lets talk watches

poopie boy

I am thinking about changing the color of the original black leather strap of my Mark XVI.

I don't know which one to pick between navy blue or grey alligator. What do you think?

IWC_Mark_XVI.jpg

I don't think navy would look good with the black face. I've had my mark xv on a grey nato. grey gator would probably look okay.

yeah, menswear woo and shit, the Mk XVI would probably look most at home on an olive NATO and go from there. It's kind of ambiguous as to whether it's a propeller or jet-era styled Flieger (ex. Big Pilot is a take on pre/WWII-era Flieger, whereas the 3717 is definitely jet-age) - the Mk XVI can kinda do both because of the case and face design, the crown size, etc. Leather or NATO or would work but I prefer it on NATO. I don't really like the idea of it on exotic leather, it's not that kind of watch.

Posted · Hidden by vaguerant, April 2, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by vaguerant, April 2, 2012 - No reason given

leap day -- awesome for anyone who has a patek perpetual calendar.

also, my most recent purchase isn't even here yet and i'm thinkin about the next one..

interested in a laco or stowa as my next watch. Curious as to why you chose the laco over the stowa considering stowa generally ranks higher amongst horologists.

Aesthetically, I prefer the lacos so it makes the decision difficult

yeah, menswear woo and shit, the Mk XVI would probably look most at home on an olive NATO and go from there. It's kind of ambiguous as to whether it's a propeller or jet-era styled Flieger (ex. Big Pilot is a take on pre/WWII-era Flieger, whereas the 3717 is definitely jet-age) - the Mk XVI can kinda do both because of the case and face design, the crown size, etc. Leather or NATO or would work but I prefer it on NATO. I don't really like the idea of it on exotic leather, it's not that kind of watch.

for the mark xv, i agree with you, but they redesigned the case of the mark xvi to go away from the standard military style and more towards a dressier watch (more polished area, etc) so i think it would look okay on a croc. i think it's sold on a croc strap initially anyway. my mark xv is on an olive nato now, it's definitely the best look for the watch, but since the mark xvi is dressier, i don't know how it would look on a nato.

Edited by ericdw

don't people mostly buy Hadley Romas? I think bought a couple before, they're alright for what they are.

I went through a number of straps for my watch because hardly anybody makes a 17mm lug end strap in brown croc, and if they do they come with gold plated buckles - didn't want to mess up my original strap, it's still ok. I ended up going to some tiny (like 4'x4') watch shop in Harajuku next to Beams, he had a shoebox of NOS straps from different brands (not watchmaker brands, but strap brands)... I found the perfect one, dark brown croc, silver buckle, nice subtle padding. Wasn't cheap, but he gave me a discount on the spot.

376701_10100473380793050_15904009_53456278_556404668_n.jpg

Dis,

thanks for the heads up. love the JLC btw, what model is that?

thanks dus, it's the MC ultra thin (slim? i can't remember) - it's small in comparison to contemporary watches, it's like 34 or 35mm, and insanely thin. It wears kinda midsize on me, fits under shirt cuffs nicely.

I might get another dress watch this year (probably something a bit louder, but not too loud) but I will hold onto this JLC, i've got black and brown croc for it now and it really adds a classy touch to my suit looks.

Edited by dismalfuture

What country? Any authorized dealer in the US will give you 15-20% off list, more if you have a relationship with them. The same is true in most countries, although some Asian dealers, like in Hong Kong, aren't discounting their watches unless you've done a lot of business with them in the past, because, mainland Chinese are willing to pay list.

You can also try forum marketplaces, every now and then a brand new one will come around.

What country? Any authorized dealer in the US will give you 15-20% off list, more if you have a relationship with them. The same is true in most countries, although some Asian dealers, like in Hong Kong, aren't discounting their watches unless you've done a lot of business with them in the past, because, mainland Chinese are willing to pay list.

You can also try forum marketplaces, every now and then a brand new one will come around.

I find this pretty hard to believe - most US dealers are giving 5% discount if you're lucky, I shopped around hardcore and had to still pay list for the Sub LVc from an AD

Edited by chim

I find this pretty hard to believe - most US dealers are giving 5% discount if you're lucky, I shopped around hardcore and had to still pay list for the Sub LVc from an AD

I believe that Eric has gotten lucky with the dealers he's gone to. The two largest Rolex dealers in the Bay Area will give you 5% max, and that's even if you walk in wearing a Rolex, talk like you know what you're talking about, and pay in cash or a cashier's check.

@Kiya, just out of curiosity, which dealers are you referring to?

Also, have you had experience with the Rolex Authorized Service Center on Post? My Air King is acting up and I need to get an estimate on fixing it. Would prefer to go thru Rolex but if you've had any of your watches serviced by someone you trust in SF I'd love to know who they are before heading into the ASC.

@Kiya, just out of curiosity, which dealers are you referring to?

Also, have you had experience with the Rolex Authorized Service Center on Post? My Air King is acting up and I need to get an estimate on fixing it. Would prefer to go thru Rolex but if you've had any of your watches serviced by someone you trust in SF I'd love to know who they are before heading into the ASC.

Referring to Kern's (Burlingame) and Jade (SF).

I send all my watches to DeMesy for tuning/repairs.

bit random, but any good place to buy a new Rolex SS Submariner with Date for less than retail? $7900-$8000 retail price just is too high for me...

You won't find Rolex sport watches ever discounted. Although, I was recently in Cozumel and i think because of the conversion rate they were a little bit cheaper at 7600.

In terms of discounts, Datejust especially gold and or presidents generally have more room for price negotiations. Since you're in Atlanta, goto Brown and Co in Roswell, I got my Datejust there and they gave me 12% on a S/S.

Best bet is just to buy out of state so you can atleast save on tax...

Edited by shekki

Idk man, I havent had the same experience. I usually don't buy from anyone but the two or three shops my dad and I have used for years, but last time I bought a Rolex from a random AD walking in off the street (a GMT about a year ago), I got and a 18% discount. More recently, I sent a friend to one of the places I use a lot, and he got them down to 15% off for a sub before he used my name.

On another topic, the JLC reserve de marche I ordered in january is taking for ever to get here. So frustrating.