lets talk watches

poopie boy

I agree with Faust regarding watches between $30 and $1000, with one exception: LED watches from Tokyoflash. You can get models that are totally unique in both form and function for less than $200 in most cases. Your not paying for a fine mechanical movement so your money goes toward design.

While I still like my GMT-Master II & Speedmaster, I'm really getting into non-US Seiko's.

While I used to adopt the same mindset as Faust with regard to watches in the $100 - $2000 price range, I've discovered the Seiko lineup outside the US is really quite astonishing with regard to quality vs. cost and ultimately style.

This is my latest pickup, and my favorite watch right now (until I replace it with an A. Lange & Sohne) -

IWC Portuguese...I'm in love ever since the day we met. :)

I have a 3 year old Tag Carrera. If McQueen wore it, it's cool enough for me.

Also, I did check out Sinn. Pretty solid, military style watches, and great for days when you don't want to risk the Panerai/Breitling/Patek.

Definitely agree on the IWC Portuguese. I was looking at the stainless steel model on blue crocodile strap at the watch convention held at Siam Paragon. Now that is a real watch. In house movement with seven day power reserve. 42mm housing. They were willing to go with 25% off of retail with another 7% VAT off collectible when you leave the country. Definitely tempting. Not feeling any of the new Pilots that came out this year. I picked up a IWC 3706 Pilot Chrono about a year ago in NYC and it has become one of my favorite watches. IMHO, IWC watches are timeless. Most are simple, amazingly well-crafted and minimally designed. You either love them or hate them.

While Panerai's success is attributed to mostly excellent marketing and supply restrictions, I can't help but want to pick one up. It's the perfect weekend beater watch with a t-shirt and jeans. Despite it's shortcomings i.e., generic modified ETA movements, recent quality compromises due to increased demand and popularity, etc. , it's a great watch to have when you're young before you starting wanting to buy Pateks, Vacherons and Audemars Piguets. Loving the PAM 164, PAM 25 titanium submersible, and PAM 199 Waffle-faced Regatta.

With watches, I would say buy the watch that you absolutely love and want to pass down to your kids. Patek's motto, "You never really own a Patek, you just hold on to it for the next generation," rings true.

does movado make more than just watches

cause i was working a garage sale the other day

and i was sifting through the random shit

and i saw some shoes that were labeled movado

and i was like wtf?

they make pens and cufflinks and all that usual filler shit, and some jewelry.

speaking from experience - am lucky to have my dad's sizeable collection to raid at will - but by no means with expertise, a rolex submariner - the basic SS model - will go with just about anything, smart to casual. if you're looking for something in the $4,000 range, this is it for me. and they keep their value very well.

despite all the hype and the fact that they're being worn to death in asia (at least by anyone who can afford them - and there are still waiting lists at authorized dealers, in bangkok, at least), i think panerais are nice on their own merit. the most basic model will set you back $3,500ish.

to me, the pateks and breguets etc. are mostly dress watches - superb dress watches, but i rarely find myself wearing these at the weekends. obviously there are exceptions - patek nautilus (may be) or breuget type xx, but currently on heavy rotation during the weekends are rolex sea dweller, panerai PAM 90 (power reserve), cartier santos 100.

too jacques cousteau for my taste.. isn't the knob usually on the right side of the watch btw?

Yep, Coustea's team dove with these, among other watches. The crown originally came at the 9 o'clock position to reduce wrist chafing, but it can be switched. Puppy is big - 55mm wide, but wears great.

Here is a photo of a watch that I wear and really like...a Precista Royal Navy Diver watch issued in 1988 to British Royal Navy Divers....complete with all offical markings on the case back. There are probably less than 20 of these watches in the world....(best guess). The pictured watch is from 1989 and mine is from 1988. Sinn also used the same case for the 815.

Precista.jpg

I bought it off a forum member from the MWR forum.

http://www.mwrforum.net/cgi-bin/px.pl

It is sort of doubtful that you will find another like it as they are pretty rare birds. But a great dive watch with a cool history is the CWC RN Diver. You can usually pick them up for around $400 or so. I would suggest you get one that has been issued and carries the appropiate issue markings. The cool thing is that they are only so many of these watches and they have a cool history to them....as a result I wouldn't expect the watches to loss value and only gain in their worth. Plus let some commando put the first few scratches on them for you!

I'm into horology, my current fav: (you can click on the image for a few more pictures)

R.X.W. MM20

64987977_1a56fb30e5.jpg

Also have an Omega Bond:

149631319_2648691fea.jpg

and I'm very close to pulling the trigger on another watch, the Omega Speedy Broad Arrow s/s white/cream dial with blue hands/markings, it looks like this:

209546641_5b7ea16821.jpg

I'm also considering a Zenith El Primero, but the new ones are IMO kindda ugly, so I will have wait for a nice used one come up...