lets talk watches

poopie boy

• 3 weeks later...

i just switched back to this :

0802tank0001ta4.jpg

0802tank0004dd8.jpg

vintage cartier tank - 18K gold and manual wind.

i replaced the face and got a black lizard strap a few years ago before i put it into storage. now that everyone has 50mm watches, maybe its time for something different...

0802tank0001ta4.jpg

0802tank0004dd8.jpg

i replaced the face and got a black lizard strap a few years ago before i put it into storage. now that everyone has 50mm watches, maybe its time for something different...

nice watch indeed. how much did it run you?
cool watch that bell & ross. large on the wrist though? my wrists are so skinny i have difficulty over 40mm. this is what i am wearing now:

img0906lw5.jpg

gary, way to switch things up, but a classic watch is always in style imo

i got a really good deal on the bell ross, was below retail, a bit over $4k

i have big wrists so it really doenst look that big on my wrist, really havent gotten that many comments from people....

and percy, thats a classic watch, i still need to get a rolex....but everytime i think about buying one, something else catches my eye....one of these days

actually bought my wife a rolex for valentine's day so she actually got a rolex before i did

0802tank0001ta4.jpg

that watch is beautiful. why would you ever put it in storage?

I see lots of worn watches on watches forum, some have really thin wrist and can wear 45,5mm Omega Seamaster with no problem, and it's not shocking. I myself have a 41mm seiko diver and a thin wrist, and even if at the beggining i found it sort of big, I know find it more than normal and could wear even bigger.

Still, there's this cheaper flieger watch, from archimede, which is a fine watch assembler, with good finish and stuff... It's 39mm, so not too big.

http://www.archimede-uhren.de/US/Watches/79M19-a11.htm

79M19-a11-15.jpg

There btw also those models for thin wrist:

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/Aristo5h37.html

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/Ollech&WajsWristWatchAll.html

Sorry for your wallet.

0802tank0001ta4.jpg

My dad just recently gave me his cartier 18K gold tank too...i love vintage watches...anyway, i think i need to replace the band though...any good suggestions? i'm thinking of getting just plain black alligator strap like what my santos 100 has...just plain and simple...

i'm not nuts about the strap (could lose the rivet-like things), but that's a really cool watch for the price. how's the build quality?

Those are great watches for the price of course ! Not keen on the strap either, but i'd change it anyway if I had one. I don't own one of them, but could try an Archimede once, and the build quality is really surprising.

looking at your watch gary, did you replace the hands as well...they dont seem to match the overall aesthetic of the watch.......

i sent it back to cartier for maintenance, and to replace the face (which was slightly stained) and strap. the hands are original!

to josephr :

i had put it into my safe deposit box about 3 years ago when i was moving... totally forgot about it!

i sent it back to cartier for maintenance, and to replace the face (which was slightly stained) and strap. the hands are original!

to josephr :

i had put it into my safe deposit box about 3 years ago when i was moving... totally forgot about it!

i had an unfortunate image in my mind of that tank in a shoebox in some storage unit off the highway or something. thanks for putting that to rest.

couldn't find any other pics of this watch besides ebay. i'm into it. thoughts?

04_1.JPG

sycamore,

i don't think you should get it. i mean it's not bad looking or anything, but you should just save up and get a watch that you could pass on to your kids and shit. buying a fashion brand watch of this calibre is something we have all thought about and done (some of us). i rememeber when i was young and bought a 40,000yen watch from paul smith. at the time i thought it was cool, but i would never wear it now...and i soon stopped after like a couple months. you might be thinking in budget terms, or with your wallet. just save up or take out a mini-loan and buy something timeless that you'd really want. besides the big fashion heritage houses, brands like this really don't have much clout as far as the timepiece industry goes (and in most cases the movements aren't great). alot product, maybe this partiuclar watch i assume, are just to move units and make a buck.

too me, you either gotta go all out and or go super cheap (then you can front like you b nonchalant and don't give a fuck), for a nice watch that is.

if you are actually a balla and just want to use to use this for racketball, the gym or to ride you bike, then by all means get it.

Well said jmatsu.

Buying a $400 watch (that's the price i saw) that cost basically $10 or less to produce with cheap quartz movement, and that you won't like anymore in 2 month being impossible to resell is not a wise choice (unless you don't care about $400). If it was under $75, why not, but $400...

There are lots of watches for that price or even less with a good value for the price, that you won't regret buying after 2 months. Or you can invest in a real watch, that you'll keep as long as you like it and service it sometime, that is a way wiser investment.

But hum... do what you want with your money, it's yours after all ;) !