lets talk watches

poopie boy

that looks great. but you actually wear that, like, often? i've always wanted a nice pocketwatch, just to have, but what would i wear it with? a top hat and a monocle?

I wear it everyday.

It's not as costumey as one would imagine as the appearance is not dissimilar to a chain wallet some people wear in their trousers.

so you just keep it in your pants pocket? it's not like you wear a three piece suit everyday and keep it in your vest pocket? that would be much cooler.

edit - and that case looks like it's in great shape for how you use it.

I only wear a three-piece to pool parties.

However, one of my previous WAYWT posts showed the watch & chain in action.

• 2 weeks later...
Where have all the watchmen gone?

Anybody own any OLLECH & WAJS watches?

i used to have a Flieger Chrono, but sold it a little while ago. the 1000m caribbean is on my list, but it keeps getting knocked down lower and lower.

what do you want to know about them?

oh, and i was at my watch guy's shop this weekend and he had a LV Sub in stock. the watch that's been at the top of the list since it came out. it took a full day for my wife to talk me out of buying it. i still have it on hold until tomorrow morning so i'm gonna take another swing at it tonight. stupid fuckin credit crisis, who knows if i'll have a job in three months. but who knows when the next i'll find another anniversary suuuuuuub... fuck.

retail is 6400 and there isn't much room for negotiation on watches with wait-lists. and resale isn't that strong, about 25% below retail. which is about the same loss i would have taken if i put $6400 in a mutual fund last year, so hey... lol

hopefully i'll be able to find one when i'm ready to pull the trigger. TZ says they're not all that rare anymore, but i've never actually seen a new one at an AD before.

they are a legit grey market shop - meaning they sell real watches but are not authorized dealers so the manufacturer's warranties don't apply. imho their prices aren't low enough to justify giving up the warranty.

These days you can pretty much walk into say Tourneau and just glance at a watch and they will immediately offer you like 30% off retail.

haha. i fuckin hate that place. the time machine is just a tourist trap. and i'm pretty sure they jack up their prices so they can give "better" deals, even though AD's aren't generally allowed to list a price higher than MSRP, tourneau definitely had a mark xvi a few hundred over last time i was there.

20% is the standard for a random guy off the street for most brands at a random jeweler. you can usually work it to 25%. if you have a preexisting relationship with an AD, you'll get 30%. but if you're paying more than 80% on a watch that readily available, you're getting fucked in the ass.

I don't really know much about watches, but I've seen someone at work wearing an "Eberhard." Is this a decent watch brand?

yes it's a decent watch brand !