lets talk watches

poopie boy

do speedy's have issues with the hands and dials? 1996 seems pretty new to me...

The issue is with the tritium lume, it doesn't last as long as Luminova, Super Luminova, Lumibrite, etc. the modern lume equivalents. I edited the photo a bit so the patina the tritium has developed is not visible. At this point the tritium barely glows anymore.

never really been a fan of Omegas, but I've thought about getting a Speedy like that so many times - what are the differentiations between them? Some I see for like a stack, some I see for four, and to me they look identical. I know there's some wacky Moon Landing one and some other commemorative ones, but I think I recall seeing a good variety in prices on those? I'd be willing to own one for a G, but probably no more.

Sorry for the double post.

The ones you've seen for $1000 are most likely the Speedmaster Reduced. It uses an automatic movement and a 35.5mm case diameter. The Speedmaster Professional uses a manual automatic movement and has a 42mm case diameter. There's a few different versions of the newer Speedy Pro: one that pays homage to the original Speedmasters with a solid steel caseback and hesalite crystal, and another with a display back and sapphire crystal. Speedmasters using the old Cal. 321 movement are the ones you're seeing for $4000. There's a lot more details involving the various newer movements, but this sums up the prices you've seen.

yeah, the variety of speedy's always confuses me too. i remember looking at them a while back when i wanted to purchase my first "real" watch. i thought the crystal was acrylic? i guess that what hesalite is? scratches easier than sapphire right?

It doesn't have to be Ti, I'm goin budg. It'd probably be an Archimede Ti Pilot if I were having it all.

I need something lighter to knockaround daily. The Ocean Black is too heavy for everything, and truthfully the auto movement's longevity does worry me when I'm on a moto or gnarly bike rides, it's just shaking sooo much!

would of suggested that but unless its used I donl't think you'll find one for under 250

never really been a fan of Omegas, but I've thought about getting a Speedy like that so many times - what are the differentiations between them? Some I see for like a stack, some I see for four, and to me they look identical. I know there's some wacky Moon Landing one and some other commemorative ones, but I think I recall seeing a good variety in prices on those? I'd be willing to own one for a G, but probably no more.

like ntkt mentioned theres different caliber movements btwn the 1960s ones to the ones of today.

yeah, the variety of speedy's always confuses me too. i remember looking at them a while back when i wanted to purchase my first "real" watch. i thought the crystal was acrylic? i guess that what hesalite is? scratches easier than sapphire right?

yes hesalite is plexiglass and yes it scratches easier than sapphire but its also more shatter/shock proof then sapphire. Cousin had a speedy and somehow the watch got knocked off from his wrist and fell on the floor and the sapphire cracked, if it was hesalite shit would of been fine. Also you can polish plexi with an abrasive to make it look new again.

The issue is with the tritium lume, it doesn't last as long as Luminova, Super Luminova, Lumibrite, etc. the modern lume equivalents. I edited the photo a bit so the patina the tritium has developed is not visible. At this point the tritium barely glows anymore.

I get you now... Yes, my 50's Seamaster still glows a little... which is a little scary when you think about it.

Got that lovely dome though, and you can buff em right up.

Looking at trying to get a nice make with (probably) a quartz mvmt to keep the price down and vulnerability from heavy vibration lesser.

Got that lovely dome though, and you can buff em right up.

Looking at trying to get a nice make with (probably) a quartz mvmt to keep the price down and vulnerability from heavy vibration lesser.

maybe a G-Shock GW-3000BB? shock or vibrations def. won;t be a problem for it

http://mygshock.com/2011/05/05/g-aviation-gw3000bb-1a-g-shock-us-release/

I think I gonna get this instead this weekend:

9d83b4e76404b5299efcb266.jpg

Probably replace the oyster with a nato.

I thought it was wacky when i first got it, but in person, its fits the watch pretty well. and i will not opp for the nato, the watch is gonna be top heavy. get the marinemaster rubber strap instead.

Sorry for the double post.

The ones you've seen for $1000 are most likely the Speedmaster Reduced. It uses an automatic movement and a 35.5mm case diameter. The Speedmaster Professional uses a manual automatic movement and has a 42mm case diameter. There's a few different versions of the newer Speedy Pro: one that pays homage to the original Speedmasters with a solid steel caseback and hesalite crystal, and another with a display back and sapphire crystal. Speedmasters using the old Cal. 321 movement are the ones you're seeing for $4000. There's a lot more details involving the various newer movements, but this sums up the prices you've seen.

There's also the "Co-Axial Chronometer" version which sports a fancier movement and a 44mm case diameter. That version retails at something like 7k EUR.

But I'd stick with the original...

SKX007 is meant for professional diving, so the 7s26 movement should be reliable. Unless you scuba for a living, being off by just a few seconds isn't going to kill you. For $200 the watch is insane value.

Having said that my sk007 is off by 5 seconds or so

edit: I gave my sumo to my dad since he liked it so much, and settled on a black SK007 with rubber strap instead. Definately looks really good, and it even got a friend, whose a die-hard sub fan, to ask where could he buy the watch.

I recently bought my first expensive watch.

I chose a Rolex Submariner (no date). Admittedly common but not as faddish/GQ as an IWC (in my opinion) and more versatile.

I removed the metal bracelet on day 1 and had a khaki nato strap while I waited for a custom leather band:

something is off here

I recently bought my first expensive watch.

I chose a Rolex Submariner (no date). Admittedly common but not as faddish/GQ as an IWC (in my opinion) and more versatile.

I removed the metal bracelet on day 1 and had a khaki nato strap while I waited for a custom leather band:

Is that your watch? Or is that a photo you got elsewhere?

I agree that something just isn't right. It's just not true to the heritage of the sub. Probably the same reason I'm not a huge fan of that regular oyster on a NATO a few pages back.

I think it's cool to mix it up... but I'd stick with NATOs or the stock oyster bracelet if it were my Sub.