lets talk watches

poopie boy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the market for a new watch. My price range is about 1G~2G, a little bit more if I need to. I have never been into watches and basically the only brands I know are Rolex, Tag, Casio, Swatch and nothing else really.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to fashion in every sense but Breitling watches are so sexy right now...

So my question is are Breitling watches really worth the price? Or can you guys recommend me a minimalist simple watch?

Thanks.

I'm in the market for a new watch. My price range is about 1G~2G, a little bit more if I need to. I have never been into watches and basically the only brands I know are Rolex, Tag, Casio, Swatch and nothing else really.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to fashion in every sense but Breitling watches are so sexy right now...

So my question is are Breitling watches really worth the price? Or can you guys recommend me a minimalist simple watch?

Thanks.

Watches are a matter of taste. I'm not the biggest fan of Breitling but have friends that love the aviation-based history of the watch. There's a huge range of prices for the watch. On the plus side, they are still an affordable watch (aside from some of the limited edition Bentley models), right before you get into the next tier of watches with in-house movements and such.

If you're looking for a classic, minimal watch that is well-made and has history, check out IWC. Within your price range, there's the Pilot Mark XV with a deployant buffalo strap. IWC recently remodeled it, but if you can find the classic (not spitfire) it may be what you're looking for. Tom Cruise wore this exact watch in Vanilla Sky in the opening scene. If you can find one they right around 2K from an authorized dealer.

I would avoid Tag, Omega, Rado, Gucci etc. aka the watches you can basically buy in airport dutyfree.

• 1 month later...

BUMP

so i'm joining the work force and need a watch that doesn't look like a part of steven hawking's wheelchair. basically, i'm looking for a watch that something a depression-era banker would wear to make sure he's not late for his meeting with boss tweed. something like this:

414MNxrjtTL._SS500_.jpg

just not dkny. i want a starter watch that's not a piece of crap, for less than say $300-400? any advice?

Definitely not in the $300-400 range, but I just had to post this Stowa I found on Ebay. A WWII Luftwaffe Pilot's watch restored pristine mechanical (but not cosmetic, apparently) condition by a horologist.

61v8db6.jpg

eaef0gv4.jpg

eb170at5.jpg

ebb50ud8.jpg

Link to the auction

argh, that's pretty fuckin beautiful.

Depending on your wrist size I suggest an unbranded PAM. No Panerai markings but the same 6497-1 Swiss Eta movement as the PAM Historic line.

Little less then $400, and will definitely last a good while.

England has a good point regarding Victorinox. And if you want something along those lines i suggest looking into Hamilton, the Khaki collection is a nice simple collection to be had at the price range. Check Ebay, Hamilton is not popular enough to be faked.

BUMP

so i'm joining the work force and need a watch that doesn't look like a part of steven hawking's wheelchair. basically, i'm looking for a watch that something a depression-era banker would wear to make sure he's not late for his meeting with boss tweed. something like this:

414MNxrjtTL._SS500_.jpg

just not dkny. i want a starter watch that's not a piece of crap, for less than say $300-400? any advice?

pictureuo6.jpg

All i have is this vintage accutron from 69 which i really like, but i like this thread as i'm looking into saving up for a sleeker more fashion oriented watch. I like the vintage feel to my current one, but could always use an alternative. That georg jensen watch is insane though, but i still like it.

BUMP

414MNxrjtTL._SS500_.jpg

"...in DKNY, got grymy niggaz wit me from DKNY!" - 50 Cent

this is probably a really dumb question but what exactly is an unbranded PAM?

A Panerai replica.

I recall someone here giving a particular replica watch website a good review.

Personally, I think replicas are lame.

Have a look a a genuine Hamilton, Tissot, Victorianox, or Seiko for the same money.

I've been seriously considering getting a new watch recently. My budget is around 15K-25K, max 30K.

I think I've narrowed it down to Audemars Piguet or A. Lange & Sohne in terms of design and size. Anybody have any opinions on these two makers...?

Watches I'm considering...

I really like this one from AP:

ap34.jpg

ap31_4.jpg

lan20_a.jpg

lan31_97.jpg