Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

personally, i think dress shoes look better crisp and with very liittle show of age, and work shoes look better when used. i was just hoping to see some dressies inna hobo style with a shredded 3 piece suit, popped top hat, and saddle joints with the toe box blowed out. i kinda like that look too.

Say did you ever dig up much of anything about the Horseman Joe stuff? I never did find alot about them on the 'net, but they look decent. Like these, heel too much for me but right bit of boot otherwise.

5 eyelet / W003

8211923650_5ecc11278f.jpg

Wow! Very interesting stuff!

In the interests of 'playing nicely', I'll put the confused paragraph above down to a lack of understanding of my vernacular rather than wilful misinterpretation of what I've said.

Condescending tone.

Strange. I could have sworn you were advocating a false comparison cause I didnt take quality into account. Who is confused here? Or is it just you that are bugging out and refraining from your original standpoint?

Edited by denimjunky

Condescending tone.

Strange. I could have sworn you were propagating a false comparison cause I didnt take quality into account. Who is confused here? Or is it just you that are bugging out and refraining from your original standpoint?

You are.

Re-read my post below.

The point about the longevity of Crat's collection is based around how he's cared for them (i.e. not beating them up) as opposed to what kind of footwear they are. The same point would be similarly applicable if his collection were made up entirely of work-boots that had been well cared for, and not caned the fuck outta.

There's no comparison there of quality of evolution in either direction, just a comment around the care lavished on his own shoes and boots and how you can't compare dress and work boots side by side when it comes to evolution (the 'false comparison').

It's a false comparison, as putting workboots and high-quality dress shoes side-by-side is hardly a like-for-like comparison beyond talking about quality of build and materials, and the construction of the boot or shoe in question.

The evolution of leather is based on how it's worn and how it's treated, and you wouldn't necessarily treat workboots in the same way as an oxford captoe (although a little flexibility around this can be good for the soul, admittedly...!).

Do you think that I'd leave a big scuff on one of my formal shoes, if I scraped it on the pavement? Nope, I'd sort it out as soon as I got home...

If, as I suspect, it's down to that old, tedious chestnut of 'authenticity' then I'd suggest that the only people on here who should have boots that are proper beat-up are the people who actually work in them, like the good blokes who post their 'actually-used-for-work-workboots' in this thread from time to time.

Crat doesn't say whether or not those pairs posted above are his entire collection but if they are, I'd say that he's probably got more long-term value for money out of his expensive dress shoes than a lot of people who might be tempted to cane the fuck out of their footwear in a rush to get that 'beat-up' look and then have to retire their boots after a year or two...

Quoted verbatim, with bold added for emphasis and clarity.

Now let's have some pics of boots and shoes, from both sides of the Atlantic.

Different strokes for different folks, Thats all.

So true.

Re-read my post below.

Quoted verbatim, with bold added for emphasis and clarity.

Not the most easy english for the non english mother tongued but thanks for clearing that up.

EDIT: And I very much agree that they seem to age in very different ways. Not that I have any own experience of owning any but from judging by the pictorial material on here. Now, If its only whence the wearing style, I highly doubt.

Edited by denimjunky

... and beyond CTB, it's a big world out there.

Don't you fucking start, sunshine!

You actually in Halifax, by the way? Should arrange a Yorkshire get-together next time I'm in Leeds as I'm sure hoggreaser's arms could be twisted into a light lunch in Headingley one weekend...

Not the most easy english for the non english mother tongued but thanks for clearing that up.

You're welcome.

Now, some boots. Colour in the bottom pic is most accurate:

imag0391b.jpg

imag0387g.jpg

imag0398i.jpg

imag0388b.jpg

^Easily the best finishing I've seen on a veldtschoen boot.

Boys boys --

The arch-ease in my left boot is audibly creaking/squeaking when I walk, and I can feel it move with pressure from my stride. It gives under my weight (I weigh 140 lbs so I hope that's not the issue) very easily.

The right one is solid as a rock and silent, of course.

Is this a craftsmanship error? Something that will readjust with time and wear? Tips? Halp! :D

^Im sorry to hear that. Im afraid it wont mend itself,

and it is most probably a construction error. I have something quite similar with my WL lennons. They squeak horribly. I made contact with a cobbler here in old town Stockholm and they suggested like 600Sek for the mending. I might contact WL but Im just to lazy to ship them over to the UK. I would in your case contact White's or bakers whatever.

I find a lot of Viberg stuff ugly. A brand without subtlety that rides the wave of heritage/trend lead consumerism evidenced perfectly by it's ridiculous prices and (as is sometimes reported) patchy customer service. No doubt it's all really well made but the stuff looks so underwhelming to me.

Rkusmant - what boot is that? fantastic profile.

I find a lot of Viberg stuff ugly. A brand without subtlety that rides the wave of heritage/trend lead consumerism evidenced perfectly by it's ridiculous prices and (as is sometimes reported) patchy customer service. No doubt it's all really well made but the stuff looks so underwhelming to me.

over on the IHUK forum Brett actually registered to respond to some of the criticism. Its going to take more than one "our bad" response from the brand to make me actually consider them as an option again, but Im stubborn. What I got from them was they were not interested in my business, so I went elsewhere.

It's wesco boss with motor patrol toe, besides 705 sole, the rest is 'standard'. I think I like this better than my RRL ones, still stuck in cobbler for second stretching sessions.

Thanks rkusmant, I thought they might be the wesco. That toe is really the key to the boot. Really good stuff and nice colour too. I have the rrls and i must have got lucky with sizing as no problems for me. WIll post some more pics soon.

Don't know why Brett bothered with IHUK, I doubt there is any shortage of takers for his boots on there.

I have a hard time thinking of White Kloud's stuff as boots and not some kind of leather art. Probably because I've never seen any worn-in. The level of perfection and neatness triggers some kind of uncanny valley response in my brain...a sight to behold, but I'm not sure I want them on my feet.

Edited by hollowsleather

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...