lets talk watches

poopie boy

I've been seriously considering getting a new watch recently. My budget is around 15K-25K, max 30K.

I think I've narrowed it down to Audemars Piguet or A. Lange & Sohne in terms of design and size. Anybody have any opinions on these two makers...?

Watches I'm considering...

I really like this one from AP:

ap34.jpg

ap31_4.jpg

lan20_a.jpg

lan31_97.jpg

Please get A. Lange, those watches are unreal. Each one is hand made. If you dont want a A. Lange, get a vasheron, hublot big bang, or a IWC perpertual motion watch or if you want to spend the money get a Patek Phillipe.

question: would any of you ever consider rocking a HQ fake panerai? or is that just a little too BS?

http://www.perfectclones88.com/panerai-c-35.html

http://www.ttwristwatch.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=37

I've been seriously considering getting a new watch recently. My budget is around 1.5-2M, max 6M.

I think I've narrowed it down to Vacheron Constantin or Patek Phillipe in terms of design and size. Anybody have any opinions on these two makers...? they any good?

Watches I'm considering...

VC Tour de I'lle complication

vacheronconstantintourdeille-1.jpg

PP Graves supercomplication

patekphillipegravessupercomplica-1.jpg

I posted this in the small questions thread but no one answered

Im looking for a new watch since i lost my old one. Something within the $200 +/- $50 range. I don't need anything too extravagant, preferably a leather band. Any suggestions? Thanks.

was suppose to get a pam05 over in hk but they have no stock and i have to wait till septembet to get one.. what do you guys think about a rolex submariner stainless steel?

my advice here if you decide to get a watch over $500 is get something you love and have always wanted. get the one that beams at you when you see it on others or on yourself if you've tried it on. the one that you love so much you don't care how much people tell you its ugly or that you could have bought something that does the samething for $5 at walmart. don't settle bc in the end you'll just be unhappy.

i've always wanted a Cartier Santos (not the 100 version, too big for my wrist), but really wanted a swiss quality watch quickly so i bought a Tag Heuer that i thought i liked and thought might fulfill that desire to own a nice watch in the mean time that i was saving for the Santos. nope, it didn't. i had it for a while, decided it was stupid to waste my money, and sold it off quick, before it had time to depreciate - which by the way Tags depreciate pretty quickly. i ended up only losing about $100 and i'm almost on my way to being able to afford my Santos.

sure, there are some cool watches i like out there like this one Max Bill designed Bahaus chronograph, the Dior Homme Chiffre Rouge line (which by the way could be a good investment since they were designed by Slimane and the movements are actually substantial, quality Zenith produced movements), Rolex Datejust and Submariner, Zenith Class Elite, Panerai Luminor, Cartier Tank Francaise and Pasha, Omega Speedy. i've oohed and awed at a Lange & Sohne i stopped a guy for at the mall (cmon, someone who has a L&S knows exactly what they have and is probably a watch enthusiast who loves talking about their collection, what did i have to lose?). sure there are watches out there that are a better bang for your buck in this market - BUT, i'll never be completely happy unless i get the one that stops me in my tracks everytime - the Santos Galbee

b8ff1fn6.jpg

question: would any of you ever consider rocking a HQ fake panerai? or is that just a little too BS?

http://www.perfectclones88.com/panerai-c-35.html

http://www.ttwristwatch.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=37

i might, bc at times i can't justify paying $4k for a watch that can only work in casual situations

then the dignity kicks in and says 'if you wear a fake watch, what does that say about you, cuz you're not a fake person'

also the economical side kicks in and says 'well, if you were to buy a real Panerai at least you could sell it off for what you paid for it or more, since they hold their value extremely well' - if you buy a good fake you lose that $200 you bought it for bc fat chance if someone was to buy it resale from you.

lowrey wears one, and i couldn't tell from the pics that it was fake - i mean it is a pretty easy design to copy and where i work i see Panerais all the time. i also see a lot of Cartiers but the design is a little more involved and i can spot a fake one really easily.

was suppose to get a pam05 over in hk but they have no stock and i have to wait till septembet to get one.. what do you guys think about a rolex submariner stainless steel?

Subs are just classic watches with a sporty touch from the Rolex line. You really can't go wrong with the Subs unless you want size and attention, go for the Pam.

I think in the long run, a Sub might be more practical - anything within a 44mm range might be just too big and overbearing. Sure, larger faced watches and changing bands might be a fun thing to do, but in the long run, you want something classic and in terms of durability, Rolexes are quite tough and can take a beating.

I still want the Pam219 (lefty) but I also want an IWC Pilots Chrono too.

they have that pilots chrono in iwc hongkong for around the same price as a submariner.. sub goes for around 36k hk dollars while that goes for 37k hk dollars..

subs are pretty posh - one of the few black dialed watches i really like. you can get some later produced ones for as low as 3800 on enthusiast forums if you do your research.

i unfortunately have skinny ass wrists and the sub looks like a huge metal bubble protruding from my wrist

lots of brands are better than rolex actually. rolex just has amazing marketing strategies - like periodic unannounced price increases, never producing more than they can sell and keeping extremely tight control over distribution to minimize discounting.

rolex is pricier and more desirable bc of the above and because they produce and manufacture almost every part of their watches. many other brands buy their movements from movement manufacturers or they have specially made ones produced for them. cartier and omega do both but they are tuned and finished to the brands likings. they are either made by ETA or Unitas usually.

i also think part of the appeal of rolex is bc its a rolex. they are the watch you grandpa wore and even back then they were hot. they have an old world quality to them that is desirable. the designs have literally remained unchanged with a few mods everynow and then but they come very slowly. comparable brands like omega have some designs that have remained unchanged but they also have a lot of designs that have come and gone. rolex is notorious for being slow to change with technology but when they finally do they usually do it better or just as good as everyone else.

for example omega's co-axial movement is being touted as more accurate and needing less maintenance/tuneups (every 10 years as opposed to 4 or 5, and its usually $400-500 each time), but rolex's brand recognition and rep tramples over omega.

As sbbjm has already said rolex is great at marketing. in fact most of watch brands all use the same movement. the valjoux 7750 is found from the high a 6k IWC 3171 to a 1.5k Tag Heuer Carrera Chronograph.

You are paying for the prestige attached to the watch, not for the movement itself.

Here is how I break down the watches.

Top Tier: I would say Patek, A. Lange, and a handful of brands no one has heard of.

Upper Mid: Hublot (Big Bang, and nothing else), Audimier Preiguet, IWC, Rolex, Panerai

Mid: Omega, Breitling, IWC Pilot, Aquatimer, and Portuguese series, and Historic PAMs

Lower Mid: Tag Heuer, Longines

i liked my swatch skin watch. It was so nice, cause it was like i didnt have anything on my wrist at all. the battery died so i stopped wearing it tho. now im watchless

Citizen Nighthawk is the watch I recommend for every college kid. Pick it up on ebay for about 2 bills and it will last you a lifetime. great watch.

Yeah, my grandfathers a pilot and has about 10-12 of the citizen promasters/hawks and he loves them... especially the Blue Angel Navi Hawk