lets talk watches

poopie boy

Bras Basah is selling it for S$239 (~160us) but I distinctly remember being quoted 129sgd( 85us) for it at Mustafa Centre. They were sold out when I went a few days ago. I'm gonna check back or try ebay.

saw the same citizen ana digi temp at mustafa during Christmas time. only had the gold ones left though. you know there are sort of 2 mustafas right? maybe you were looking at the wrong branch. anyways, i grabbed an old school casio calculator watch instead. cheap and real retro.

Yardsale, that watch is beautiful..

I'm getting another watch next month, originally i was going for another vintage Rolex, but i've changed my mind.. I'm getting a Seiko Grand now.

It's odd spendind $4K to $8K on a watch that says "SEIKO" on the face...

But at the same time, anybody that knows something about watches will know that the SG line is on par, and some will argue that it's better, than the best watch labels from Europe.

But at the same time, anybody that knows something about watches will know that the SG line is on par, and some will argue that it's better, than the best watch labels from Europe.

what influenced your decision toward the SG?

Grand Seiko.

I've owned a Rolex GMT-Master II & an Omega Speedmaster for the past 15 years. However, in the last several years, I've discovered the merits of Japanese engineering & craftsmanship in their horology.

This culminated in the purchase of the SBDB001, or aka the 600m Spring Drive Marinemaster about a year ago. I've been so impressed with this watch that I'll pick up either the Izul Spring Drive (SDAA001) or the Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT Chronograph (SBGC001) this year.

While I'm still awestruck with craftsmanship & design from Patek, VC, Panerai, AL&S, and GP, once I get the Izul or SD GMT Chrono, I'll be set for life. I find the perfection in these Seikos adequate at approx. $7-9k vs. the $10k + more that the Swiss marks command.

In the past year of wearing my 600m SD every day, the watch has gained a total of 7 seconds...or less than 1 sec/month. And the absolutely smooth sweep of the second hand is hypnotic to watch.

So I've been surprised not to see more sufu names migrate to the Seiko watch forums over the years given the affinity for Japanese craftsmanship...although if you do, the vernacular is less robust than used here. "Cop", "no homo", et al might draw some furrowed brows.

For those interested...here are the names to know for forums:

TimeZone (Seiko forum)

SCWF

Watchuseek (Seiko forum)

And the two names that you'll need to know in pursuit of the hyperstrike Seikos (not sold in the US/mainly sold in Japan/Japanese domestic market/JDM) are Seiyajapan.com and Higuchi-inc.com. I've used both and in sufu terms, they've got e-peens to spare.

Finally, one doesn't need to spend $3k and upward to enjoy a very good watch, rivalling Swiss watches many times the price. If your budget is limited to $300-400, the Seiko Spirit line (6r15b auto movement) is an enormous value and sharply designed in the minimalist fashion that seems to be approved en masse here.

For example, the SCVS013 has a hackable, 23 jewel MIJ auto movement, sapphire crystal, skeleton case back, and for the Alden crowd, a black cordovan strap. Really don't think you can do better for $294 shipped.

Seriously, think in terms of the Japanese & their western counterparts. All the denim, Buzz Rickson, Loopwheeler, Acura/Lexus, etc. The distinction of JDM/mij Seikos (and even the Citizens/Campanola/Chronomaster and the $2-3k Casio MR-Gs) are on an even higher order, with a price point not fully matured.

what influenced your decision toward the SG?

Well, i've already got a Rolex, Zenith, and a Dior Homme (made by Zenith)...

And i was going for another Rolex, but on my last trip to Japan i saw the SG line and was blown away at the design, and looking at the watch through a loupe made me almos faint.

The line gives the European designers a serious run for their money..

Well, i've already got a Rolex, Zenith, and a Dior Homme (made by Zenith)...

And i was going for another Rolex, but on my last trip to Japan i saw the SG line and was blown away at the design, and looking at the watch through a loupe made me almos faint.

The line gives the European designers a serious run for their money..

i am looking around and only see seiko grand watches with oyster case designs, are there others? or is it the movement that is most attractive?

It depends on the price point. For under 10k a japanese watch might be a good buy but I don't think they can compete with the swiss brands in general. Personally i'd rather save the 10k toward a swiss timepiece...in my opinion the history, craftsmanship and materials offered by the swiss (german) houses blow everyone else out of the water.

It depends on the price point. For under 10k a japanese watch might be a good buy but I don't think they can compete with the swiss brands in general. Personally i'd rather save the 10k toward a swiss timepiece...in my opinion the history, craftsmanship and materials offered by the swiss (german) houses blow everyone else out of the water.

i just wear the same steel datejust every day so these are kind of interesting to me. the seiko with the cordovan strap mentioned looks nice all around for pretty cheap.

styling on most watches is too crazy for my tastes. i like the calatrava but i think maybe that's it for patek even. i love the oysters (not the new ones with larger cases) because they are so reductive. my grandfather has this crazy 70s gold square shaped omega for daily wear that terrifies me.

Yardsale, that watch is beautiful..

I'm getting another watch next month, originally i was going for another vintage Rolex, but i've changed my mind.. I'm getting a Seiko Grand now.

I concur. Seiko Grands are amazing as far as craftsmanship goes.

this is the watch that got me back into vintage chronos, 130 bucks :D

6138-3.jpg

I wore an inherited rolly seadweller everyday for the last 3 years or so, but I chucked it in a drawer after learning the history behind the piece.

I've been wearing this Casio G-511 for the last week mostly because I've been missing something on my wrist, but it isn't really my cup of tea. Thought the seadweller was a big thick on my tiny 6" wrists, but this one takes the cake.

img10231675445nk6.jpg

I'm looking for something to replace the seadweller as my everyday watch. Looking at a speedy reduced (the only chrono I've ever really liked, and I prefer the smaller dial) or maybe an IWC Mark, which is more of what I prefer in terms of style.

any input on something <$2k, however? At least until my eye catches something I really like

does anyone own an "orient" watch?

they have alot of designs and are super cheap. i've seen them sold all over japland. never inquired about them. anyone have any info?

Orient - While I was in Japan and Taiwan I saw a bunch of Orient watches, and prices ranged from the hundreds, to the thousands. They are a relatively large manufacturer of quartz and automatic movements. I guess you can say they are right behind Citizen and Seiko. I would not discount a Japanese movement, and would say that a Orient watch will be a nice investment.

Citizen Camponela - Some of the most beautiful dials I have ever seen. They don't sell in the US, but while I was in Japan I was amazed at the craftsmanship.

I just got an IWC Aquatimer Chronograph and may take some pictures later. Sold my IWC Fleigerchrono 3706 recently, and have to say that under 40mm chronographs do not hold their value. Next up will be a white face Panerai (manual wind), either 010D, 114, or 113.

Nice talking watches with everyone on the board.

Orient - While I was in Japan and Taiwan I saw a bunch of Orient watches, and prices ranged from the hundreds, to the thousands. They are a relatively large manufacturer of quartz and automatic movements. I guess you can say they are right behind Citizen and Seiko. I would not discount a Japanese movement, and would say that a Orient watch will be a nice investment.

quote]

every random orient model i saw was super cheap. i didn't know that they went up to the thousands....

where in japan can i view some higher priced ones? thanks!

Try the Orient Star Royal line. They are not sold in the US, but in Japan and most of Asia they are widely available. Retail is around a thousand, and there are limited editions that can make them a little more.

Some have said the quality rivals the Seiko Grand. I think with your knowledge of Japan (namely Tokyo) you can procure one with a substantial discount.

BTW I cannot tell your exactly where I saw the watches I was in Japan only for a few days and have no recollection of street names, however Orient seemed widely available.

However, you are correct that most Orients retail for much, much less.

Try the Orient Star Royal line. They are not sold in the US, but in Japan and most of Asia they are widely available. Retail is around a thousand, and there are limited editions that can make them a little more.

Some have said the quality rivals the Seiko Grand. I think with your knowledge of Japan (namely Tokyo) you can procure one with a substantial discount.

BTW I cannot tell your exactly where I saw the watches I was in Japan only for a few days and have no recollection of street names, however Orient seemed widely available.

However, you are correct that most Orients retail for much, much less.

i saw them in a couple places. the most common one in shibuya g. boeki store. they were all cheap. never seen the orient star royal line. will look. thanks. don't think i would buy one for a grand though...

thanks again.

For example, the SCVS013 has a hackable, 23 jewel MIJ auto movement, sapphire crystal, skeleton case back, and for the Alden crowd, a black cordovan strap. Really don't think you can do better for $294 shipped.

Absolutely. I cannot recommend the Seiko Spirit line enough. I own an SCVS013 and just for example, in the past week, it has gained 4 seconds. That kind of accuracy is hard to beat, ESPECIALLY at the $300 price point. Though I didn't really like the Cordovan strap, I ended up replacing it with a leather aviator and ss butterfly clasp.

I'd still take a Blancpain/similar swiss watch over a seiko anyday...same price point too.

Anyway, thought i'd post these FP journe models up. My first reaction was wtf but the more I look at em the more I like them.

jpic1bl0.jpg

tourbillonsouveraindx9.jpg

this is a nice time piece, but they seem alittle restrictive in terms of wardrobe.

i think they would go great with a mature and formal ensemble, but not with a more casual one.

Looking at one of these as my next big purchase...

965_image.jpg

vintage air kings are pretty nice but the 34mm case and the smaller band are too small on my wrist. i'd like to get a pie pan datejust sometime