lets talk watches

poopie boy

Thanks but the selection for Orient USA is limited compared to the Japan's. I guess finding the basic simple matte black watch for <200 is harder than I thought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEIKO-SNN237-SNN237P1-All-Black-Chrono-100m-Free-Ship-/120765807613?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item1c1e33fbfd#ht_2946wt_1185

trying to build up my non-existent knowledge base on watches to narrow down my choice for a reasonably big purchase this year! :D

so far i've only got a few criterias figured out:

- bracelet that's not too busy/chainy (while leather is nice, i cbf replacing etc), silver shade. nooooo gold

- 30-35mm (at 5'4" and reasonably large bones for a female, i can't really go any smaller/larger. 25mm would be a smidge small i think)

- mechanical automatic

- light coloured face

- classic style. i just can't afford to buy something that'll fall out of fashion in a few years.

- budget of about US$2k.

any other features i should be aware of to further narrow down my selection?

Preference for numerals or date, the latter being tricky in a ladies watch.

I personally like the look of a straight-across, square case that integrates its edge into the bracelet in ladies watches, but that might not be your look. You have allotted a serious budget, I would simply advise you to take your time to consider, and get something quality and not made by a fashion house.

trying to build up my non-existent knowledge base on watches to narrow down my choice for a reasonably big purchase this year! :D

- bracelet that's not too busy/chainy (while leather is nice, i cbf replacing etc), silver shade. nooooo gold

- 30-35mm (at 5'4" and reasonably large bones for a female, i can't really go any smaller/larger. 25mm would be a smidge small i think)

- mechanical automatic

- light coloured face

- classic style. i just can't afford to buy something that'll fall out of fashion in a few years.

- budget of about US$2k.

vintage rolex air king would work great. on the bigger side of your range at 34mm but i think they look great worn a bit loose on girls.

something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flawless-Ladies-Rolex-Air-King-NO-RESERVE-/140600878011?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item20bc7723bb

vintage rolex air king would work great. on the bigger side of your range at 34mm but i think they look great worn a bit loose on girls.

something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flawless-Ladies-Rolex-Air-King-NO-RESERVE-/140600878011?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item20bc7723bb

+1, there should be a lot of vintage womens sized Rolexes out there for that price. Air-Kings are a good choice for what you want.

- mechanical automatic

- light coloured face

- budget of about US$2k.

you might be able to get a used Jaeger LeCoultre women's Reverso as well, come to think of it. They don't really look nice on bracelets, far better on leather, but used ones can sometimes dip to about $2K, maybe a little more, and they satisfy all your other requirements, and they're like the kinda watch you just keep forever. Don't think of it an asset at that price, think of it as a nice souvenir you can keep handing down maybe.

I think the Reverso might be embarking on some sort of small hot streak in the western world again actually, seems like they're popping up rather frequently lately. Nicer watch than your average Rolex.

Guest Trophy Husband
tried this on a few weeks ago and it definitely looks better in person than the rolex stock photos (and yours). i have the 50th anny kermit and am considering adding this to my collection. much more muted than i expected.

nice pick up and decent collection!

Ya, it is definitely A LOT better looking in person. I was iffy about it from pictures, but once I tried that thing on... It was a must have. A lot more subtle then most would think too.

trophy husband = FAM0US or no?

Yezzzzir. :cool:

you might be able to get a used Jaeger LeCoultre women's Reverso as well, come to think of it. They don't really look nice on bracelets, far better on leather, but used ones can sometimes dip to about $2K, maybe a little more, and they satisfy all your other requirements, and they're like the kinda watch you just keep forever. Don't think of it an asset at that price, think of it as a nice souvenir you can keep handing down maybe.

I think the Reverso might be embarking on some sort of small hot streak in the western world again actually, seems like they're popping up rather frequently lately. Nicer watch than your average Rolex.

jlc is probably my favorite house right now and the reverso one of my favorite designs from them. i missed out on a sincere edition some time back where the rdm was on the back so flipping the watch actually had a function. sigh..

Recommend me a dress watch with a white face with no numerals that will be worn with a tux / business formal dinners etc. Preferably a tonneau.

Budget is $500.

I don't know how often these show up used (not often, I'm pretty sure) but the Junghans Max Bill Auto would be good if you could find one cheaper than the $800 they go for new. You can wear it dressed up or down, nice watch, and unique too. I want to get one of these myself someday in the Chronoscope version.

http://www.allabouttime.net/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=027%2F3501.00

Recommend me a dress watch with a white face with no numerals that will be worn with a tux / business formal dinners etc. Preferably a tonneau.

Budget is $500.

Longines Classique tonneau would do the trick (baton markers, white face) but at nearly $800 is above-budget. You might keep an eye open for one on Timezone, Watchuseek, etc.

thanks a lot! the airking does seem very good. i found a local person selling a 2003 model for just under SGD3000, certified but no original box.

or a 1995 for SGD2500 without box/certs.

i think i'll have a longer think about it first, maybe visit a couple of second hand dealers to scout for other brands.