lets talk watches

poopie boy

the watch i wear is pretty simple, Rolex Sea Dweller, stainless steel strap, black face and no magnifying glass on the date.

I prefer the look of Rolex watches without the cyclops. i.e. SD, Explorer, Milgauss, non-date Sub & Daytona.

not feeling that Prada watch...in general i prefer watches from watchmakers. Which is why i didn't like any of Dior Homme's watches when every magazine was shoving 'em down our throats...

the watch i wear is pretty simple, Rolex Sea Dweller, stainless steel strap, black face and no magnifying glass on the date.

how long have you been back?

I'm looking at getting a vintage omega seamaster or something, leather strap...I wish I had 16k to blow on a patek philippe though

holy hell thats amazing, i think i just found my watch. but with black face. how much is it? CDN dollars. 3200? 3500? 4000?

If you look around you can get a fairly good price, maybe 2500-3000CDN

I seriously considered one but decided the Omega was a better deal for an everyday watch. I’m now saving for a Daytona.

Currently wear a Tag Monaco Chronograph everyday but am looking at Cartier tanks. Does anyone know the major difference between the Louis Tank and Solo Tank? I know the Louis is 18kt white gold and the Solo stainless steel but is the Louis worth paying 3X more for?

how long have you been back?

I'm looking at getting a vintage omega seamaster or something, leather strap...I wish I had 16k to blow on a patek philippe though

what's up BG, been back for like 2 days...

I like PP, very exquisite but does not suit my body type/style as much as a lot of them are smaller watches. I prefer sports watches, ones that are a bit larger and bulkier in general which is why the sea dweller works so well for me. Are you only looking for PP style watches? If you're on a budget, could never go wrong with a Panerai but that's like the opposite end of the spectrum of PP....

Call me cynical, but I think Panerais are hype. I think the Radiomir is a nice deco design, but I think it's incredibly overpriced thanks to intentionally tight distribution, artificially restrained production and lots of banter on timezone forums. They were using a generic ETA movement until recently.

I think a vintage Seamaster is a great choice, but if you have Calamatra tastes, I would be looking at Baume & Mercier and Frédérique Constant who produce dress watches in a similar aesthetic for Omega money. I'd also look at the aforementioned Germans.

Call me cynical, but I think Panerais are hype. I think the Radiomir is a nice deco design, but I think it's incredibly overpriced thanks to intentionally tight distribution, artificially restrained production and lots of banter on timezone forums. They were using a generic ETA movement until recently.

I think a vintage Seamaster is a great choice, but if you have Calamatra tastes, I would be looking at Baume & Mercier and Frédérique Constant who produce dress watches in a similar aesthetic for Omega money. I'd also look at the aforementioned Germans.

Oh, Panerais are most definitely hype.

But man, do they look good.

what are people's opinions on Bell & Ross? I don't hear much mention of it, maybe b/c their more well-known watches are those square bomb-proof looking numbers that look way too hardcore

but i came across their vintage series this past weekend...i didn't handle it, but it looked sweet, kinda similar to the tag carerra black strap automatic i had been planning to get for so long, but with some chronograph action, and a thicker case (i think). of course, its a tad more expensive than the tag...debating now whether to just cop the tag, or save up for the b&r. i feel like tag, because its a non-chrono and thus simpler, will be more versatile (can be worn with work attire), but then again, i never wear watches, so i am not well versed in watch rules/etiquette. opinions?

what are people's opinions on Bell & Ross? I don't hear much mention of it, maybe b/c their more well-known watches are those square bomb-proof looking numbers that look way too hardcore

but i came across their vintage series this past weekend...i didn't handle it, but it looked sweet, kinda similar to the tag carerra black strap automatic i had been planning to get for so long, but with some chronograph action, and a thicker case (i think). of course, its a tad more expensive than the tag...debating now whether to just cop the tag, or save up for the b&r. i feel like tag, because its a non-chrono and thus simpler, will be more versatile (can be worn with work attire), but then again, i never wear watches, so i am not well versed in watch rules/etiquette. opinions?

The Tag Carerra is a beautiful piece and I've eyed that for a while, I dont think you can go wrong with that watch. Not sure which Bell & Ross you are talking about but I have a Heuer Skipper and a Bell Ross Phantom and I definitely wear my BR more often, just cause it suits me. Really up to the individual cause no one should know your tastes and likes as much as you, unless you really want random people from the almighty internet to tell you how to spend your loot.

i chose the air king over the carrera. maybe its all in my head but something about having the air king seemed more worth-while. this carrera i was about to buy was the chrono however. it was a watch i wanted for a good 3-4 years too. but once i had it on my wrist and compared it to the air king i couldnt decide for a good 15 minutes or so.

that probably doesn't help, but im just saying it may be a gut thing. if you feel like the BR would be better suited, chances are it is better suited.

and vice versa obviously.

and on that note, now that i have the rolex i dont actually find myself looking at more expensive watches.

the next watch i want is a seiko 5 actually, which i would have probably had if it wasnt for the fact that they can only be purchased over seas.

Oh, Panerais are most definitely hype.

But man, do they look good.

Panerais have been incredibly successful by creating this cultish, exclusive brand, despite utilizing a rather common movement in most of their models in the 4-6K range. But most watch makers like IWC or Breitling, with the exception of Rolex, are also using modified ETA/Valjoux movements for watches within the same price band.

But Panerai is also starting to produce watches with their own in-house movement (with JLC and A. Lange & Sohne creating the mainstay and hairsprings) such as the caliber p.2002 or p.2003. These watches have 8 day or 10 day movements and incorporate numerous functional refinements, such as bi-directional winding.

If you've worn most automatic Panerais or even a IWC Chronograph (3706), you'll notice that the watch wobbles when the rotor is spinning really fast in the non-winding direction. Of course, this produces unnecessary wear on the parts and is not elegant as one would want in a well-made timepiece. The new bi-directional winding solves the "rotor wobbling" issue scene in most ETA/Valjoux 7750 movements. As you can imagine, an in-house movement with 8-10 day power reserves and various improvements pushes the price range to 12-15K, well into the early range of some APs, VC, JLCs.

The difference between Panerai and other brands is that you'll be hard pressed to find an authorized dealer that will offer any discount on Panerais. Maybe 5% if you are lucky or have an outstanding relationship with the dealer. On the other hand, if you're buying IWC or Breitling, then 25-30% is common and even expected with authorized dealers. Even more if going gray market with unauthorized dealers. The demand for Panerai is so strong that its even rare to find the model you are looking for in the store. Mostly, it's going to be a 6-9 month wait, even with OEM straps/buckles. This is my perspective from the Asia Pac region.

But I tend to agree with you. Despite the hype, aesthetically, they look amazing as an everyday sport watch, with a vintage feel. Once you get use to wearing 44mm, it's hard to go back to 38-39mm. Plus, when you change the strap on the Panerai, it completely remakes the watch. There is no better watch to wear with jeans and a t-shirt.

^^ If I remember correctly Sylvester Stallone has made name for Panerai quite alot. I was amused when watching the latest Rambo movie where this 60+ vietnam veteran living in the jungle in Thailand were rocking 5000$ watch... Nevertheless Stallone is cool, Panerai is cool and Rambo is the man!

I am thinking about picking up a 1970´s Rado purple horse since I want something vintage and decent looking with a steel bracelet, and I´m on a very tight budget.

I don´t know anything about watches, so I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any reason I shouldn´t get one?

It´s around $100 so maybe I shouldn´t expect much, but at the same time I don´t want to have to get it repaired all the time. Any help would be appreciated!

117799465tpce1.jpg

I have a B&r vintage 126 in black (See a few pages back for pics). definitely prefer it over any tag model, but one thing i recommend is finding one used....

I am thinking about picking up a 1970´s Rado purple horse since I want something vintage and decent looking with a steel bracelet, and I´m on a very tight budget.

I don´t know anything about watches, so I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any reason I shouldn´t get one?

It´s around $100 so maybe I shouldn´t expect much, but at the same time I don´t want to have to get it repaired all the time. Any help would be appreciated!

Keep in mind that it needs service every now and then even if its bought new (I assume its automatic). Anyways, Rado watches are very nice.

I am thinking of getting a modern-looking watch (simplicity mixed with some doses of creativity) ...and Rado seems to catch my eye. I know next to nothing about watch brands. So what i'm asking is: is it worth it? Is there any other brands that I should also look into?

I have this Rolex and I'm not sure if it's real. I got it several years ago as a gift so.. I'd like to know if there are Rolex experts on here that can tell the authenticity by only looking at the appearance. If anyone's interested in buying this, I'll go down to the Rolex store and get a written appraisal..

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

I have this Rolex and I'm not sure if it's real. I got it several years ago as a gift so.. I'd like to know if there are Rolex experts on here that can tell the authenticity by only looking at the appearance. If anyone's interested in buying this, I'll go down to the Rolex store and get a written appraisal..

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

"I'll go down to the Rolex store and get a written appraisal"..

You'd probably be better served asking the experts in regards to the authenticity of your watch.

BR Instrument Minuteur Tourbillion

br1ap6.jpg

Not sure if I like it. such audacity.

More scoops from Basel '08.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79

Ulysse Nardin Blue Seal Edition limitée. Amazing.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=130311

The Portugieser is nice.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=135197

Lacroix delivers.