lets talk watches

poopie boy

What watch do you think would be good if I am fairly young, (still in school), but want something that is classy, yet not buisnessy. 1,000 and under is the price range. Maybe a leather band instead of metal would be best? Any recommendations?

i'm re-bumping this post. but editing it for 1-2k range.

any reco's?

Look at Hamilton, Stowa, Oris, Glycine, Nomos, Sinn or even Seiko.

gnomonwatches.com , seiyajapan.com , timezone salecorner: http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=threadt&frm_id=32&rid=0

I would have loved giving you links, but I have some urgent work to do for school...

how are victorinox watches (for the money). i was interested in this one as something to hold me over until i can buy a more-legit one:

http://www.victorinoxswissarmy.com/index.cfm?site=victorinoxswissarmy.com&page=295〈=E&cnt_prm=ANY

victorinox are generally decent watches...nothing fancy...

but I've only had quartz versions in the past, cant speak too much about the automatic versions. how much is that one? i cant see a price...

victorinox are generally decent watches...nothing fancy...

but I've only had quartz versions in the past, cant speak too much about the automatic versions. how much is that one? i cant see a price...

I believe you can get that model on e-bay for between $150 - 200.

I always thought the chrono classic was a pretty nice looking watch for the price:

http://www.victorinoxswissarmy.com/index.cfm?site=victorinoxswissarmy.com&page=382〈=E&cnt_prm=ANY

If you don't mind having a knife brand on your watch, they're really decent, and a good value for the price. But it's somehow a tad bit inspirated for some models;...

If you don't mind having a knife brand on your watch, they're really decent, and a good value for the price. But it's somehow a tad bit inspirated for some models;...

i don't mind at all. it's more of a holdover piece; i'm not out to win any awards or impress anyone. i just want something that's good looking, functional and reasonably priced. eventually i'd like to buy a stowa marine. at this point in my life (25) i couldn't conceivably spend more money than that on a watch ($1200).

i'm re-bumping this post. but editing it for 1-2k range.

any reco's?

I like the Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic, with a black dial and black leather strap. The chronographs look considerably cooler, but this one has very classic, masculine styling without being boring and overpriced like some other brands. And it is in your price range. Here is a link to a pic: http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/movadobaby_1994_103542503

for that price, you cant really go wrong

never ever buy "designer" watches i.e. guess, fossil crap like that....

although i am looking at the dior chiffre rouge..though thats got decent guts

i dont think i'd ever buy a designer watch, low or high end (gucci, LV, chanel, etc). just doesn't make sense to me.

The next time I see someone wearing a $1000 outfit and checking for the time on his cell phone screen, I think I will vomit.

Timepieces are a dying breed, and if done correctly can really make some "next level shit".

Collecting watches is a serious hobby, but if you find the right one it will literally last a lifetime, or two, or three...

i dont think i'd ever buy a designer watch, low or high end (gucci, LV, chanel, etc). just doesn't make sense to me.

In case you were curious, yes, it is completely moronic to buy a 'designer watch'

There is a lot to learn about watches, as any mid-20s University-Drop-Out clerk at Tourneau's could tell you.

If you are willing to admit that you know nothing about watches, or are considering buying a watch from a brand that makes any product other than watches or has been in existence for less than 100 years, take a deep breath.

Obviously, you generally want a Swiss-Made watch. If you have some serious coin to drop, I'd suggest Jaeger-LeCoultre, Breguet, Cuervo y Sobrinos, Baume & Mercier to get you started. For a more reasonable price I'd suggest something along the lines of Tissot, Breitling, Tag Heuer, Omega.

Yes, a 20 dollar Timex will keep more accurate time (usually) than a $5000 automatic watch, because the Timex is Quartz. Quartz watches ARE MORE ACCURATE, but DO NOT HAVE THE FINE CRAFTSMANSHIP of a centuries old form of technology that pre-dates electricity.

Let me be clear: you are NOT paying for gold or gems when buying a premium watch, you are paying for the crafstmanship of the mechanism. Hence, I find Rolex, Jacobs, etc to be extremely tacky.

A few general tips that fashion-minded people who are looking at watches may find useful:

- Try a nice Leather / Gator band with even a cheaper watch, it'll be about $100 and is very cost effective, looks-wise

- Keep a tab on auctions. Some of the greatest deals can be found swiping a watch from a dead guy

- Patience. The more you shop around, visit a (real) watch store and tolerate the portly old man spouting for 45 minutes on the finer details of something you could care less about, the better off you will become. Also, high end watch orders can take up to 3 months to get to your door; these are definitely not impulse buys

my father actually collects and repairs old clocks and pocketwatches, not wristwatches, but anyhow, the idea is the same, the craftsmanship is indeed so important...

that's why I still prefer the hand winding watches over the automatics and quartz.

they might not be as accurate as quartz or automatics even, but they got so much more charm...

i don't mind at all. it's more of a holdover piece; i'm not out to win any awards or impress anyone. i just want something that's good looking, functional and reasonably priced. eventually i'd like to buy a stowa marine. at this point in my life (25) i couldn't conceivably spend more money than that on a watch ($1200).

The Dior is actually a pretty safe bet. With the seconds at 6 I believe it is using a modified Valjoux 7750, a staple amongst Swiss watchmakers. It is used from $5000 IWC Chronos to $1000 Hamiltons.

I think I have also heard that this movement is made by Zenith, or it may just be modifed by Zenith. Either way it is a solid movement in a very good looking chornograph.

Dior definitely did not fuck around with this watch. Mechanically speaking it is very sound, and on a differentl level then your Guess, or D&G.

This watch is also being discontinued and can be found at bargain basement prices. There was an event where this was available for $1600, about 50% off retail. I would have jumped had it not been for the fact that this is 32mm.

Basically, most if not all designer watches suck donkey dick, but every once in a while function succeeds in meeting design.

At around 2k, if you're willing to go with pre-owned, you can find very nice jaegers or omegas. It's typically a 30-40% reduction off retail, and you can sometimes find some really cool pieces.

Depends on what you like really, are you looking for something sporty (submariner-speedmaster style) or something more classic/formal?

In case you were curious, yes, it is completely moronic to buy a 'designer watch'

I disagree in certain cases. I think that purchasing a Dior, Chanel or LV is fine. As previously mentioned, Dior use Valjoux, Chanel have used Audemars Piguet, and LV watches are made by IWC.

I think they certainly have the craftmenship credentials, and they do have some unique designs. They don't have the history, but I don't think that makes someone a moron for buying one.

333an9u.jpg

amts0n.jpg

i've had this for a while. it was a gift from an old boss of mine. i recently added the ribbon strap and that warranted the small photo session.

sorry about all the noise.

that looks great

holy hell thats amazing, i think i just found my watch. but with black face. how much is it? CDN dollars. 3200? 3500? 4000?

man that's a nice watch. my mom has a similar model but with a rose colored face and of course, smaller since she's a woman. hers cost around $5000USD though...

Prada Solar Watch

pradawatch.jpg

Prada's latest limited edition timepiece houses a face that is carved from a photoelectric cell that needs only a small dose of sunlight to stay powered for a month. It even has a radio receiver (Unfortunately this only works in Europe) that will automatically adjust the time for you.

not feeling that Prada watch...in general i prefer watches from watchmakers. Which is why i didn't like any of Dior Homme's watches when every magazine was shoving 'em down our throats...

the watch i wear is pretty simple, Rolex Sea Dweller, stainless steel strap, black face and no magnifying glass on the date.