lets talk watches

poopie boy

the one posted is 1080€, about $1680. Their cheaper one is nearly the same, but in a metallic color, which imo removes it a bit of her charm. my next watch will be a sinn, i just hope i won't wait too long.

or ... does anyone know of a nice looking pvd treated watch that looks a bit the same ?

wildstyle, this Damasko is really nice, though i'd get a sinn for that price, i love the yellow hand and the full calendar.

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/DamaskoDA36.html

Bathys make a really nice PVD version of their 100 fathom watch, they also make a UV PVD which is a sort of purple colour.

bathys_black_auto_sm_web.jpg

hey fellas my grandpa gave me this watch since he collects them and i was wondering if i could get some info about it

picture823sr8.jpg

i have no knowledge on watches all i know is that it says "Caravelle" ahaha if that can even help

From what I gather, caravelle is/were made by bulova watches, and that style of watch is generally know ans a "skeleton" watch, thats about it though. Why dont you ask you grandfather about it since he gave it to you.

From what I gather, caravelle is/were made by bulova watches, and that style of watch is generally know ans a "skeleton" watch, thats about it though. Why dont you ask you grandfather about it since he gave it to you.

caravelle is a bulova co. brand. it's not one of the independent brands that bulova bought out, so it's basically just a bulova with a different name. the brand usually sells for under $300, but i don't think the skeleton style is one of their standards. the bulova site says that caravelles are non-jeweled, which generally translates to lower quality. your grandfather, as a collector, probably just bought it b/c it's cheap and unique, especially compared to most other skeleton models made by other brands. nice unique grab, especially since it's free.

with all the sinn talk above - here's a recent pic of my daily wearer... had it for about 2 1/2 years already.

Sinn 756 UTC S

os4dav.jpg

very accurate. black coating is wearing down a bit on the clasp, but otherwise in great shape. very happy overall.

i rarely see him and i dont talk to him much since he's like my step grandfather ahaha

Nice Sinn, I have had the 656 for some time, a future classic and very well priced.Just to clear up the B&R/Sinn thing.B&R in the 90's were just rebranded Sinns, Sinn was founded in the early 60's .B&R still use that familiar aircraft instrument type dial that Sinn developed.The original owner of Sinn sold out a few years ago and has now launchesd another brand but I can't remember the name at the moment though i'm sure he was calle Helmut Sinn,

got bored so snapped some pics. here's some of my favorites out of my collection

Breitling Chronometer

before they remodeled them a couple years ago

DSC_0424.jpg

Breitling Colt GMT

came with the bracelete but it's my travel/weekend watch so i use the rubber diver's strap

DSC_0427.jpg

DSC_0426.jpg

Ernst Benz Chronoscope

i usually don't go for "fashion watches" but the off white dial with the red hands sold me, it's become my every day work watch

DSC_0429.jpg

DSC_0428.jpg

Blancpain Villeret

ulra-slim in rose gold, Ref. 4053-3642-55 (no second hand). my favorite. i have a boner just talking about it. it was a wedding gift from my parents a couple months ago, i've only worn it like twice but i just got it insured so i'll probably work it into the rotation a little more often now

DSC_0423.jpg

DSC_0422.jpg

Very beautiful Blancpain, eric...and congratulations.

in my teens & twenties, i lusted for breitlings. now dash dials like the sinn appeal to me more.

music for the...is that watch tegimented? i'm curious about the durability of sinn's tegimented watches, whether they're as scuff/scratch proof as dlc.

Revoked posted his watch earlier (see below). I have usually avoided wearing watches since I have small wrists, but something like this would be perfect for me. It has a small face and a very clean minimal design. Does anyone have any recommendations or brands I should check out for similar watches? I'd like to keep the price under $500, but would still like to know all the options that are out there, especially since I usually spend way more than I set out to. Thanks in advance for any help.

rollyak4.jpg

Wow! That Blancpain is jaw dropping. Very nice Ericdw.

DSC_0423.jpg

Revoked posted his watch earlier (see below). I have usually avoided wearing watches since I have small wrists, but something like this would be perfect for me. It has a small face and a very clean minimal design. Does anyone have any recommendations or brands I should check out for similar watches? I'd like to keep the price under $500, but would still like to know all the options that are out there, especially since I usually spend way more than I set out to. Thanks in advance for any help.

Wow! That Blancpain is jaw dropping. Very nice Ericdw.

thanks.

about your request, before i got into more expensive stuff, i bought a lot of watches in that price range. i don't recommend it, because once you have one, you'll want basically the same design but of better quality, and end up buying it and never wearing the cheaper one again.

but here's some info anyway: i'm a big advocate of small-run british watch companies for cheaper watches. a couple that come to mind are RLT Watches and Time Factors. They design watches, sometimes with the help of their loyal internet forum-members, make a certain number, and them move on to other designs. i'm not sure if they have anything like what you're looking for now, but the price range is what you want. Time Factors is more limited, but they make a watch called Precista fat arrow (i think) that still may be in stock. also try checking out Poor Man's Watch Forum for tons of discussions on watches that are in that price range.

also, if you're patient enough, you can get a used rolex for well a under a grand, because they're a dime a dozen and the used market is completely saturated.

music for the...is that watch tegimented? i'm curious about the durability of sinn's tegimented watches, whether they're as scuff/scratch proof as dlc.

yeah, its tegimented. it really is very durable/scratch proof. i'm actually quite surprised at the condition its in still since, as i mentioned, its been my daily wearer for the past few years. the only area with significant wear and tear is on the clasp and a few links where it rubs against my desk when i rest my wrist. otherwise, the finish has held up.

on buying "inexpensive" watches - yeah, save and buy up - don't settle. you'll only end up buying something else down the road...

also, if you're patient enough, you can get a used rolex for well a under a grand, because they're a dime a dozen and the used market is completely saturated.

Eric, can you elaborate on this?

I've spent my fare share of time on the Rolex forums and talking to dealers and i've seen nothing like this, my Rolex was bought used and cost over $3K and it's just a DateJust.

If you have leads on legit places where they're selling their used Rolex collections for under $1K let me know here or via PM. The cheapest Rolex prices you normally see rarely dip under $2k, let alone 1K...

Eric, can you elaborate on this?

I've spent my fare share of time on the Rolex forums and talking to dealers and i've seen nothing like this, my Rolex was bought used and cost over $3K and it's just a DateJust.

If you have leads on legit places where they're selling their used Rolex collections for under $1K let me know here or via PM. The cheapest Rolex prices you normally see rarely dip under $2k, let alone 1K...

Kiya - you're correct on this - it's extrememly rare to find any kind of rolex for under $1K (let alone 2). The basic rule of thumb is that if a price seems too good to be true, it's probably a fake. In all honesty, I'd be leery of buying any used rolex without getting its authenticity verified by a jeweler or watch-repair guy you trust.

basically, for a used date-just, oyster or air-king, one would expect to pay around 2K and up. Used sport models (sub, explorer, sea-dweller) go for around 3K and up.

Kiya - you're correct on this - it's extrememly rare to find any kind of rolex for under $1K (let alone 2). The basic rule of thumb is that if a price seems too good to be true, it's probably a fake. In all honesty, I'd be leery of buying any used rolex without getting its authenticity verified by a jeweler or watch-repair guy you trust.

basically, for a used date-just, oyster or air-king, one would expect to pay around 2K and up. Used sport models (sub, explorer, sea-dweller) go for around 3K and up.

Everything you said is exactly what i've always believed, but Eric knows his watches so i thought maybe there was a source or something i was missing..

Air King's have been sold under 2k on TimeZone. And I have seen Tudors go around that price also.

I sold my Datejust (two-tone), jubilee bracelet, for $3500 (box, papers, and all). It was much easier selling a Rollie then it was selling my Omega Speedy, and my IWC Portofino.

Rollie is the way to go if you don't have the cake for what you really want. Just hold and resell, when you come up with more scratch.

Just got my Breitling Skyland in, and will take pictures once I get my camera back. But, after seeing the limited Master Compressor I think I made the wrong decision.

Everything you said is exactly what i've always believed, but Eric knows his watches so i thought maybe there was a source or something i was missing..

while i have no actual facts to back it up, i'm positive i've seen cellinis that look legit (with papers, etc) on PMWF and TZ for 1k. although i did a couple quick searches and couldn't come up with anything now, so maybe you're right kiya. admittedly i don't know all that much about rolex b/c i'm not a fan, i was just going off of what i remembered seeing around the forums.

idrawdinosaurs, are you still trying to sell your IWC?

ericdw, skip the 3706. I had a terrible time selling it. It lacks AR, and lume is pretty poor compared to my 3719 (Aquatimer Chrono).

I would suggest you keep an eye out for a 3717. I have seen them go for about $3000 used on TZ, only a few hundred more then a 3706. Plus you get the upgraded presentation box. And I know some dudes in China who can make you the big pilot strap for cheap.

Changes the whole look of the watch.

while i have no actual facts to back it up, i'm positive i've seen cellinis that look legit (with papers, etc) on PMWF and TZ for 1k. although i did a couple quick searches and couldn't come up with anything now, so maybe you're right kiya. admittedly i don't know all that much about rolex b/c i'm not a fan, i was just going off of what i remembered seeing around the forums.

idrawdinosaurs, are you still trying to sell your IWC?

Probably the quartz cellini's?

can anyone recommend some reputable vintage watch dealers online?

and does anyone have experience with www.classicwatch.com?

kthx

I'd also like to know, because if so i'm about to buy another Rolex from these guys.

another as in you've bought from them before? or another rolex?

from what i can tell, they restore vintage watches and sell em... return policy looks good enough that i can take it to IWC in new york and they'll tell me if it's legit and how much more work it needs. i'm gonna pull the trigger in a couple days even if i don't learn any more - it's under 2k and i don't wanna miss it. i'll let you know how it turns out.

edit: for kiya, and anyone else who cares, the site and the guy who runs it gets props on a bunch of forums... so at least he seems legit now. and he posts on some of them, which is comforting a sign. lol. i just hope he does good work

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15456