lets talk watches

poopie boy

Vintage Air Kings are a great entry into the world of Rolex.. I used to have one from the 60's which i sold off last year to buy a Rega P2 (turntable).

I have a rolex sub now (passed down from my father) but it's stainless and gold and I really wanna try and find either a vintage all stainless air king or maybe a vintage datejust.

Something more understated I guess.

if you're wearing a sub i can see how you'd want to size down. the extra 2mm isn't that big a deal on the case, it's the bracelet that can look strangely wimpy on the clasp side unless you're a smaller guy.

I'm into horology, my current fav: (you can click on the image for a few more pictures)

R.X.W. MM20

64987977_1a56fb30e5.jpg

what's that? i love it! how come its so close to a panerai? replica?

whats the price range? any infos??

I'm pretty sure this is a watch made by Ken Tradings in homage to a Panerai watch made for the Italian Navy in the 1930's and could be had for aound $1000-$2000. Some argue it surpassed the Panerai "fiddy" in quality. Panerai sued and Ken Tradings quite making it. You can supposedly find replicas of this watch with a Russian replica Unitas mov. for around $200.

It's all very confusing and I know shit about watches, but there you have it.

AYN posted a MM20. And it is indeed from Ken's Trading, or RXW (which roughly translate to "really strong"). Panerai owns the copyright to the crown guard, and subsequently RXW ceased production.

RXW also offered the MM10, which was smaller and did not have the crown guard.

When the watch was released you could have found it for under 1000. Through the years the value of the watch has increased, which is pretty rare for a watch that intially cost under 1000. You can find them on timezone of bigwatchforum anywhere between 1400-2000, depending on the condition.

The quality is amazing, and you get a heck of a deal. Recently a large quantity of new old stock was discovered in Asia (namely Singapore) and the watch was easily obtainable for around 1400 in brand new condition.

i know by looking on ebay i'm subjecting myself to a ton of fakes, but does anyone know how to tell a real Casio G-shock from a fake? not that a knock-off of a >$150 watch is going to be that disappointing... i'd just want a legit watch.

the one in question -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Casio-G-Shock-Digital-Watch-Green-DW56RTB-DW-56RTB-3_W0QQitemZ120212834161QQihZ002QQcategoryZ111652QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm looking for a watch as a present for my 18th birthday in a month

price range about £250 (around $500) or under

I like the look of the old dpmhi x know1edge watch but i can't get it anywhere.

and ideas if anyone knows where i could get one new?

pic:

mhisa9.jpg

if not, any advice on watches similar to the watch above or

MONTNIXCANWHP.jpg and nxw182_FULL.jpg

I'm looking for a watch as a present for my 18th birthday in a month

price range about £250 (around $500) or under

I like the look of the old dpmhi x know1edge watch but i can't get it anywhere.

and ideas if anyone knows where i could get one new?

pic:

mhisa9.jpg

if not, any advice on watches similar to the watch above or

MONTNIXCANWHP.jpg and nxw182_FULL.jpg

Please do not get the Knowledge watches. They use a piece of crap movement that will crap out on you after a year or two. The cost to service something like that will exceed the cost of the watch. If you want something that could achieve that historic Panerai look just PM me. I will send you some information and dealers that can make a custom watch with genuine swiss 6497 movements (hand wind, not automatic, but close to geniune movements used by Panerai).

Nixon on the other hand is a good choice for someone your age. It is a solid watch and tells great time. It is a quartz movement and batteries are always very reliable. You can check on Ebay for the Nixon, as they are not popular enough to be replicated (although I am sure they do exist).

You can get a pretty accurate homage piece from anywhere between 300-500. Homage piece would eseentially have the crown guard, but no mention of panerai, or luminor on the dial. It would have a "marina militare" on the dial, which means "navy". It would house a manual wind 6497-1 (panerai uses 6497-2, swan neck regulator, and decorates the bridges), which is a very solid movement.

You could get it as a 44mm, or a 47mm. Ayn showed a very well made homage that is now unobtainable at retail stores (only secondary markets, and at a premium). Ayn's particular model is highly sought after and serves as a great diving tool. The homage piece I am speaking of is not suggested for diving. Showers and swimming should be ok.

What makes panerai, and the homage pieces, so interesting is the number of looks you can achieve by changing the strap. Plus, the size of these watchs are big. They looks pretty beefy up against any other watch.

At the $300 range I would recommend the Citizen Nighthawk (black looks great). I had that watch for a while before giving it to my cousin. I got it for under $200 a few years ago off of ebay. It kept great time, and since it was powered by Citizen's Eco drive I never had to a battery change.

Seiko 5 Sports is a great series you should consider. They have a sporty look and use a very good Seiko automatic movement. Again, I would recommend getting this from Ebay. This was made primarily for Asian markets, and the prices on Ebay are very competitve and come from reliable sellers.

Hamilton Khaki X Wind (or cross wind) is another beefy watch that has a solid movement and is relatively inexpensive (600-700, but you get a automatic swiss movement). In fact the entire Khaki line-up from Hamilton is pretty solid. The Field is less expensive. Hamilton has a rich history and their design and quality control has improved significantly. Again, check ebay as these watches are not popular enough to be replicated and reputable dealers all sell on ebay.

RXW still makes watches and you can get a Plasmir Milgraph anywhere between 800-1200, depending on whether you go for the manul or automatic. Both have chrono functions.

If you do decide on getting an homage piece shoot over a PM and I will give you the emails of some custom watch makers in Asia.

Good luck.

BTW I would say you should avoid entry level quartzs from the like of Tag, Movado, etc, unless you really like the design or get a great deal. You are better of saving your money and buying something that would retain it's value.

Casio G-Shocks are pretty inexpensive, and that price seems right. If you were in Asia you could get that model easily for 50 bones. It could just be because it was from the previous season.

i know by looking on ebay i'm subjecting myself to a ton of fakes, but does anyone know how to tell a real Casio G-shock from a fake? not that a knock-off of a >$150 watch is going to be that disappointing... i'd just want a legit watch.

the one in question -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Casio-G-Shock-Digital-Watch-Green-DW56RTB-DW-56RTB-3_W0QQitemZ120212834161QQihZ002QQcategoryZ111652QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I like this watch. How difficult is it to read time in normal light? Tone on tone, but still seems like a bitch to read.

Anyway, always loved B&R designs...don't know anything about the mvmt...any info?

havent had too much trouble reading the time yet. need to check out the hands in the dark and if they erally glow.

the movement is a ETA 2892

the Phantom. Very nice, Dunkin. I was thinking about the Special Edition Olive when I get my tax return.

thanks

I was looking at the olive one as well but i've wanted the phantom since i saw pics of it

really want the tourbillon as well, but that just a little bit out of my price range.......

At the $300 range I would recommend the Citizen Nighthawk (black looks great). I had that watch for a while before giving it to my cousin. I got it for under $200 a few years ago off of ebay. It kept great time, and since it was powered by Citizen's Eco drive I never had to a battery change.

man speaks da truf. Nighthawks are well made and reliable. Should last you until you decide to take a jump to lower end rolexes/brietling/omega.

I've been looking for decent OEM straps in Thailand for a while and every authorized dealer says the waiting period is between 6-8 months. Also, forget about finding any Pre-vendome straps and buckles in Bangkok.

I found an awesome authorized dealer in Ginza, while taking some PTO in Tokyo, with a case full of brand new OEM straps. Picked up the light brown calfskin for the PAM 164. Unfortunately, it's still on deployant, since old school-style buckles are once again not available.

DSC00974.jpg