lets talk watches

poopie boy

okay, so i've never ever been into watches, i always would say that by the time i had enough money to buy myself a really nice watch, my life would be too fast paced to care about time.. so they never interested me.

but now, i kind of want one.

whats some unique and really cool styles of watches you guys have/have seen?

i want to see whats out there before i make a decision.

so far i've been eyeing something like this: a russian ww2 diver's watch.

2.jpg

4.jpg

i don't know how big that is on my wrist, i don't want something humongous, though.

any other kinds of cool watches?

People are going to tell you to 'use the fucking search function' but I'm kind of hoping that this thread yields some quality replies, as I happen to be looking for a new watch. Something a bit more modern but versatile, I've been wearing a Heuer 6000 for the past 6 years and now it's a bit long in the tooth.

I like the Dior watches but can see those being less cool once something new and improved comes along, though they're made by Zenith which makes them fucking tempting. Otherwise I haven't seen anything I really love, besides just 'nice' watches I will probably get once I turn old enough to wear one of them without looking like a prick.

That WW2 Russian diver's watch is cool, what would that cost? I've seen nice cheap military-style watches for as low as $60 (I think they were Seikos) or you could go all the way up to something like a Panerai, which is similar to that Russian diver's watch with the huge knob and graphic face.

i could use the search function and never post again.

the thing is that more people with more input are now on the board that weren't in old posts, and new watches have been made and different kinds of old watches have been found since then.

so why not start a new thread?

the pictures of the one i posted is roughly $180-200

ehhck movado is ultra tacky + non functional ruining supposed design

OP are u familiar with panerai? similar style to the pic u posted. that one you posted the band is horrible on it, could be better if replaced

i pretty much havent used watches since the advent of the cell phone tho

^ Daytona! I wouldn't wear it for fear of gettng jacked!

Omega's are nice too. I've always admired the Speedmasters.

If you want a dive watch and don't want to spend a grip, look at some Seiko's. I like the Seiko SKX007 and SKXA53. I'm right about to order the SKXA55 because it has an orange face. All three can be found for $200ish each.

I have a Rolex stainless Oyster Perp. my dad handed down to me but my favorite watches are by Casio and Seiko. Go figure.

On my list is a Baume & Mercier 8245 which has a solid gold case and croc. band. That joint is going to cost though so I'm saving up.

I'm a big fan of the Seiko 5 line of watches. Very well made reliable automatics in a variety of styles for about $60 from over the ocean. They're cheap enough they're generally not worth faking and there are several reliable dealers on e-bay. I have one that's very similar in appearance to a rolex explorer, just simple and classic. The Seiko Monster series of automatic dive watches is highly regarded among watch type guys. Check out the poor man's watch forum for some really good watch advice and a look at a wide variety of watches. http://www.pmwf.com/cgi-bin/Forum/webbbs_config.cgi

If you like unique watch faces and ways to read time without any "hands" or numbers, checkout TOKYOFLASH. Their watches are the shiznit and almost all under 200 dollars. I don't really wear a wath nowadays, but maybe next summer when it's too hot to rock anything but shorts and a T-shirt, I'll definitely be wearing one of these to convey my elitist-(yet frugal)bastard sense of style.

right now i'm looking at :

under $250

-technomarine

-emporio armani

-kenneth cole

-DKNY

-guy laroche

Ok, I usually don't butt in, but buying a "fashion" watch is like buying a turd in a candy wrapper. It is nothing but exercise in wastefulness. There is only one advice in buying watches, either you pay $30 or $3000 - all that middle range crap is complete garbage.

Your over $1k list is good, though, although I think Breitling > Tag.

My personal favorite, if I ever will buy one (which I probably won't) is IWC. http://www.iwc.ch

My other favorite that I know I'll never buy (unless I hit the lotto or write a bestseller) is Breguet.

To those who mentioned Panerai, I also like it a lot, but I'm afraid it's a fad that won't last (if you care about such a thing).

okay, so i've never ever been into watches, i always would say that by the time i had enough money to buy myself a really nice watch, my life would be too fast paced to care about time.. so they never interested me.

but now, i kind of want one.

whats some unique and really cool styles of watches you guys have/have seen?

i want to see whats out there before i make a decision.

so far i've been eyeing something like this: a russian ww2 diver's watch.

2.jpg

4.jpg

i don't know how big that is on my wrist, i don't want something humongous, though.

any other kinds of cool watches?

If you like russian military waytches, try the following....poljot, really good watches + not very expensive!!

http://www.poljot.com/

Cheers