.  To each their own, but to me, the allure of rough out has always been how well it takes treatment like sno seal.

Getting out my not-ungodly-hot-weather boots (it's Texas, I'm lucky if I can wear boots and jeans six months out of the year), finally.

I've taken to wearing a rotation of Sanuks over the summer and my feet seem to have spread a bit, or I've become used to the relatively loose feeling. My 14EE White's SDs fit okay with plain cotton socks and probably better with some of my thin wool socks, but I'm doubtful they would be comfortable with heavier socks or after a day of walking.

Thinking about ordering up another pair of SDs in F or FF - is it worth sending in a tracing of my foot to Baker or White's, or is the size difference between EE and F/FF usually small enough that I can lace tighter or wear bigger socks if necessary?

I hope this is the right place to ask.

I am interested in ordering a custom pair of Vibergs, so I sent an email with the basic details to [email protected] (which I found on their website) along with a few questions about some options I was not sure on. That was a week ago and I have not gotten a response. Am I writing to an outdated email address? I've no problem waiting of course so hope this doesn't seem like impatient internet baby stuff... just want to make sure I am in the right queue.

Email Morgan directly, [email protected]. He's the one you would typically deal with.

According to my friend, who is the authorized dealer of Viberg, Viberg no longer accept any custom order several months ago. Thank is to say, we can only buy the stock boots from Viberg's website or some authorized dealers. The reason is that Viberg is too busy to make any custom boots one by one. That's also why Viberg set up an online store where we can buy the  ready-to-ship boots.

If the info is not correct, please correct me :-) 

According to my friend, who is the authorized dealer of Viberg, Viberg no longer accept any custom order several months ago. Thank is to say, we can only buy the stock boots from Viberg's website or some authorized dealers. The reason is that Viberg is too busy to make any custom boots one by one. That's also why Viberg set up an online store where we can buy the  ready-to-ship boots.

If the info is not correct, please correct me :-) 

a couple of forums have ongoing MTO group buys__ here are a few:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/361808/viberg-for-styleforummarket-order-2-suggestions/0_30

https://www.ironheart.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5143.msg0#new

https://www.ironheart.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4936.msg268306#new

https://www.ironheart.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5140.0

Edited by BrownMetallic

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...