lets talk watches

poopie boy

I will not refute you further since I can see we're both on the opposite end of the spectrum and neither will take into account the others opinion.

If you know anything about watchese you know that Panerai is prompt up by fan boys. As a Panerai owner I cannot understand how people are willing to part with 4k to buy a fucking decorated Swiss Eta 6497. 000. 005, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 203, 210, 217, do you want me to continue? Half of their catalog is based off one of the simplest movements, albeit reliable, but definitely what they are asking for. Oh, and their auto movements are mostly Swiss Eta 2436, 2892, or Valjoux 7750 with Chrono disabled. It took them about 60 years to come up with a in-house movement, and from all accounts it is not all that reliable.

Argue history, argue hype, argue the unique crown guard, or maybe the community of the Paneristi site, but its apples and oranges when you compare a Panerai to anything else in it's price range.

My 112 is purely trade bait (maybe the new B&R Phantom 03-92, if I had bigger wrist Dunkin that monster would have been mine).

If you know anything about watchese you know that Panerai is prompt up by fan boys. As a Panerai owner I cannot understand how people are willing to part with 4k to buy a fucking decorated Swiss Eta 6497. 000. 005, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 203, 210, 217, do you want me to continue? Half of their catalog is based off one of the simplest movements, albeit reliable, but definitely what they are asking for. Oh, and their auto movements are mostly Swiss Eta 2436, 2892, or Valjoux 7750 with Chrono disabled. It took them about 60 years to come up with a in-house movement, and from all accounts it is not all that reliable.

Argue history, argue hype, argue the unique crown guard, or maybe the community of the Paneristi site, but its apples and oranges when you compare a Panerai to anything else in it's price range.

My 112 is purely trade bait (maybe the new B&R Phantom 03-92, if I had bigger wrist Dunkin that monster would have been mine).

Agree to disagree.

agree to agree

liek i said most watches use the Swiss ETA and we are drastically overpaying for these watches with these types of movements anyway.....so to say one watch is so much better than the other when they basically have the same innards, you are just buying into the marketing.....

Dunkin knows what's up.

Those on a budget need to check Steinhart/Debaufre. They have Swiss guts, use high quality steel, and have sapphire; all for under $600. Basically, you get a Pilot with the same movement as a PAM for an 8th of the price.

And don't forget Seiko. The US has a lack of choices, but the 5 Sports series is as reliable as you can get for around 3 bills. And the special editions of the Monster in Asia are crazy.

I have not bought into any hype, but understand the engineering that goes into each timepiece Panerai creates. First, Panerai has a extremely rich history which goes back to the late 1800s. Later Gio Panerai became a supplier to the Royal Italian Navy to construct brilliant precision instruments. The Luminor series which made the company famous owes credit to the Italian Special Forces Commandos. Panerai amalgams all these credentials and engineering into each and every product. I'll stick w/ my stance on Panerai.

:)

Except all the Panerais for sale today are made in Switzerland with ETA movements and have been ever since Richemont (aka Swatch) bought them a few years ago. All they share with the original Italian Navy watches is the name.

As for B&R, for the money they charge, I'd expect them to be better made - they don't even bother to align the fucking screws on the case - there's only 4 of them and they're huge, so there's no excuse for having them all pointing in different directions.

As for B&R, for the money they charge, I'd expect them to be better made - they don't even bother to align the fucking screws on the case - there's only 4 of them and they're huge, so there's no excuse for having them all pointing in different directions.

It may be intentional, and I prefer the screws in different directions

My view on panerai (and keep in mind that I own a couple of them),

- Love the aesthetics and overall look of the historic line

- Love the history behind them

- They're mostly looks and hype and not even close to any REAL watch co. like PP or others

- After the Original Co was bought out, in '99 I believe, the quality started going downhill and marketing/hype started going uphill

- If I could only have 1 watch, it would not be a panerai.

all my everyday watches are chronos so I've been wanting a simple casual watch, like a hamilton khaki field but better quality. lookin to spend around a grand, so IWC is probably out of the question...

something like these

H70455533.jpgH69419363.jpg

any suggestions?

Hey, for that guy thats looking for the B&R Phantom, heres a phantom chrono on sale for 5k USD, and this seller is totally legit, I have bought 3 or 4 watches from him over the years and never had a problem, hes based in Florida USA, his name is OJ and hes a really nice guy and total professional to deal with.

http://www.watchuwant.com/watches-for-sale/Bell-Ross-BR-01-94-Phantom-Chrono.html

Thanks but I can't swing the 94, I wanted the 03 because I have a small wrist, or I would have swooped on the 01 already.

Hey, for that guy thats looking for the B&R Phantom, heres a phantom chrono on sale for 5k USD, and this seller is totally legit, I have bought 3 or 4 watches from him over the years and never had a problem, hes based in Florida USA, his name is OJ and hes a really nice guy and total professional to deal with.

http://www.watchuwant.com/watches-for-sale/Bell-Ross-BR-01-94-Phantom-Chrono.html

IWC Portofino can be purchased for around a grand used. It is their most basic IWC and the dial is about 38mm. I suggest you look at the IWC Portuguese, and just save your money. In the 3-6k range it is the best looking "dressy" chrono. And check Stowa. You can get a beauty for about a grand, and there will be no busy chrono.

all my everyday watches are chronos so I've been wanting a simple casual watch, like a hamilton khaki field but better quality. lookin to spend around a grand, so IWC is probably out of the question...

something like these

any suggestions?

IWC Portofino can be purchased for around a grand used. It is their most basic IWC and the dial is about 38mm. I suggest you look at the IWC Portuguese, and just save your money. In the 3-6k range it is the best looking "dressy" chrono. And check Stowa. You can get a beauty for about a grand, and there will be no busy chrono.

thanks. i thought about the portofino but it's too similar to my blancpain villaret, i'm looking for something more casual. plus, no matter how cheap i got it, i wouldn't want to use an iwc as a beater. :)

maybe hamilton is just the way to go - does anyone have any experience with them? quality?

something like these

any suggestions?

stowa airmen's are really nice, but they're pricey b/c the dollar is unbelievably shitty right now.

http://stowa.de/shop/cgi-bin/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=8155&ls=e&nc=1216930818-8244&rubnum=flieger&artnum=fliegerohnelogo&file=&gesamt_zeilen=Tshowrub--flieger

Except all the Panerais for sale today are made in Switzerland with ETA movements and have been ever since Richemont (aka Swatch) bought them a few years ago. All they share with the original Italian Navy watches is the name.

Sounds about right.

here's my daily wearer (sinn 656S). i was considering a br03-92 for a while but then found out about sinn, which i feel was a more educated purchase. i like that the shape is more conservative than the giant square and will be something i can wear for a long time.

essentials-3sixteen-andrew-02-500x333.jpg

i am very jealous right now because it is the watch i want to buy when it'll be in my priorities (read: not now unfortunately).

good move to get it over the br i think, this looks will go through the time well, unlike the br.

you seem like having some nice photo gear, mind doing some more nice shots ?

The dial on the Sinn and the B&R are virtually identical aside from the obvious name difference, from what I understand Sinn and B&R worked together developing areonautical dials in the past and the B&R/Sinn instrument watches are styled on those. Im pretty sure thats what I read anyway.

hum. from what i remember, b&r past is completly bs, actually B&R from the 90's were just rebranded Sinn's.

the one posted is 1080€, about $1680. Their cheaper one is nearly the same, but in a metallic color, which imo removes it a bit of her charm. my next watch will be a sinn, i just hope i won't wait too long.

or ... does anyone know of a nice looking pvd treated watch that looks a bit the same ?

wildstyle, this Damasko is really nice, though i'd get a sinn for that price, i love the yellow hand and the full calendar.

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/DamaskoDA36.html