lets talk watches

poopie boy

I'm looking for a new watch and I have a few requirements.

- Must be heavy duty waterproof for surfing. I'm talking like 200-300m capable. I've had so called 100m capable watches that ate it during hold downs.

- Must be lightweight, have a rubber band, and preferably a plastic ring around the dial if any. Metal has dinged my board in the past.

- An easy to read face would be nice.

- That being said, must not be massive.

- I'd also like it to look half decent out of the water

- Must be under $250 new/used. Cheaper the better.

In the past I had a nixon that was surf waterproof but it felt like a 100lb weight after an hour of paddling and the metal band and casing dinged my board and my fucking skull when I bailed. No need for that.

Things I'm looking at are luminox seal watches

3051_luminox-watch.jpg

Some of the victorinox watches like this guy:

sa_241343_sol_a03.jpg

And then, the most likely ones are the timexes:

rD33VKXv0Xayr_fxJ6y5zQdgk6KV1A0_dWrNPhuBGmx_5pyH1xzxaYuSxqtKSOBUkYd4pXmVmoiaAN8J8vn3EXv2VHNr_UBvC8us8dOfDMdkt3W9_M74lTQlEAaTZIqGtVeIHUGKLpwqfUycVzRePfEXER3nMszmFETxfficEcQ0dA

I'm leaning towards the luminox because i think they look alright in person and they meet most of my requirements, but the Timex seems the most sensible/easy to find cheap.

I'm looking for a new watch and I have a few requirements.

- Must be heavy duty waterproof for surfing. I'm talking like 200-300m capable. I've had so called 100m capable watches that ate it during hold downs.

- Must be lightweight, have a rubber band, and preferably a plastic ring around the dial if any. Metal has dinged my board in the past.

- An easy to read face would be nice.

- That being said, must not be massive.

- I'd also like it to look half decent out of the water

- Must be under $250 new/used. Cheaper the better.

In the past I had a nixon that was surf waterproof but it felt like a 100lb weight after an hour of paddling and the metal band and casing dinged my board and my fucking skull when I bailed. No need for that.

Things I'm looking at are luminox seal watches

3051_luminox-watch.jpg

Some of the victorinox watches like this guy:

sa_241343_sol_a03.jpg

And then, the most likely ones are the timexes:

rD33VKXv0Xayr_fxJ6y5zQdgk6KV1A0_dWrNPhuBGmx_5pyH1xzxaYuSxqtKSOBUkYd4pXmVmoiaAN8J8vn3EXv2VHNr_UBvC8us8dOfDMdkt3W9_M74lTQlEAaTZIqGtVeIHUGKLpwqfUycVzRePfEXER3nMszmFETxfficEcQ0dA

I'm leaning towards the luminox because i think they look alright in person and they meet most of my requirements, but the Timex seems the most sensible/easy to find cheap.

Wouldn't it just be easier not to wear a watch when surfing? I always used to take mine off.

If you do have to wear one, something on a NATO strap is probably better than on a rubber strap because if one of the spring bars breaks at least it will stay on. You could look into having the lugs drilled and have fixed bars instead of spring bars, then you'd almost certainly never have it ripped off when you go through the ringer.

or surfer dude should get a g-shock

surfing with a wristwatch would seem to shatter all the poetic aura of the activity

Agreed 100%, however, gotta get my fix before work which requires a watch. That being said, the best days of surfing are the days without.

On the topic of g-shocks, just not into them. Again, the goal is to be able to wear it out of the water and not look like a 12 year old.

Solid advice on the no spring/nato strap thing. Seems like a good idea.

I'll look in to wenger, any other brands/models to consider? Specifically, what are the better/more desireable models of Seiko Divers and things that look like them?

Most dive watches are pretty heavy though, so I don't know if that's really the way to go. Also I'd be concerned about fucking up the board. I know you don't like G-Shocks, but I can't think of anything better for the task.

41oD5x4RwAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'd pick up a cheap G-Shock and swap it out for a nicer watch when you get out of the water.

edit: did a quick search on watchuseek, and this guy (Citizen BN0000-04H) came recommended. looks like it'd be pretty comfortable.

BN0000-04H.jpg

looks nice on a nato, too. you know, if that's your thing...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCipEk9D_UM8f1h6cEX1L4_v62V74zD4133yQO-CUTJOGPfoJRHg&t=1

Most dive watches are pretty heavy though, so I don't know if that's really the way to go. Also I'd be concerned about fucking up the board. I know you don't like G-Shocks, but I can't think of anything better for the task.

41oD5x4RwAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'd pick up a cheap G-Shock and swap it out for a nicer watch when you get out of the water.

edit: did a quick search on watchuseek, and this guy (Citizen BN0000-04H) came recommended. looks like it'd be pretty comfortable.

BN0000-04H.jpg

looks nice on a nato, too. you know, if that's your thing...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCipEk9D_UM8f1h6cEX1L4_v62V74zD4133yQO-CUTJOGPfoJRHg&t=1

How about buying a cheap gshock or digital and gluing it to the board? :D

Hmm...not sure that's gonna be in his price range.

I have the SKX173 on my wrist right now. Best watch pickup I've made in awhile.

if you are going to invest in something like a panerai, there are so many other respectable watch brands out there. Take a look at IWC, JLC and Omega. You're paying the 6-7k for more of a fashion statement with a Panerai than paying for the movement and the history behind it. In my IMO, Panerai's resale value is not that good either.

i say nay on the B+R.... other watches out there that I'd rather have if just going for a pilot's watch, or alternatively just a 'big' watch.

unrelated, but I like this watch, kind of interesting. Not really into NATOs but I'd put this one on an olive one:

http://www.jackroad.co.jp/product_info.php?products_id=24262

Has anyone had any experience with Invicta watches?

I've passed over a few Invicta watched before. Friends have had them. I've seen QVC slanging them on late night TV.

They just rub me the wrong way. I feel like there are a lot of other options out there for the kind of money you'll spend on an Invicta watch.

Seiko, Steinhart, Archimede, O&W, etc., etc.,

There are quite a few Invicta enthusiasts on forums like Watchuseek but I'd say don't waste your money.

i'm very contemplating buying a Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic. but a 500€ watch is the last thing I need lately... and my good old Seiko still works like the day I bought it. The painted indexes are kind of starting their patina thing, and the rotating bezel is scratched from opening beers with it, it really looks great now... hum well i'll just leave a picture of the Hamilton and that's it.

ha015_im.jpg

Ryan I'd scope that citizen. Still just not into G-shocks. If I'm going that route I'll just get another timex ironman. Anyone know any good used watch shops in nyc that might stock seiko/citizen similar quality?

g-shock > timex ironman

no one is telling you to get the colored ones or the ones with wacky designs, theres plenty of G's out there that don;t look like they are for 12 year olds.

Most of those Sekio's/Citizens listed in the last few pages are cheap already brand new, no clue why you would need to buy it used, unless its in good condition and a good price.