lets talk watches

poopie boy

currently interested in purchasing a steinhart ocean black dlc for use as a daily

anyone know how resistant the dlc coating is against everday wear?

also, whats the reserve time/minimum hours required for wear per day?

Most accurate automatic I own. The DLC is very tough, although if you wear it on the bracelet there will be more metal-metal contact and it will eventually patinate.

Not exactly sure how long the reserve is - you can wear it every other day and it'll stay wound.

Long shot, but can anyone identify the watch Panos is wearing?

tumblr_lncq4jU4Ft1qdppswo1_500.jpg

Its a Panerai watch. Can't really identify the model, it looks black but could be the lighting. Deffinetly a automatic model, possible a hommage looking at the colour of the numbers/indices.

Edited by PPS

Posted · Hidden by soundune, November 27, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by soundune, November 27, 2011 - No reason given

i see that on my 'hong kong' rolex all the time...

Anybody else with a sapphire crystal ever notice these lines in the right light? Was just turning my wrist and caught it out of the corner of my eye. Got me wondering if it's a normal thing.

Curious about people feelings towards swiss army/victorinox watches?

watchq.jpg

They seem to have reallly stepped up their game over the last few years, and my model of interest is a clous de paris automatic ( 241191). I love the clean look and the movement used seems to be quality

Any thoughts? I know this is a rather vauge question, but I am hoping some more educated minds could help influence my opinion

it's called reflection and refraction. part of the inside of your watch is being hit by light and then it is reflected along the inside of the crystal. this goes back and forth a couple of times. because the angle you are holding the watch at, some of the light is reflected back into the crystal (thus generating more images of rings) and some of it can exit the crystal so you can see it.

this can happen because your crystal is probably dome shaped

it's almost like looking at a clean windowpane, somehow you can see part of your reflection if the lighting is right.

Edited by redX

not sure how they picked up their game in the past couple years, but they've always used decent movements and make some okay field watches. that watch, however, is ugly.

Meh, to each their own, do you have any other suggestions?

It sounds as though they are nothing special, so are their other companies you would reccamend under $1000 that would be more worth the money

A good clean design with a prefferably auto movement. What about a Luminox airboss?

i highly recommend orient. for price/quality ratio, i dont think any company comes close - maybe seiko.

Thanks man

Like I said I know nothing about watch brands except for the usual big names. A throwback to military style is my favourite type of watch. Sinn is probably my favourite brand but I dont have the funds for one right now, maybe I should just save up for a sinn.

I dont want to cheap out when I dont need the watch immidiatly. I could be pushed into the $1500+ range if it gets me that much of a better watch

Edited by CUTUP

Meh, to each their own, do you have any other suggestions? It sounds as though they are nothing special, so are their other companies you would reccamend under $1000 that would be more worth the money A good clean design with a prefferably auto movement. What about a Luminox airboss?

For ~$1000 price range I'd look at some of the Hamilton field watches, Steinhart watches are very nic and well within your range, also, check out Aristo - German made, most ~$500 but have some models pushing $1000. Seiko make very nice watches and at reasonable prices. ultimate advice - browse watchuseek's forums to gain a good understanding of what's out there...