lets talk watches

poopie boy

I have a dilemma...

I have a Rolex DJ, a DH (Zenith), and a few others...

I've wanted a Seiko Grand for a couple of years now but the ONLY thing holding me back is this..

I like metal bands, i'm not that into leather bands... I really dislike most of the bands that come with the SG line, the two models i'm looking at are the SBGM003 and the SBGA001.

Any suggestions?

Should i just get one of them even if i'm not terribly into the bands?

I don't like buying a watch for 4K or 5K then taking the band off to put on an aftermarket band..

^ Agreed. I believe the SBGW005 bracelet can be outfitted on the SBGM003 as well. About the SBGM007, it could have a silver face -- or maybe not. I've seen so many pictures of it (including official Seiko images) and at times it's looked identical to the cream face of the 003.

Kiya, tough choice. I've always wanted a Spring Drive myself. Some things to consider are obviously the difference in movement, case shape (003 is a bit more classic imo), and weight.

FYI, Seiko recently updated their GS site with detailed images for most of the line up: http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/gs/collection/all.html

There's nothing wrong with swapping out the bracelet, especially if you pony up for an authentic high-end Seiko bracelet. Think of it as keeping the OG strap minty for resale value.

Can any of you watch-gurus point me in the direction of a site that sells watch bands of decent quality? I don't have an expensive watch, but I would much rather have a different strap that is on it at the moment.

Budget for the straps are $0-$100 if that helps.

not a watch expert at all, but I saw an all black Audemars in a magazine the other day that I thought was dope. Forgot the name, probably isn't worth the price though, especially if its off the market and getting hyped up.

The best and most solid investments in watches (other than the obv. Rolex mention) are PP's imho...too bad they do not suit my style.

On another note, I think Richard Mille is the biggest nouveau riche travesty excuse for "high end" anything I've seen in a while.

depends on what you want?

there are a couple quality leather strap makers that advertise on timezone.

A soft band would be nice. I don't say just "leather" because I do not want to limit myself to that option...

The only types of bands I'm not considering are metal bands.

Does this help? Thanks if you can reccomend me some places!

I don't remember all the specific makers but look on ebay for "hirsch watch", the sellers who sell Hirsch straps will have many other top level aftermarket brands. Most are well under $100

• 2 weeks later...

What kinda watch is a western shirt/denim wearing modern day cowboy supposed to wear anyways?

How wealthy is the "modern day cowboy"?

This is what I'm wearing right now....a grad gift from the parents last year...I know the styling is a bit bland, but I really like it.

4996674?$detail475$

I really want one of these, but I probably won't be able to afford one on my own anytime soon....maybe in 20 years?

4303628?$detail475$

yeah, agreed. i've got three watches i'll never sell. a breitling chonomat as a graduation gift, blancpain villeret as a wedding gift, both from my parents. and a $200 rlt watch co slim that my wife gave me when we were dating that i don't even like any more. everything else is fair game to trade up except for those three.

that being said, i really don't like that tag and don't buy the omega. save up and get something better.

what the fuck kinda person sells gifts they get from their parents? thats fucked up i think. am i not old enough to understand the struggles of dudes trying to step their watch game up?

Hey man it was just an idea. If the roles were reversed I wouldnt mind my dad selling a tag I bought him and getting something better.