lets talk watches

poopie boy

It really depends, on your budget and on what you want. Maybe you can start with a watch that you may not pass onto sycamore generations ( and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to beggin with :D ) but to see if you like the concept and see what sort of watches you like or not. If you want to stay in the design watch, there's those seiko's:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3269/sbcsjul2007seikomovingdot2.jpg

and some fine seiko here too : (you can btw ask the seller any seiko model, he may finds it)

http://www.seiyajapan.com/category/1_mechanical/

Tell us what you like/want (timeless, classic, design, technical...) and your budget :) !

I want something B.A.L.L.A. and am willing to spend up to a grand but don't quite know if thats B.A.L.L.A. enough. D: This is going to be my first real watch that I am buying. All other watches I have had were ones that were passed down to me from family members etc so I'm going to want it to be something that would last quite awhile.

I like leather straps though! Maybe something with a black face perhaps?

1. Buy a Citizen Nighthawk

2. Save up until I can afford a vintage rolex

3. Save up until I can afford a piece from the greater watch houses (patek, lange, etc)

I personally wouldn't pay to get a watch in between any of those "levels."

If you're going to drop 400 then wait to save around 1-2k and pick up a vintage rolex

Issey Miyake is actually a company brand of Seiko. Most mvmts are Seiko quartz. The watch in syc's pic is designed by Naoto Fukasawa. There are four designers (none by Issey) that make 7 lines within the brand. More info can be found here:

http://www.isseymiyake-watch.com/eg/index.html

Twelve 365 with blue crystal:

detail365_04.jpg

I find the Trapezoid design by Fukasawa appealing:

trapezoid.jpg

Or this Tokijin Yoshioka, TO:

to.jpg

I want something B.A.L.L.A. and am willing to spend up to a grand but don't quite know if thats B.A.L.L.A. enough. D: This is going to be my first real watch that I am buying. All other watches I have had were ones that were passed down to me from family members etc so I'm going to want it to be something that would last quite awhile.

I like leather straps though! Maybe something with a black face perhaps?

buy a vintage estate thunderbird rolex and change the strap...face ain't black though.

what kind of watches did you inherit? maybe you could sell one/some and finance a something you want.

IWC has some nice shit in black. even if it's a sports model with rubber straps they do have a great selection of interchangeable leather ones.

uuhhh...it was more of a show peice, but i thought that one n(n) for seiko watch was nice. it was black and had a skull protector peice. it wasn't mad expensive, nor was it cheap, but it was a good collector's item and reportedly runs well.

i mean it's not bad looking or anything, but you should just save up and get a watch that you could pass on to your kids and shit.

i am of the same mind.

i'm not sure (also don't care) how these watches are rated by the watch enthusiast types, but as a big max bill fan i've always loved his watches for junghans which are pretty cheap relatively-

027350000.jpg

027370200.jpg

and my favorite which i guess isn't made anymore-

junghanschronoscope.jpg

haha...no.

but there are those (most) who are dead set against/never going to save the money for a 3k+ watch. So it'll be form over function.

& frankly, for ~ 4 bills, you could do a lot worse at Macy's.

I myself am doing an about face & renewing my lust in swiss. Any persuasions in going toward the latest SS GMT-Master II w/ceramic bezel or IWC Mark XVI?

3255_001_l.jpg

new_rolex_gmt_master_ii.jpg

From my casual observations, The Issey Myake watch line is well regarded in industrial design circles. The Trapazoid, and Fukasawa, in particular gets lots of page space in books. As stated, they are well made by Seiko, and as far as art watches go, they get some credibility amoungst purists.

You'd need to drop well over ten large to get something B.A.L.L.A, so I'd give up on that idea for now.

You can still get a great watch for around one large. I'd be looking at the Germans like Stowa, Jurghans, Sinn et al.

b16.jpg

haha...no.

but there are those (most) who are dead set against/never going to save the money for a 3k+ watch. So it'll be form over function.

& frankly, for ~ 4 bills, you could do a lot worse at Macy's.

I myself am doing an about face & renewing my lust in swiss. Any persuasions in going toward the latest SS GMT-Master II w/ceramic bezel or IWC Mark XVI?

3255_001_l.jpg

new_rolex_gmt_master_ii.jpg

Depends on if you're looking for a sport watch or not. The Rolex is more versatile and the new GMT Master is a big improvement on the old GMT, in my opinion. I really like the ceramic dial. But, I also think Rolex is a bit overdone i.e., everyone has one - whether it's the black sub or an old oyster perpetual.

I would pick up the IWC, but I prefer the Mark XV, which just got discontinued before the Mark XVI came out. Exact same design but the case is around 2mm smaller and it comes on a deployant buffalo strap. I think the croc strap on the Mark XVI makes it just a little too dressy.

Hamilton is also in you price range. Have a look at the Jazz Master and some of the Kahki range. The X-Wind is popular. Well respected American company with history. Now owned and manufacturer by Swatch Group.

amen, I have a hamilton khaki field automatic and I love it. Super cheap on ebay too.

My biggest problem with the 'cheaper' seiko automatics is that the glass isn't sapphire. There is nothing I hate more than scratches on a watch face.

I really want a panerai eventually, but I don't know if I would be willing to drop that much cash on a watch.

i say you should buy the issey watch if thats the one you like. forget worrying about what you will be wearing 5/10 years down the line until you get there and hopefully have some excess cash to spend.

if you think about it too long you will just become obsessed and not happy with anything you see.

I sold my IWC 3706, and just picked up a IWC 3717 (should get here in the next two weeks). I just sent my Aquatimer to service, and since the 111 is at the deposit have no watch to wear.

In the interim I am thinking of picking up a Rolex. I was going to go with a Bell & Ross, but was thinking of doing a used Z series Seawweller for another grand. However, the new Explorer has my mind wandering again.

Any experience with either Explorer or Seadweller? An olive 03-92 is also an option, if the right deal comes along.

was thinking about getting this. 50573F87-98CD-2EFE-9988767788A81E80.jpg

Thoughts?

rolex is more known for their sports watches, the cellini is a newer line and i think a lot of them are quartz. for the money i saw a great SS case/leather band IWC dress watch for under 2k.

That Cellini is nice, but like DD said it'll be hard to dress it down...

Wear that with a really casual outfit and risk looking like a hipster...

If you want a lower priced Rolex look into the Air-King, still very classic but at a lower price point, it's just too bad that not many RAD carry them..